android
Old 11-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Default Galaxy Player 5.0 - My First Impressions

It's now making a week I have in my posession my brand new Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 and I think it's the time for me to deliver my first impressions on this PMP.

When I saw it first, I might admit I was a bit shocked regarding the dimension of the screen. When I realized what 5 inches really was, I wasn't quite sure I it would fit in my pocket pefectly. When I tried it, I was really surprised it actually did enter in my pocket with no effort ! The Samsung got it first point.

But then, the real test began. The first charge, using the AC adaptor, was a bit slow but I must admit I was using it while charging. So, that was affecting the charging process. But, without touching it when plugged, the time is OK. Anyway, I charge it while sleeping so it's not really an obstacle.

Regarding the player itself, the stereo speakers in the back are really good. You can really use them while working in your office without annoying the others co-workers around, The back camera is OK too. I find it kind of cool to have a camera with me on my player so I can take photos anywhere I go. The only negative point with it is that, in the dark, you can't point with the camera using the flash. It only turns on when you take a photo.

Otherwise, I'm glad to finally have an Android device. I can say that I like Android way more than the iOS. The reasons are : more free apps, other music players to choose from and the best part is the installation of those apps. I find it more easier to proceed to an installation that with the Apple OS. You don't have to always enter your password to access your account ! Finally, another good point to Android, there's an FM Radio ! Sadly, the original FM Tuner does not come with the RDS functionnality but I found an alternative to that and it works very good.

The only negative point regarding Android is the fact I can't use my PayPal account to buy stuff. It only supports credit cards but I don't have one.

So what can I say ? I'm a very satisfied customer and very proud of buying my Galaxy 5.0.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Would you recommend it over the Touch?

Old 11-20-2011, 03:00 PM

It depends on your needs. I know the camera on the Samsung has more megapixels that the one on the iPod. And, I have the impression of not being trapped inside a company philosophy I don't really agree on (Apple).

The only downside is that it's only delivered in a 8 GB version where I stay (Canada) but I don't know for the other countries.

But if you find it cool, well... why not ? I say yes I recommend it over the iPod Touch.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstar View Post
It depends on your needs. I know the camera on the Samsung has more megapixels that the one on the iPod. And, I have the impression of not being trapped inside a company philosophy I don't really agree on (Apple).

The only downside is that it's only delivered in a 8 GB version where I stay (Canada) but I don't know for the other countries.

But if you find it cool, well... why not ? I say yes I recommend it over the iPod Touch.
Did you buy a canadian or internationnal or US version?

Old 11-20-2011, 04:23 PM

For me it was one of the best acquisitions in recent times.
I do not consider as a player. It is a small tablet for my use.
5 "to read ebooks, GPS and more and more. Read my 1300 ebooks on an iPod would not be so good.
It is also lightweight and small.
The screen quality is excellent.
And one crucial difference: I use my android 2.8 "(Samsung Galaxy 5) as 3G. I prefer to make and receive calls in small cell.
For me it was complete.
Thanks to Samsung for the usefulness of the G70.
It is more than a "player" to me.

Galaxy 5( in Brazil) aka Galaxy Europe or Corby Galaxy or I5500... : )

Last edited by Us35; 11-20-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:24 PM

It's a Canadian version but I suppose it's the same as the US one.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler_ View Post
Would you recommend it over the Touch?
The sticking point for me is the apps. The Android Market just doesn't seem to have apps that are quite as good as the App Store

Old 11-21-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The sticking point for me is the apps. The Android Market just doesn't seem to have apps that are quite as good as the App Store
I wouldnt let that hold you back. Apps for iOS are easier to create because Apple controls the hardware; there are few if any variations availible. With so many vendors produceing Android devices it takes longer for 'droid versions, or knock offs, but they pretty much usually get out there; look how quick Iris came into being after Siri did.

My wife and two boys each have a Touch, I have the SGP; I'm not suffering for apps.

The SGP is a really nice device.

Have a Magical Day

Old 11-21-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstar View Post

Hum... you have a sd card slot... you would prefer too have an ipod touch 32 gb and pay 100$ for an extra 24gb ?

Old 11-21-2011, 10:01 PM

Gee, my phone only has about 200mb for apps... not even sure I'll need an SD card with 8gb. 16gb card + root + Link2SD = no worries. Or just use "the cloud", and 8gb is probably plenty!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K O B O View Post
I wouldnt let that hold you back. Apps for iOS are easier to create because Apple controls the hardware; there are few if any variations availible. With so many vendors produceing Android devices it takes longer for 'droid versions, or knock offs, but they pretty much usually get out there; look how quick Iris came into being after Siri did.

My wife and two boys each have a Touch, I have the SGP; I'm not suffering for apps.

The SGP is a really nice device.

Have a Magical Day
Any issues with portability? To me it looks too big

Old 11-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3000 View Post
Hum... you have a sd card slot... you would prefer too have an ipod touch 32 gb and pay 100$ for an extra 24gb ?
I solved the problem by buying a 16 GB SDcard for 35 bucks. So my player has now about 22 GB of memory.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Any issues with portability? To me it looks too big
Yeah i find it big and heavy but it fits well in my winter coat and any pocket (well it's not really comfortable ) But it's way more portable than 7" and more. I can't complain i can take it anywhere.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3000 View Post
Yeah i find it big and heavy but it fits well in my winter coat and any pocket (well it's not really comfortable ) But it's way more portable than 7" and more. I can't complain i can take it anywhere.
Where can I get movies and music for it? I know the app store has lots of both

Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Where can I get movies and music for it? I know the app store has lots of both

The Android Market, of course.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
The Android Market, of course.
I looked in the Android Market, didn't find any music in there, just apps. Google Music is United States only

Old 11-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
I looked in the Android Market, didn't find any music in there, just apps. Google Music is United States only
When I launch the Android Market, I get a menu for music, apps, books and movies.

Last edited by musichound; 11-22-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
When I launch the Android Market, I get a menu for music, apps, books and movies.
Well, looking at the Android Market from a web browser it tells me it's for USA only when I click on music

Old 11-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Well, looking at the Android Market from a web browser it tells me it's for USA only when I click on music
I see, so that's not good. Hopefully someone else from a location outside the U.S. can shed some light on this.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:23 AM

Amazon is probably the best place to buy music (and also have a lot of free songs). Lots of free stuff out there with some Googling. Many apps too, but some apear a little shady. Lots of nice radio apps for music: Jango, Pandora, TuneIn, and some let you record.