android
Old 01-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljan View Post

...can someone please tell me if i can use it to read ebooks, like are they readable (no eye-strain?) or should i go with an eink reader like nook touch
For me it is an excellent e-reader; in fact I am doing more reading now than I have in years. Some of the e-reader programs I use are FBReader, Cool Reader, Aldiko, Moon+ Reader, as well as the readers for Nook, KOBO & Kindle. I use more than one reader so I can have more than one book 'open' at a time instead of having to back and forth between books in one reader

Quote:
...also, has anyone checked for how long it can play videos?
I have easily watched 3 full length movies in a row & still had battery left over. I use QQplayer for watching videos.

Quote:
can i connect my internet dongle in this device?
I am not sure what you are referring to here, is the dongle to get wifi? The unit already has that built in.

Have a Magical Day

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 PM

if you are referring to a 3g stick but there is no usb host on this device so unless you have a mifi router or a cellphone with tethering I don't know

Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Yeah, wifi and wimax only. Or tether to a laptop with 3G or a cell phone with 3G/4G. Obviously once you get books and music and stuff downloaded, you don't need wifi anymore. Almost everyone has wifi at home and work, and it's in almost every coffee shop and restaurant so getting access throughout the day is not an issue for most people. The slight inconvenience of not having data at some exact moment is outweighed, for me, by the fact that I have no data charges or phone charges whatsoever and no contracts. Pretty sweet. Keep a dumb cell phone in my pocket for voice and everything else is for free.

Heck, I can even make voice calls from wifi spots with Skype at about 2 cents a minute if I need to.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 PM

Hopefully the OP will come back and tell us what type of USB dongle he is talking about - but if it is a USB flash drive the answer is no, you cannot connect it.

So far as I have been able to find out the micro-usb port on the SGPs is only for connection to a pc or for charging the battery.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K O B O View Post
As an aside, in comparison, my SGB 5 took a fall from over 3 feet, face down, without any case at that moment, and functions without a problem at all.

Have a Magical Day

Before I got a case for my SGP 5.0 and before I even had a rubber back cover, while I was driving, a sudden stop had my device fly out of my purse, landing between the passenger seat and the passenger side door. I didn't even have a screen protector on it yet. No damage of any kind. It was kind of a heart attack moment though!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 AM

thanks everyone for your feedback. i don't know how to tell about that usb dongle...maybe you can check this link (http://ptcl.com.pk/related_pages.php?pd_id=203&rp_id=68), but its not something which is necessary, i can check emails and stuff on my laptop as well.

Three questions though:
-regarding reading ebooks, the software which is used for reading, can we bookmark the pages just like in nook touch?
-can we connect an external hdd to this device?
-can we transfer files directly from PC to this device?

Old 01-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Yes on bookmarks (there are many reader apps available that do this)
No on hdd, No on dongle
Yes on transfer to PC (USB cable, wifi/file explorer)

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...5870132&sr=8-1 No reviews less than 4.0 is almost unheard of.

Last edited by tcat; 01-06-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM

yup the majority of the reviews are 4 or 5. Only a few less than 4.

BTW: anyone managed to install ICS?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
yup the majority of the reviews are 4 or 5. Only a few less than 4.

BTW: anyone managed to install ICS?
I'm waiting to see if Cyanogenmod 9 (ICS) will work on SGP. They should release it in the next few weeks..

Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 PM

ICS if it does get onto the galaxy player will be buggy as hell at first I'm probably going to hold off on that even when or if it comes out

Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 PM

We seem to be answering you on two different posts but that is OK. The USB broadband dongle will not work with the Samsung. I am not sure it will work with any tablet. The Acer 10" tablet does have a regular USB port but I am not certain that it will work with a broadband receiver. What you could do, if your broadband provider has one is use a broadband MiFi box - this receives the broadband signal just like the USB dongle does and then transmits the signal short range to up to four devices to connect to the internet which would give the SGP 5 a wifi signal to connect to. Several mobile broadband providers in the US have these MiFi devices - yours may also.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:40 PM

well yes the dsl which i'm using at home could do that. the company does offer a wifi router instead of a regular one so maybe i just need to get that changed. But i can also use my laptop to go online.

I was just thinking it would be good if the usb dongle works with this so i could use it when i'm on road but anyways not the end of world coz nothing will happen if i don't go online for a few hours :P

Old 01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Chances are the USB dongle will not work because it reqires drivers, and for the most part, they only provide drivers for WIndows OS (Or maybe MAC). I don't think there is any way it will function with the Galaxy player or any other android device.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:57 AM

^ yes, you are right, it won't install becoz of Android.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
The Galaxy Player allows you to expand your storage but you will have to devise your own scheme for acquiring and managing media (through something like DoubleTwist for example.
managing media? it won't tell you artist stuff? what about album covers and movie covers?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Before I got a case ....a sudden stop had my device fly out of my purse, landing between the passenger seat and the passenger side door. ....No damage of any kind. It was kind of a heart attack moment though!

I can imagine!

Have a Magical Day!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kitties View Post
managing media? it won't tell you artist stuff? what about album covers and movie covers?
Not what I meant. The default player can do that just fine. I just meant that there is no equivalent of "iTunes" from Google for managing your video and music collection. You do things either by drag and drop or by using a 3rd party solution (like the aforementioned DoubleTwist.)

Old 02-04-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstar View Post
Finally, another good point to Android, there's an FM Radio ! Sadly, the original FM Tuner does not come with the RDS functionnality but I found an alternative to that and it works very good.
Could you share the alternative please?? The RDS works on my android phone but not the 5.0 Player

Thanks!

Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 PM

Just curious, not ever having "itunes", what does it do that the default player on the 5.0 doesn't? (or Amazon, or Google Music). Everything is organized by album, artist, playlists, in most any player. I can't imagine needing to do anything else with the MP3's on my device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
Not what I meant. The default player can do that just fine. I just meant that there is no equivalent of "iTunes" from Google for managing your video and music collection. You do things either by drag and drop or by using a 3rd party solution (like the aforementioned DoubleTwist.)

Old 02-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Just curious, not ever having "itunes", what does it do that the default player on the 5.0 doesn't? (or Amazon, or Google Music). Everything is organized by album, artist, playlists, in most any player. I can't imagine needing to do anything else with the MP3's on my device.
Ok, I can interpret your question in two ways:

1) iTunes is the client on the computer that iDevices need to sync to, not the player on the device itself. For some people, the structure that syncing software provides to the user is helpful whereas a lot prefer the freedom of drag and drop (I admit, I have always liked having software to sync with, which is why I liked my Zune more as a music player than the SGP, but I'm getting used to it. )

And 2) one major advantage is easier playlists, another is relatively easy backup (in some cases).