android
Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 PM

Default E464 Service menu? (Volume problems)

It seems this model is plagued by the similar super low volume problems of other MP3 players. However, I can't find a way to access the service menu to attempt to change it. I've tried the [>] -> [<] -> [VOL +] -> [VOL ] -> [>] -> [<] -> [OPTION] -> [BACK] -> [OPTION] -> [BACK] but it doesn't seem to work? Or am I just doing it wrong?
I'm only trying to increase the volume. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Administrator

No one has posted anything here on how to enter the service menu on the newer Sony models. If they ever do I would think very carefully about accessing the service menu. No one has reported being able to increase the volume without breaking something else. The most common issue has been changing the reception range of the radio and not being able to change it back. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=60370

There is one member here that says they were able to do it but had to send the player back a while later with a "defective" radio. They also made several other claims as to the effects they were able to achieve but never posted their exact steps so it was never confirmed by anyone else. Adding all that together I doubt they actually accomplished what they think they did.

The players by several other makers can remove the EU volume limit through a firmware update. Sansa, Samsung and Cowon are the first brands to come to mind. If possible you may want to return the one you have and consider purchasing one of those instead.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 AM

Yeah I've read about the issues of the radio breaking. However, this is a pretty non-essential feature to me and would be a pretty worthy sacrifice.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Then it seems all you can do is hang in there until someone finds the combination to enter the service menu. Sometimes it's been months from the time when the new Sonys come out before anyone posts how to do that so you may need to be patient.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:19 AM

Ah I see. Thank you for the quick replies.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 AM

I have a NWZ E354 and am able to get into the service menu and haven't had issues with losing FM functionality yet (I've accessed it maybe 15 times over the course of having the player). I use it to boost the Volume and T-Gain/B-Gain settings. I'm not sure if the Volume Boost works or not because I did it from the first day I received it. In any case, are you sliding the hold button before you enter the sequence?

This is how I do it, but keep in mind, do this at your own risk and if you brick your player I'm not responsible. OK here's the steps:

1) Make sure that the AVLS (Volume limiting) is turned OFF before doing this or the tweak will not work (AVLS can be checked/turned off in: Main menu -->Settings-->Common Settings-->AVLS)
2) Go to the main menu of the player
3) Turn Hold ON (little slide button on right-hand side of player
4) Now press these keys in order:
right --> left --> volume UP --> volume DOWN --> right --> left --> option --> back --> option --> back
5) The player should restart and go into the service menu mode. Turn "hold" off. If you are seeing what looks like a video test screen, just press the play/pause button, and the service menu will now be displayed.
6) Navigate to "Audio", then move right to "Maxout". Hit play/pause to select maxout, and you will hear a loud 1 Khz beep at full volume coming from your earphones...REMEMBER TO TAKE OFF EARPHONES. Let the beep sound for a few seconds, then hit the "back(home) button to return to the left side of the service menu. Navigate down to "exit test mode", hit "play/Pause" to select, then hit it again to confirm "yes" to exit test mode- and you're done.
7) If you enter the service menu any time after doing this or make any other changes in the service menu after doing the maxout, it will negate the effects of what you just did and you will need to do it again to retain the increased volume level.

If you've been doing that then I guess it doesn't work on the 464. Hope that helps you If not then just go with Skip and try one of those other players haha.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Hi

I'm trying to boost the volume output on an e464 for connection to a PA system - the headphones level output is just too quiet for this

I have managed to get into the service menu, I want to change the maxout to line out / fixed volume, but once I have selected this there doesn't seem to be any way of confirming / saving my choice. Then when I exit the menu it reverts to headphone level output again

Any help gratefully received

Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG63 View Post
Hi

I'm trying to boost the volume output on an e464 for connection to a PA system - the headphones level output is just too quiet for this

I have managed to get into the service menu, I want to change the maxout to line out / fixed volume, but once I have selected this there doesn't seem to be any way of confirming / saving my choice. Then when I exit the menu it reverts to headphone level output again

Any help gratefully received
How did you get in to the service menu? I've tried the above method but it doesn't seem to work.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:32 PM

I used the sequence shown and it works every time

You need to put hold on before you start and off when it restarts