android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #181  
Old 03-24-2012, 01:11 PM
susanggongjja susanggongjja is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 10
Default

Can anyone confirm if using this kernel drains battery faster than the factory one?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #182  
Old 03-25-2012, 09:18 PM
gupti's Avatar
gupti gupti is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 171
Default

I use the custom kernel, but I don't experience any more battery drain than the stock. I don't think that Voodoo sound patch uses up more battery because it's a software tweak that unlocks the potential of the wm8994 DAC, but does not make the CPU work harder. Clockworkmod is also just a tweaked recovery with more features, which does not use more CPU.
Reply With Quote

  #183  
Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Daniel644 Daniel644 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupti View Post
I use the custom kernel, but I don't experience any more battery drain than the stock. I don't think that Voodoo sound patch uses up more battery because it's a software tweak that unlocks the potential of the wm8994 DAC, but does not make the CPU work harder. Clockworkmod is also just a tweaked recovery with more features, which does not use more CPU.
generally no noticeable increase in battery usage unless your like me and use voodoo sound to increase the max volume (I run at max to the aux input on my car stereo) then you will see an increase in battery drain.
__________________
Galaxy S 4.0 Wifi (USA)
Running STeVEs custom Kernel
and Klin's Klassic 2.3.6 ROM for Galaxy Player 4.0 USA
Reply With Quote

  #184  
Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 PM
-SteveS- -SteveS- is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Default

Version 3.0 released. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote

  #185  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM
jfebrer jfebrer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Thank you SteveS!!!

Your work is very much appreciated.

I just installed your 3.0 kernel on my EU device.

BTW, I found much easier to install through SGS Kernel Flasher:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kernel.flasher
Reply With Quote

  #186  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 PM
TapperP TapperP is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
Version 3.0 released. Enjoy!
Awesome work.

USA version successfully installed. Seems stable etc. so far. I can also confirm that we can now reset to the Recovery menu and it will NOT cause a bootloop! Very nice.
__________________
USING: Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 USA
with SteveS' Kernel + Voodoo Control
Reply With Quote

  #187  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 AM
iJimaniac's Avatar
iJimaniac iJimaniac is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfebrer View Post
Thank you SteveS!!!

Your work is very much appreciated.

I just installed your 3.0 kernel on my EU device.

BTW, I found much easier to install through SGS Kernel Flasher:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kernel.flasher
Did that really work? Wonder if it would work on the U.S.
__________________
Robin hood was the first welfare program
Reply With Quote

  #188  
Old 04-08-2012, 11:11 AM
woer woer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimaniac View Post
Did that really work? Wonder if it would work on the U.S.
It does. That's how I've always done it.
Reply With Quote

  #189  
Old 04-08-2012, 02:47 PM
woer woer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 57
Default

When I ran Zepplinrox's kick ass kernelizer script, I noticed all the schedulers are set to sio except for mmcblk0, mmcblk1, stl10, stl11, which are set to deadline. Did you find deadline to be better for those?
Reply With Quote

  #190  
Old 04-14-2012, 11:43 PM
TapperP TapperP is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
STeVE's Kernel 3.0
-Based on STeVE's kernel 2.1
-Added all major cpu governors (interactive, interactivex, smartassv2, lazy). Interactive is now the default one for good responsivity
-Added all major I/O schedulers (sio,v(r),bfq,...). SIO is the default one
-Maximized SD card read speed with read ahead
-Init.d script support (Klin's patch)
-Overclock and undervoltage support
At default, no overclock is applied. Kernel is tweaked for good battery/performance ratio. If you want you can tune your parameters using SetCPU (available on market) or similar programs.
Steve,

May I ask, what were the cpu governors on your 2.1 kernel?

I'm curious because with 3.0 I'm getting noticeably worse performance on 3D games (hiccups, stalls etc.). I wonder what settings to use in SetCPU to make things smoother with 3.0. Thanks.
__________________
USING: Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 USA
with SteveS' Kernel + Voodoo Control
Reply With Quote

  #191  
Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 AM
woer woer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperP View Post
Steve,

May I ask, what were the cpu governors on your 2.1 kernel?

I'm curious because with 3.0 I'm getting noticeably worse performance on 3D games (hiccups, stalls etc.). I wonder what settings to use in SetCPU to make things smoother with 3.0. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure by default they are cfq. You can use tegrak to pick which one you want (there are other programs that do it, too)
Reply With Quote

  #192  
Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 AM
-SteveS- -SteveS- is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 41
Default

In 2.1 the default governor was on demand. On 3.0 is interactive but you can choose what you want, there are many available. Just install one of the many apps available

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperP View Post
Steve,

May I ask, what were the cpu governors on your 2.1 kernel?

I'm curious because with 3.0 I'm getting noticeably worse performance on 3D games (hiccups, stalls etc.). I wonder what settings to use in SetCPU to make things smoother with 3.0. Thanks.
Reply With Quote

  #193  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:18 PM
puddnhead puddnhead is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 26
Default

What is the likelihood that this could be adapted to the new 4.2?

I know it's probably too soon to ask, but ... just thought I'd try I understand completely that any & all answers are completely non-binding! I'm mostly just curious if anyone is even thinking about it right now.
Reply With Quote

  #194  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:04 PM
zacp2 zacp2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddnhead View Post
What is the likelihood that this could be adapted to the new 4.2?

I know it's probably too soon to ask, but ... just thought I'd try I understand completely that any & all answers are completely non-binding! I'm mostly just curious if anyone is even thinking about it right now.
Yes it's definitly possible but we would need the source and the initramfs of the actual device.
Reply With Quote

  #195  
Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM
puddnhead puddnhead is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacp2 View Post
Yes it's definitly possible but we would need the source and the initramfs of the actual device.
Understood. Thanks for the reply!
Reply With Quote

  #196  
Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 AM
kindarandomz kindarandomz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 62
Default

hi thanks for your efforts!

Does flashing this require root?

if so, how do you root the SGP 4.0?
Reply With Quote

  #197  
Old 05-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Daniel644 Daniel644 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindarandomz View Post
hi thanks for your efforts!

Does flashing this require root?

if so, how do you root the SGP 4.0?
Yes and its on the forum here http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...845#post594845
Post #89 of this thread.
__________________
Galaxy S 4.0 Wifi (USA)
Running STeVEs custom Kernel
and Klin's Klassic 2.3.6 ROM for Galaxy Player 4.0 USA
Reply With Quote

  #198  
Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 AM
zacp2 zacp2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
Yes and its on the forum here http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...845#post594845
Post #89 of this thread.
Flashing does not require root but it is better when your device is rooted. (for voodoo sound for example.)
Reply With Quote

  #199  
Old 05-13-2012, 01:48 AM
kindarandomz kindarandomz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 62
Default

EDIT: NVM, got it.

Last edited by kindarandomz; 05-13-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #200  
Old 06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
natkingcole natkingcole is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12
Default

Sry if this was asked already. I'm a total android-noob.

Is a ROM = OS like Android 2.3.7 etc?

Is this the right order if I want Voodoo Sound and the latest possible Android OS for the YP-G1?:
-rooting with easy rooting toolkit
-flashing kernel, for instance steve's or TerraSilent
-flashing ROM, for instance Rennaissance or Klassik's
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.