android
Old 04-16-2016, 11:45 AM

Default Rockbox gets hosed. No .rockbox directory. Installation incomplete

This is now the second time it has happened. I will boot up my Zip Clip, and I will get the error "No .rockbox directory. Installation incomplete." The only way I resolved it last time it happened was to completely uninstall Rockbox and reinstall.

Right now, tho, I haven't been able to boot up the original firmware (stuck on Refreshing Your Media right now). I'm strongly suspecting that it is a hardware issue. Any advice is welcome.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-16-2016, 12:19 PM

The filesystem is likely corrupted.

1) Do not uninstall Rockbox again. The bootloader has a nice recovery mode that you don't want to lose.
2) Power off device, hold select and plug the Zip into Windows. The screen will probably be black but it should mount.
3) Check the filesystem for errors using chkdsk.
4) If the filesystem was corrupted, simply reinstall Rockbox (again, do not uninstall).

I suggest only using OFW when you connect your Zip to other devices if that was the issue; Rockbox's USB on the Zip isn't completely stable AFAIK.

If that wasn't the issue then report back. Checking whether the .rockbox directory actually exists would be nice, too.

Last edited by G4Oblivion; 04-16-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:41 PM

Interestingly enough, the problem seems to have fixed itself. After trying to run the original firmware, I plugged it in using the Rockbox firmware and it loaded normally. I did a disc scan and it seemed to find errors and fix them. I since tried playing music and it seemed to work normally.

This is a better result than last time. The one thing I forgot to mention was that last time I had to format the player (using the original firmware) because while I could see the drive on my PC, I couldn't access anything on it.

I've always had some odd behavior with Rockbox and this player. At times it will just lock up for no reason in the middle of playing and I have to do a hard shutdown. There are also times it won't turn on and I basically have to do a hard shutdown to get it to turn on. I generally live with it because I like Rockbox and there are few options for MP3 players, but it is a pain.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:24 AM

There's a good chance the issues you experienced were because the filesystem was corrupted. As I said before, from now on only use the OFW when you connect your Zip to other devices (e.g. computer to transfer music) instead of Rockbox and always make sure to safely remove/eject the Zip from devices before unplugging.

Glad you were able to figure it out