android
Old 11-13-2011, 06:20 PM

Default streaming radio in background?

I am thinking of buying the galaxy player once I figure out a few things about it. What i want to know is if I run an app like pandora then go to do something else on it will pandora continue to run in the background. It currently doesn't on my ipod touch

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I am thinking of buying the galaxy player once I figure out a few things about it. What i want to know is if I run an app like pandora then go to do something else on it will pandora continue to run in the background. It currently doesn't on my ipod touch
Well unless you close the app it sould be running in background. But why do you want pandora, the player has a built-in fm radio app.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I don't get access to Pandora where I live but I know you can run it in the background. I use something called TuneIn (http://www.tunein.com) to listen to live Internet stations and podcasts and leave it running in the background while I do other things on the player. If there is any minor quibble it would be that I've noticed that not all radio/streaming apps acknowledge the earphone button click to pause and resume.

(BTW, not to go too far off topic but iOS 4.x + the latest Pandora should allow for background playback on your iPod Touch, if you have a 3G or 4G model)

Old 11-13-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
Well unless you close the app it sould be running in background. But why do you want pandora, the player has a built-in fm radio app.

I like getting personalized music selections based on qualities from bands I like all without the 2 hours of straight talk on the fm radio. does the fm radio app show song titles that play?

Also does grooveshark work without having to have a paid account? off the website like on desktop?

My ipod touch is a 2g 16gb it is quite old

Old 11-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I like getting personalized music selections based on qualities from bands I like all without the 2 hours of straight talk on the fm radio. does the fm radio app show song titles that play?

Also does grooveshark work without having to have a paid account? off the website like on desktop?

My ipod touch is a 2g 16gb it is quite old
I don't know for grooveshark. As for the native fm radio it dosen't support RDS for the title song. I think you need to download one from the market. And if you have an android device, does your shazam works because when i try to download it it says there no connection?

Old 11-13-2011, 09:35 PM

I don't own any android devices currently the galaxy player would be the first but I don't have one yet. I did have a samsung galaxy 5 which is a cheap 100$ android 2.1 phone I bought at the grocery store back home but I only tested a few things like sygic and angry birds.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
...does your shazam works because when i try to download it it says there no connection?
You aren't outside of the US by any chance? You might want to give SoundHound a try. Basically the same thing.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
You aren't outside of the US by any chance? You might want to give SoundHound a try. Basically the same thing.
Thanks! I needed something like this. I tought shazam was the only one.

Thanks a lot! And as you see I live in Canada

Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I needed something like this. I tought shazam was the only one.

Thanks a lot! And as you see I live in Canada
<squints at the screen> oh yeah, look at that.

I ran into the same problem when I tried Shazam. Although it allowed me to install it, it just wouldn't work. At least on the iPhone it gave an error message stating that Shazam would not work outside the US. If there was ever a case to be made for the Android Market hiding apps, this would have been it.

** we now return you to the thread already in progress **

Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM

That's strange, Shazam works on both my old G1 (HTC Dream) and my cheap Pantech Link feature phone.

As for using Pandora, I've used it, but I like Sirius better.

FM Radio is dominated by heavy rotation and too many adverts. I don't see how anybody with a sane mind can listen too it for extended periods of time.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfourmoney View Post
That's strange, Shazam works on both my old G1 (HTC Dream) and my cheap Pantech Link feature phone.

As for using Pandora, I've used it, but I like Sirius better.

FM Radio is dominated by heavy rotation and too many adverts. I don't see how anybody with a sane mind can listen too it for extended periods of time.
I may sound dumb but what does pandora offer more than FM radio. (I don't have pandora in canada.)

Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM

strange, my shazam works well in Canada!
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I may sound dumb but what does pandora offer more than FM radio. (I don't have pandora in canada.)
NO (or very minimal) commercials and the ability to create your own channels based on your musical likes.