android
Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 PM

Default Quick Root - 2.3.5

I'm sure someone may have already posted this, but here it is anyways.

http://www.techdistinct.com/2011/11/...-simple-steps/

Too Easy!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-09-2011, 10:57 PM

You successfully tried this on the Galaxy S WiFi 5.0? Just trying to make certain.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Yup. I have mine at 2.3.5 and rooted. Now just waiting for a custom rom to get my wiimote working with it.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the info and link! Been waiting for this! Now we need only voodoo control being made compatible with 4.0/5.0...

Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 PM

do I dare ask this dumb question? well, here goes, sorry but... what are the benefits of rooting? should I or shouldnt I and why would I want to?

Old 11-12-2011, 12:07 PM

...and to add some more dumbness...

...if I root the device, is it a simple matter to clean out the Samsung 'cruft' (TouchWiz?) and get to a 'cleaner' Android version of Gingerbread; is cleaning away the Samsung bloatware an easy operation, will it free up a lot of storage space and will there be a resulting performance improvement?

like bluezzy above, sorry if these are newby questions

Old 11-12-2011, 01:16 PM

I'm not going to consider rooting my player until I know for sure whether it will be updated to Ice Cream Sandwich or not. If the OS is changed, then it needs to be rooted all over again. I've never rooted a device before and have no desire to take the risk more than once.

My understanding is that rooting is a must if you're interested in ad-hoc networking. You can't make this device behave the way another computer would on your home network without rooting it. It also makes it easier to see all the files in your device, including the files on the SD card. Most of the SD card apps out there still don't make it possible even to see the songs you loaded onto it, let alone other files on either the SD or internal flash drive. It also makes it easier to upgrade the audio with programs like Voodoo (you can't install Voodoo without rooting, and that program supposedly makes the device sound better or at least is more customizable in terms of sound). You can also install custom ROMs like CyanogenMod which have custom sound settings, custom looks, etc.

The downside is that rooting also makes your device potentially more vulnerable to trojans or viruses, since your file system is more viewable to people who want to make mischief (at least that's what I've read). That's the argument against rooting, though I'm not sure how much bad stuff has ever happened to people who did root their devices. The other risk, of course, is if you do something wrong in trying to root it and can't figure out how to get your settings back, you can "brick" it and it will not be covered by warranty.

Last edited by galaxyfaraway; 11-12-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 PM

A few questions:

Does this work for the Korean versions as well? We are running 2.3.6

Also, is there a clockworkmod recovery available for these players yet..?

Old 11-13-2011, 12:24 PM

hello i wll try root a sg player 5 in a whle is running 2.3.5 so thi should work right?? and do i need any drivers different than the samsung charge??? i know i have those one installed since i just root that model a few days ago?? thanks

Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 AM

I have an Archos 43 which I do not like at all, I dont much care what happens to it so I might try to root it as an experiment and see how that goes before going after my 4.0.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Help Samsung Galaxy Player USB Drivers

I've been unable to locate the Windows USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy Player 5. Are they needed for the root procedure? If so, can someone help me locate them? They are not on the Samsung website. The only downloadable software from Samsung for the Galaxy Player is KIES.

***UPDATE - Never mind, I read in another forum that installing KIES will also install the drivers

Last edited by beeewell; 11-21-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Found new info

Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 PM

Here's another root method (not sure if it's the same), but appears to work. Will be trying it once I get my 5.0. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1321582

Old 11-24-2011, 02:14 PM

For people with galaxy player 4 (INTERNATIONNAL VERSION ONLY) there the android 2.3.6 update. What's new? New icons, the headphones problem fixed, overscroll glow is there and the player is faster. Flash it with Odin. I thanks Choucas06 from XDA too.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H8K23G73

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...227578&page=16

Old 12-17-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEO View Post
I'm sure someone may have already posted this, but here it is anyways.

http://www.techdistinct.com/2011/11/...-simple-steps/

Too Easy!
I just bought my Galaxy 5 player 2 HOURS ago and used the linked file and it worked flawlessly. Now I can install Titanium Backup and Root Explorer.

Thank You!!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 PM

it was discussed somewhere on here before and a link for a superoneclick was given and all you had to do was install the samsung driver, put the devise into USB debugging mode, plug it to the computer open the program and click root and say yes if it asked you anything and when it finished you are rooted, you pretty much can't screw it up and it only take a couple minutes to do.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
it was discussed somewhere on here before and a link for a superoneclick was given and all you had to do was install the samsung driver, put the devise into USB debugging mode, plug it to the computer open the program and click root and say yes if it asked you anything and when it finished you are rooted, you pretty much can't screw it up and it only take a couple minutes to do.
I know that I am reviving a old thread here, however, since I am exploring the idea of rooting my device as well I thought that I would add the link(s) for what the quoted author was referring to for anyone else who is curious..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1384806

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1424358

If anyone who has tried these methods has any tips that they can offer I would appreciate their passing them on to us root noobs.

Have a Magical Day