android
Old 12-19-2011, 12:06 PM

If you do the USA it's over 2gb, if you do Texas it's about 600mb (including the app). Doesn't appear to load to external (or give you any options).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
What's the size of the downloaded maps package on Sygic?
Can you get it to load to the external microSD card?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-19-2011, 05:25 PM

My Sygic is installed on the microSD card. I don't remember how it went over there, but when I look it up on my apps list, it says it's installed on the card.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Mine says I can move to "USB Storage", which is still part of the Samsung storage. It's 21mb on internal, which is fine since you have like 1.5gb. I don't think it would find it if you moved the 600mb map data to the external card, is yours really on the external card - in the "Aura" folder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyfaraway View Post
My Sygic is installed on the microSD card. I don't remember how it went over there, but when I look it up on my apps list, it says it's installed on the card.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 PM

I tried Sygic, but didn't like it enough to pay for it after the trial. It didn't seem to have enough control / options over the route. Also, for some reason the directions to make a turn would sometimes come after I had passed the intersection.

I just downloaded Navfree today, and so far so good. It seems that you can download maps state by state to save space if you only need specific areas. It works better in WiFi because it uses Google search, but if you don't need a specific address, you don't need WiFi. For example, you can locate a place on the map and get directions to there. So if you at least know the closest cross street you can get there without WiFi. Hope that made sense.

I took a couple of intentional wrong turns today, and it rerouted without issue.

So for FREE, it seems OK.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:52 PM

My conclusion also (although I did like the Sygic screen view better, and voice), but $15-$20 or free... easy choice! Google Maps seems to work fine off-line if you're just looking for a map. I turned off wifi and it seems to cache a very large area (I could zoom in on any city in Texas, although gets fuzzy out a few hundred miles). I only have two 10 mile squares actually cached.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:00 PM

I do really like Google maps, and Navigation, if they would just allow me to download the map and use nav offline it would be great. I'll try NavFree, but Google Maps is probable still the go to map app. Caching my local areas really provides great detail. Also, when going out of town, I cache my destination so I can have an accurate map there as well.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:03 PM

ok so now nav free is telling me gps is turned off when it isn't and all other gps apps work but it. Hmmmm

Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 AM

I get that as well. Just go to advanced > preferences and turn it on. It's a bug, but it will work.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 AM

GoogleMap and nav IS really the best out there. And being able to cache (10) 10 mile grids is a good thing. However, they only last 30 days and then expire. The other odd thing is that there's no way that I can see to get the next grid vertically or horizontally. You have to guess at the center point. If you overlap, that's fine but you "waste" some coverage. if you don't overlap the adjacent grids, then you get gaps in coverage. And you can't tap on a grid to get it and identify it or delete it. You have to remember what the center address is, go to the list of cached maps, and delete it that way.

It's a good start, but not completely great. Hey, looking at what the competition is selling (Sygic and Copilot), I'd PAY Google to get major USA map segments. $10 for Eastern USA anyone? Or, they could charge like a buck for ten grids that DON'T expire and get updated automatically.
(Although I'd prefer the entire region-of-country package)

This would be great for all those who have data caps and really don't want to be downloading maps on their 3G/4G as they travel. And obviously would keep you covered as you traveled out of metro areas into more rural areas where you may not be getting reliable data coverage. Google could actually CHARGE for something. A new business model!

Still, as far as I am concerned, any big database of maps is going to need to go on the sd card.

Last edited by Blackdog; 01-04-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Anyone using this: http://code.google.com/p/osmand/wiki/HowToArticles I downloaded the app here: http://www.appbrain.com/app/osmand/net.osmand Seems to be rated a bit better than the others. Looks a bit more complex to install, but after 30 minutes, it's starting to look pretty good. A bit slow, but could be because my battery is at 3% (wow, battery goes in 1% increments when it hits 5%... why not all the way from 100?)

edit: After playing with Osmand a couple days, while it does work, I believe Navfree is using some variation of it as their base software and makes it easier to use. Both have the same search menus, and are unable to search by street number offline. If Sygic would make their app $4.99, to include 1 state (or 1 country), I'd jump on it. But it's really not $15 better than Navfree.

Last edited by tcat; 12-31-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 AM

pssst!.....Google...SELL the maps for offline use!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:50 PM

are there any that DON'T use the same source maps as NAVFREE, those maps are so incredibly wrong for my county its not even funny.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 PM

for me the nav free maps were decent they tell me the same directions mostly as my dad's garmain gps.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM

Default CoPilot Live

*$9.99* for the premium version - all USA. You can download any parts or all of the US (1.2GB for whole map, stored on device). It works perfectly on my Galaxy Player 5. Does text to speech, full street names, alternative routes, etc. Full-featured.

The GPS is pretty good - saw 9 satellites indoors, got a fix in less than a minute first time.

One program you can try for free to test your GPS is 'GPS Test." It shows the satellites, signal strength, location, speed, bearing.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 PM

attached is an example of just how bad the navfree maps are versus the accurate google maps, just compare the 2 images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg openmaps.jpg (41.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg googlemaps.jpg (48.5 KB, 25 views)

Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 AM

CoPilot seems like it could be good. mark- how do you feel it does with logical routes? Some say that it plots crazy routes.

I really do not like the visual look of it. All jumbled up and pink and candy-colored. It looks like something a 14-year-old girl would "like love". I really like the "grown-up" and clean look of GoogleMaps and Nav.

Guess you can't have everything. Unless Google sells the offline maps.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 AM

So far CoPilot does ok on my routes.

In the latest version it provides, if you want, two or three alternative routes based on parameters you set.

I agree with you on style, but it's not that bad.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
So far CoPilot does ok on my routes.

In the latest version it provides, if you want, two or three alternative routes based on parameters you set.

I agree with you on style, but it's not that bad.
thanks

Old 01-04-2012, 01:23 PM

I only see a "big" difference in Google Maps and Navdroid if zoomed out, but for Navigation, Navfree is "OK" (not as good as Google).
Maps:

Navfree (most POI turned off):

Sample shot while in Nav mode:

Last edited by tcat; 01-05-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 PM

Navfree seems to be the least buggy of the off-line ones available, though I haven't tried copilot. Navfree also has a lot of roads that are just dead wrong. It will route you the wrong way on a one way street, or down a road that doesn't even exist if you're not careful. I've found the best way to use any of these is to get it to plot your route while connected to wifi so it can use google's services, then use it. Fine-grain stuff like parking lots or recent (within the last ten years) road changes are a real problem with openmaps. Google's maps are considerably better, even including direction of lanes in parking lots. I wish google would opensource at least their street data.

If you just want to track where you're going on a bike ride or a hike, Sporty Pal Pro is a great sport tracker. When you get home, you upload it to their site and you can see where you went and how long your trip was. I imagine if you had a connection you could view your progress live.