android
Old 11-30-2011, 03:17 AM

Default x fi 2 mini speaker problem

Hi, i just brought a x-mi xmini 2nd gen capsule speaker which is great, although I tried it with my creative zen x fi 2 and it doesn’t work properly. It seems to just have random burst of static (like a un tuned radio) originaly I thought it might be distorting from bass or too high of volume, but even with the volume half way down its still the same problem turning it down even more so its not even louder than the speaker built in it still has the same problem. It's even on the break down of the track at the quitest bit. I tried turning the x fi off, the EQs off, everything. The thing is it seems to work fine with a couple of tracks but mainly dance or drum and bass tracks it happens (which is most of my zen lol). The weird thing is it works fine with my mobile phone at full volume. Has any body else had this problem or know of a fix to it? If it's any help or use the firmware on the zen is 1.10.04

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 AM

First, how does the Zen Xi-Fi2 sound with a GOOD pair of in ear headphones? If the sound through a decent pair of in ear head phones is good, the the Zen Xi-Fi2 is working fine.

At $18USD, the X-MI is not a high fidelity speaker. The tiny speaker in the X-fi2 is for convenience, and possibly, audio books. Nobody in their right mind would claim that a tiny, tiny speaker in a PMP is for critical music listening. It is very, very easy to overdrive such a small speaker. At certain low frequencies such a tiny speaker can be overdriven even at low volumes.

Cheap speakers in cheap enclosures often suffer from harmonic frequency problems. At the right frequencies, usually low frequencies, the whole speaker enclosure starts shaking. That is probably the noise that you are hearing.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 AM

The Zen works fine with a real cheap pair of headphones and also my Dr Dre Beats. But even using the x-mini on my brothers Cowon J3 it worked fine with no problems at all and actually surprised at the sound and how clear it sounded. I wasn’t expecting the best sound quality just something to use when out and about to share music.

The volume is so low that even when the bass kicks in it doesn’t shake slightly and is definitely not the sound I am hearing, it doesn’t sound like distortion of a track, it sounds literately like a out of tuned radio. All my music is recorded at 128kb or higher as well if that is of any use.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM

It sounds like you're hearing static. If the Zen is working with ear phones, then the Zen is probably functioning properly. I would guess that the plug on the interconnect cable is not making a good connection with the head phone jack in the Zen. Do you have another interconnect cable that you can try?