android
Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Amazon is probably the best place to buy music (and also have a lot of free songs). Lots of free stuff out there with some Googling. Many apps too, but some apear a little shady. Lots of nice radio apps for music: Jango, Pandora, TuneIn, and some let you record.
Yeah, I thought of Amazon after I posted my previous post

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 AM

Also music can be bought from the iTunes Store and copied to the player,at least this is my experience with MSC devices. You just have to find where the songs are saved on the computer then copy them to the device,iTunes is only required to get the music from the iTunes store,not to sync it.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
Also music can be bought from the iTunes Store and copied to the player,at least this is my experience with MSC devices. You just have to find where the songs are saved on the computer then copy them to the device,iTunes is only required to get the music from the iTunes store,not to sync it.
How much is music on iTunes?
EDIT: In GBP if you know

Old 11-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Its 0.79 for each single song in GBP.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler_ View Post
Well, looking at the Android Market from a web browser it tells me it's for USA only when I click on music
I would imagine that the UK is an important enough market that Google would make an effort to get their music service there sooner rather than later. Right now, legitimate avenues for digital media purchase are highly localized and Apple has done the best in terms of making tv, movies and music available in major areas. If you don't want to deal with managing your media and you live in one of the places where you can get the full store, the Apple ecosystem is the best choice IMHO.

That being said, if you are a tinkerer, either Galaxy Player would be a lot of fun.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
I would imagine that the UK is an important enough market that Google would make an effort to get their music service there sooner rather than later. Right now, legitimate avenues for digital media purchase are highly localized and Apple has done the best in terms of making tv, movies and music available in major areas. If you don't want to deal with managing your media and you live in one of the places where you can get the full store, the Apple ecosystem is the best choice IMHO.

That being said, if you are a tinkerer, either Galaxy Player would be a lot of fun.
I missed out on apps last time by picking Samsung over Nokia/Symbian (which so happens to have been taken over by Windows). I don't really want the same mistake againe and I also liek that the touch is more portable

Old 11-23-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I missed out on apps last time by picking Samsung over Nokia/Symbian (which so happens to have been taken over by Windows). I don't really want the same mistake againe and I also liek that the touch is more portable
You have to compare apples to apples. The Galaxy Player 4.0 is the closest analog to the Touch and is just as portable. Major apps (e.g. Angry Birds) are available on both platforms and perform similarly. With the exception of apps that require phone features and locale restricted apps, the Android Market is wide open. There are trade-offs with both e.g. the iPod Touch has a higher pixel density but a smaller screen area. The Galaxy Player 4 has a bigger camera sensor but (at least with the US version) can only capture 480p video vs. 720p on the iPod Touch. The Galaxy Player has additional hardware features but there are far more cases & accessories for the Touch.

You can go back and forth all day but in the end it isn't a question of specs but what you want to use the thing for. With an 8GB iPod Touch, for the life of your player, you can only carry 8GB worth of apps an media at any one time. The Galaxy Player allows you to expand your storage but you will have to devise your own scheme for acquiring and managing media (through something like DoubleTwist for example.)

They are both great little devices. For me, I chose the 4.0 over the Touch because I liked the option of GPS and FM radios built-in and I don't use iTunes to manage music and podcasts.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
You have to compare apples to apples. The Galaxy Player 4.0 is the closest analog to the Touch and is just as portable. Major apps (e.g. Angry Birds) are available on both platforms and perform similarly. With the exception of apps that require phone features and locale restricted apps, the Android Market is wide open. There are trade-offs with both e.g. the iPod Touch has a higher pixel density but a smaller screen area. The Galaxy Player 4 has a bigger camera sensor but (at least with the US version) can only capture 480p video vs. 720p on the iPod Touch. The Galaxy Player has additional hardware features but there are far more cases & accessories for the Touch.

You can go back and forth all day but in the end it isn't a question of specs but what you want to use the thing for. With an 8GB iPod Touch, for the life of your player, you can only carry 8GB worth of apps an media at any one time. The Galaxy Player allows you to expand your storage but you will have to devise your own scheme for acquiring and managing media (through something like DoubleTwist for example.)

They are both great little devices. For me, I chose the 4.0 over the Touch because I liked the option of GPS and FM radios built-in and I don't use iTunes to manage music and podcasts.
I succumed. I gave in to the Touch. I'm sorry, don't kill me

Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:

you're not obligated to use doubletwist you can use drag and drop as for to put artist information just download ID3 Tag editor

Old 11-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I succumed. I gave in to the Touch. I'm sorry, don't kill me
The touch is a really neat device, there are 3 of them in our house; extremly fragile though, IMHO.

Make sure that you find a case that really protects it from drops; the ones that cover just the back really are a waste of money; again IMHO. I know of two which just recently were ruined by falls - one from only 18 inches.

It had a rubber case that covered the back and fell face down. The screen is intact, in fact you can not see any damage to the device at all, but the screen us totally unresponsive, it just glows white. Being a 64gb version it is now a very expensive paperweight.

As an aside, in comparison, my SGB 5 took a fall from over 3 feet, face down, without any case at that moment, and functions without a problem at all.

Have a Magical Day

Old 11-24-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K O B O View Post
The touch is a really neat device, there are 3 of them in our house; extremly fragile though, IMHO.

Make sure that you find a case that really protects it from drops; the ones that cover just the back really are a waste of money; again IMHO. I know of two which just recently were ruined by falls - one from only 18 inches.

It had a rubber case that covered the back and fell face down. The screen is intact, in fact you can not see any damage to the device at all, but the screen us totally unresponsive, it just glows white. Being a 64gb version it is now a very expensive paperweight.

As an aside, in comparison, my SGB 5 took a fall from over 3 feet, face down, without any case at that moment, and functions without a problem at all.

Have a Magical Day
I'm aware they're too fragile for their own good, a real design problem in my opinion

Old 11-25-2011, 01:15 AM

I gave into the touch 3 years ago since it was the only offering of an mp3 player with wifi and apps and such. Now I am looking at buying a 5.0 or 4.0 as soon as I get some money.

I think apple really did themselves in for this year by not offering a real upgrade to the touch. Now they are crap they only have 256mb ram and non upgradable storage and no custom eq and same old 1ghz A4 processor. The galaxy player has a 1ghz processor don't know how it compares to the apple A4, not sure on the ram and expandable memory, fm radio and gps.

The 4th gen ipod touch is very fragile if you ask me and a worse design than my current 2g touch which has taken quite a beating over the 3 years I have had it. My friend dropped his on hard wood floor by accident and bounced off the corner and landed screen up but the screen was very cracked after that. Apples strive to make every new ipod thinner is clouding their judgment on durability

Old 11-25-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I think apple really did themselves in for this year by not offering a real upgrade to the touch.
Had they done something ... anything, I would not be the proud new owner of the 4.0.

Quote:
The galaxy player has a 1ghz processor don't know how it compares to the apple A4, not sure on the ram and expandable memory, fm radio and gps.
To be fair to Apple, the iOS 5 release does add some zip to the existing (4th gen) Touch hardware. It is no dual-core of course but neither is the Galaxy Player. It depends on what you are doing but it is probably a wash in the performance department (with perhaps the edge going to Apple.) The extra radios on the Samsung side cinched it for me though.

Either way I don't think you can really go wrong - as long as you buy some form of protective case for the iPod Touch.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Free GPS and an FM tuner are a big draw for me as well,...and the iPod touch actually bores me.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Free GPS and an FM tuner are a big draw for me as well,...and the iPod touch actually bores me.
I'm not surprised by that....you had the iPhone which let you do all the stuff the Touch does but do it everywhere with no worries about wifi connectivity.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Touch had the WiFi/Apps market for itself until this year. No Zune HD or Sony X1000 came close. It took Android to present an opportunity but the market a couple of years to mature before any Android device could compare. While Android has kept getting better iOS on the Touch has remained the same, with only minor utility enhancements but no real UI improvements/changes in it's lifetime. These Samsung players make a good case for dumping iTunes and iOS. There are some lesser players dipping their toes into the Android game (Creative Touch-2, Archos 32/43, Philips Connect 3) but I'm guessing the next real competitor will be Sony's Z1000 if it ever shows up in the U.S..

Old 11-28-2011, 03:56 AM

my new yp-g70 is made in china
i m using my player for a few days and it is still smelling plastic
is it because it is new or it is made in china?
are your players smell like that?

since samsung is korean
are there any differences quality between made in korea and made in china?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Mine doesn't smell anything at all. I don't even know where it was built.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 AM

just when i was about to finalize buying a chinese tablet and nook simple touch, i by chance found this. don't know if that is good or bad :P

it looks like a mini-tablet. well, can someone please tell me if i can use it to read ebooks, like are they readable (no eye-strain?) or should i go with an eink reader like nook touch (the problem is that in Pakistan, it costs double then the price on B&N).

also, has anyone checked for how long it can play videos? also, can i connect my internet dongle in this device?

Old 01-05-2012, 12:43 PM

What's an "internet dongle"? You can connect USB, you can stream wifi. Works good as a reader, I don't read much, but others have said it works well. I have the Kindle app loaded and here's a page (although not quite this easy to read):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljan View Post
just when i was about to finalize buying a chinese tablet and nook simple touch, i by chance found this. don't know if that is good or bad :P

it looks like a mini-tablet. well, can someone please tell me if i can use it to read ebooks, like are they readable (no eye-strain?) or should i go with an eink reader like nook touch (the problem is that in Pakistan, it costs double then the price on B&N).

also, has anyone checked for how long it can play videos? also, can i connect my internet dongle in this device?