android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 11-14-2011, 03:25 AM

Default Any Navigation Apps And Carmount Suggestions For The Samung Galaxy ?

Hi all,
I was wondering if you all have any suggestions on navigation apps and a car mount for this device? I know Google Maps needs a online connection but I'm sure there has to be offline maps like what Garmin and TomTom have to offer.

I'm looking to upgrade my Creative Zen and my Garmin with a Samsung Galaxy 4.0 Android MP3 Player and if I can get both items that I stated in the above paragraph I will be purchasing this device real soon.
Thanks
Gerry

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-14-2011, 06:15 AM

There was a discussion about the gps in the "where are these things" closed thread. From what i have understand google maps does not cache enough informations for travel. You can pay some apps like sygic.

Anyway, from what i have read i would try it first before buying a car mount. I have seen on some website people that make themselves a car mount with tubes and tape Personnally i will use some tape and see if gps is reliable or not (5 inches is hot but if software is bad i will keep my 3.4 inches tom tom).

Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 PM

Why do people assume the GPS won't be responsive? Most of that issues was fixed with Froyo and Gingerbread.

As for a car mount, there isn't a specific one yet, but here's a selection of nice car mounts -

http://www.mountguys.com/category_s/3500.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-ST-TP0...=5336432771-20

Old 11-14-2011, 09:40 PM

For a mount I bought one of THESE. It works pretty good for the 5 inch device, although you need to slide the device slightly to the left so as not to interfere with the power & volume buttons; that said I do not know if it would work well with the 4 inch SGP.

As for the GPS software I use it is Sygic. It cost me about $22US, works pretty well (the SGP picks up the signal faster than my Garmins), it stores all the maps you chose to add on the device itself so you dont have to worry about finding a wifi connection like with Google maps.

FWIW

Have a Magical Day