android
Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 PM

Default Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 Not Charging

I have been using the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 for about two weeks. I got back home from school today and decided to charge the device. I plugged in the microusb to the device and plugged the adapter to the wall like I usually do but this time there was no indication of charging at all. There is usually alittle lighting bolt next to the battery on top right hand when I plug in into charge. I tried rebooting the device several times. I even tried using a different microusb charger that came with my cellphone and other wall outlets but it still didnt work. I also looked in the setting to see whether the battery was discharging or charging when plugged in but all it said was discharging. Has anyone else encountered this problem before?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 PM

Yes happen to me first time i tried to charge my device.The charging battery symbol didnt appear and I had to send it back for a new one from amazon.Not sure what you mean about lightning bolt.When you plug this in for a charge a large green battery appears on the screen as it is charging and you can tell how much is charged from this display.If you are not seeing this your device is defective and you need to replace it.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:18 PM

Have you tried turning the device off then try charging it like that without it being booted up?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Or, turning it off while plugged in. It should fade to a large battery image if it's charging. It sounds like it may be defective. Also, what happens if you plug it in to your computer? Does it recognize being plugged in?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 PM

The large green battery image will go away in a few moments after plugging in and it looks like nothing is happening. This happened the first time I charged my SGP 5 - I called customer service and they told me to push the sleep/power button on the side. When you do the screen comes on with the large battery in the middle - dots going across under it - and it is charging. If you do not see this when you start and then when you push the button, there is something wrong.

I charge my SGP 5 overnight. In the morning, I push the button and the image says 100%.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
Have you tried turning the device off then try charging it like that without it being booted up?
Yes I did that a few times but when I turn off the device and plug in the microusb it just turns back on the device without charging it. I know that there is suppose to be a giant green battery that appears when the device is off and charging but all mine does is turn back on by itself without charging it.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:22 AM

Take this one back to the store and exchange it for another. If it does not charge, it does not work. No sense in trying to troubleshoot it.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 PM

I had this problem when I tried to charge but I found it wasn't the battery, it was the micro-USB connector. I tried the Samsung that came with the SGP and an Archos that went to a previous device. Both were loose when connected. Fiddling around with them eventually found the sweet spot and the SGP would charge. At work I have an old Nokia (CA-101) cable and I noticed the wide side of the connector has flexible pins to hold the connector connected.

I'm thinking about trying to return the cable but I suspect that all Samsung cables are the same design. I might just try some pliers.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HildyJ View Post
I had this problem when I tried to charge but I found it wasn't the battery, it was the micro-USB connector. I tried the Samsung that came with the SGP and an Archos that went to a previous device. Both were loose when connected. Fiddling around with them eventually found the sweet spot and the SGP would charge. At work I have an old Nokia (CA-101) cable and I noticed the wide side of the connector has flexible pins to hold the connector connected.
I'm thinking about trying to return the cable but I suspect that all Samsung cables are the same design. I might just try some pliers.
My samsung microusb cable fits tight in my SGP5.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Have you done a reboot, or truly shutting it off holding in the power button till the unit shuts down (not just the screen going black).

I only ask because mine has always been flaky when it comes to charging; many times not giving me a tone or the little white lightening bolt in the battery indicator when connected. Doing a full shut down/reboot sets it straight again; it also helps me connect it to my Win XP machines when the PC tells me the usb device is not recognized.

FWIW

Have a Magical Day

Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM

yeah I tried everything but no luck. I ended up returning the unit. I will purchase the product again when its less buggy.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 PM

Is this problem common? In the 3 weeks that I've had my 5.0, I've had 3 or 4 times that I could not connect or charge. Sometimes it will connect to a computer, but won't charge on an outlet. Other times it won't charge with either. Rebooting will work at times, other times it won't. Is this just something you have to deal with, or should I send it back?
Thanks.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rer1333 View Post
Is this problem common? In the 3 weeks that I've had my 5.0, I've had 3 or 4 times that I could not connect or charge. Sometimes it will connect to a computer, but won't charge on an outlet. Other times it won't charge with either. Rebooting will work at times, other times it won't. Is this just something you have to deal with, or should I send it back?
Thanks.
Greetings

In my own experience I have found connecting to my PC to be more of, but not entirely, a OS issue; Win 7 has fewer problems than XP. With XP as well I had to install Kies to get the proper drivers or it would not connect at all.

Mine is mostly connected to a XP machine. When I connect the cable I may hear the tone acknowledging the connection from my PC but the device wont show it. If the screen is off I turn it on and slide to unlock; that usually will create the connection. If after a couple times it does not I reboot the device and redo the steps; it may take a minute but it always connects - I did have one XP machine though that gave me all kinds of grief and connecting was a karp shoot, but just that one PC out of 4 others.

As far as charging goes my device has its quirks as well; it will at times show that it is still charging even hours after the cable has been removed, or it wont show that it is charging when it obviously did; a reboot of the device showing the actual status & battery level.

I have had mine since Nov; odd behavior or not I love the thing and am now never without it. At first I was put off with some of the quirks but at this point I just take them in stride; it is a fun toy.

FWIW, YMMV

Have a Magical Day.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have NEVER ONCE had this issue. If you have it, send the player in, if you ask my opinion. It should not and usually does not have this problem.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm leaning toward returning it and trying another. I just thought if this is common, maybe there's no point in getting another and I should just find a way to deal with it. It came from Best Buy, so I guess it shouldn't be difficult to exchange.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 PM

Did you return it,and did you have to pay cause i have the same problem now

Tags
samsung galaxy player, samsung galaxy player 5.0