android
Old 11-01-2011, 08:07 AM

Default A good first MP3 player for an 8-year old?

I'm leaning towards a Sansa Fuse (not the plus). He's 8, so I want something small and simple to use. He has a habit of forgetting things places, so I'd like something small enough to pocket comfortably, yet big enough to not overlook. I figure the Fuse is the right size and is a quality player.

Can you think of any other players worth consideration? The Clip Zip might be an option, I'll let him try my Clip+ to see if he likes the controls. What about the Creative ZEN Style M300? Is that worth a look? I need small, easy and good sound quality, and inexpensive. I'm in North America, so anything available here is fair game.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I guess a Clip+ or Fuze would be okay, although some Sony models have a parental setting for volume limiting. Sony makes a headphone for children which is said to be designed for a child around 8, and has a sensitivity of only 90 db/mw, so it won't play too loud. The question is will the volume be enough though with a Clip+ or Fuze? I guess there are some other headphones around with an efficiency of around 95, although they may not be small enough for an 8 year old child. Imo choosing the headphones is much more difficult than choosing the player.

Many people have been buying the Slotradio To Go player for a child. It is $12.49 and comes with a 500 song card.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-222KD.../dp/B00172T3Q2

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SlotRa...0164944&sr=8-1

Last edited by JK98; 11-01-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 AM

You can look at the Creative ZEN Stone Plus and if you don't want him using headphones it has a Speaker. Also it has parental controls so you can set the highest point the player will allow a user to max the volume. Even though I started my kids at 5 & 6 years old with this player for that feature, I'd still go with the Clip. Good luck and let us know what you decide ...

Edit: iirc mine moved to the clip by 7 yro that's why I said I'd start an 8 yro with the clip. They adapt quicker than you think, mine were using rockbox by the time they were 8 or 9 yro.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 11-01-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post
I'm in North America, so anything available here is fair game.
North America? USA or Canada? Much less available in Canada.

Steve

Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
North America? USA or Canada? Much less available in Canada.
He's in the usa ...

Old 11-04-2011, 07:48 AM

I ended up going with an 8 GB Sony Walkman S-544. My whole family hates the touch controls on my old iPod Nano, so the Fuze+ was out. I liked the clip, but it is small, and she-who-must-be-obeyed "suggested" something a little bigger for him. He mostly listens to music and books on tap in bed or at night on car trips on the way home from ski country. I know the Sony does not support Audible, but Audible prices are ridiculous,so we by discount CDs from Amazon or look for things at the library.

I added the Sony headphones recommended by JK98 for each of my kids. Nice pink ones for my 10 year old, there will be no confusion. Now I'll be browsing threads for portable speaker recommendations so the kids don't need headphones in bed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Good choice. You might also want to look into "kid-safe" headphones. Sucks loosing your hearing before your 20s.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post
I ended up going with an 8 GB Sony Walkman S-544. My whole family hates the touch controls on my old iPod Nano, so the Fuze+ was out. I liked the clip, but it is small, and she-who-must-be-obeyed "suggested" something a little bigger for him. He mostly listens to music and books on tap in bed or at night on car trips on the way home from ski country. I know the Sony does not support Audible, but Audible prices are ridiculous,so we by discount CDs from Amazon or look for things at the library.

I added the Sony headphones recommended by JK98 for each of my kids. Nice pink ones for my 10 year old, there will be no confusion. Now I'll be browsing threads for portable speaker recommendations so the kids don't need headphones in bed. Thanks for the suggestions.
The S544 comes with speakers built in. Don't know what the quality is like but I figure they're probably great for lying in bed.

Steve

Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Good choice. You might also want to look into "kid-safe" headphones. Sucks loosing your hearing before your 20s.
These headphones are supposed to be kids safe. Most of the negative reviews on Amazon complain that they are too low. For $10, I'm more concerned about sound quality than low volume, if the sound is clear, you don't need it to be loud.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:12 AM

Hello
I'm in simular situation. I'm going to purchase a sansa clip + or zip 4gb along with soundmagic e30 Or either a Philips gogear ariaz3 4gb or a Sony Nwz e-463 4gb. I think i'm leaning more towards the philips or sony because of the build in speaker.
The mp3 player is a present to my 8 year old niece. The choise with sansa and soundmagic was mainly because, that would be what i personally would have chosen. I have the impression that that the sony and philips, comes with decent headphones. I also asuemed, that all 3 players have parental controls.
what would you choose of the 3.
thanks

Old 12-04-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClausG76 View Post
... I also asuemed, that all 3 players have parental controls. ...
AFAIK the only player I've ever seen with parental controls is the zen stone. That said I was thinking if you go with the Clip, you could always change the region to EU and that would limit max volume. BTW the parental controls on the zen were numerous years ago and were controlled from the pc software w/pass word, but I haven't checked their latest fw upgrades or software since my kids out grew the stone.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:50 AM

Thanks i already live in EU, so i guess it will come with EU firmware.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClausG76 View Post
Thanks i already live in EU, so i guess it will come with EU firmware.
Keep in mind that is easily changed ...

Old 12-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

An ipod has parental controls, and the ability to create a set volume level and use a passcode to prevent it from being changed. Even though some might dislike the ipod, it's got the feature you need the most to safeguard a child's hearing. Plus, if you get the ipod touch, you can also set the device to only allow age-appropriate apps - a big deal nowadays.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:41 AM

I'm not worried about that she would go change it. Just that she forgets to take care, and plays to loud without thinking about it.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Then I'd worry, as an adult you know better & she doesn't.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:05 AM

Of course but she wouldn't even know how to change the fw. Or that it would change the volume limit. The philips has a feature called safesound. I think i will check out the features on the sony and philips players, before purchase, if its possible.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 AM

My friend's little girl got given a shuffle for her birthday and some limiting headphones, when it comes to kids and music devices I think the simpler the better, especially when they are so young. She mostly uses her iCat with it when she is at home or falling to sleep (its a crappy little light up novelty speaker that she loves, also stops her wearing headphones at night as her mum isn't fond of her using the headset in bed or iem's at all). It is always a set up I would recommend as she has done so well with it, though the samsung tictoc is also an option, the software that comes with it is much neater and simpler than iTunes and prettier which is a factor for little girls in their enjoyment of things, my friend's girl does do quite well borrowing it from her mum when the shuffle is lost somewhere in her room

Stuff: Nokia Lumia 800, Sansa Clip+ 8gb+32gb card, Zune 30, Sony MDR EX35, Radiopaq Pop/Rock/Jazz, Phonak Audéo PFE 012, Panasonic RP-HTx7

Last edited by Addicted; 12-04-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Imo getting an iem for a child is a bad idea. While you may not like the Sony children's headphone, imo it is the best idea for a child under 11 or so.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:47 PM

Hello again
I just ordered the Philips Ariaz3 4gb last night. I needed to take a decision, to be sure to get it before christmas. If the safesound feature isn't good enough, we will get the childrens phones for her.
Thanks