android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 06-01-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natkingcole View Post
Sry if this was asked already. I'm a total android-noob.

Is a ROM = OS like Android 2.3.7 etc?

Is this the right order if I want Voodoo Sound and the latest possible Android OS for the YP-G1?:
-rooting with easy rooting toolkit
-flashing kernel, for instance steve's or TerraSilent
-flashing ROM, for instance Rennaissance or Klassik's
If you indeed do plan to flash a ROM then there is no need to root as the ROM you flash will be rooted, If you do the latest Klin Klassic ROM (at least the US version) should already have the terrasilent kernel IIRC, The reason to flash a kernel first is so You can create a "stock" backup in CWM, and that is best done with the Terrasilent kernel as it has the latest version of CWM that has been ported and backs up things the earlier versions didn't either way both those ROM's are only 2.3.6, to get 2.3.7 you have to go the CM7 route and I wouldn't recommend that unless your an expert in backing up and restoring all kinds little files, CM7 is just not ready for daily use, plus you can't use any other kernel other then what is in CM7 with it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-01-2012, 06:07 PM

This helped me a lot. Thank you Daniel

Old 06-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Default Boot Loop

Hey guy's I have a SGP 4.0 rooted and STeVEs Custom Kernel installed with the help of you all in these forums. Here lately i have been getting an itch to try the new Stratus rom from the XDA forums.

Realizing i may need a backup i decided to use CWM recovery to do an nandroid back up. I read where you may get bootlooped just entering it with STeVEs rom but also read contradicting posts where no one had problems and a couple where it had been fixed. I decided to gamble and go for it. I had no problems getting in nor getting my backup. Going out, it rebooted.....and rebooted......and rebooted ect.

I then followed Daniels suggestion in #172 post above. I got the tar file Loaded in PDA of Odin3 v1.85 with only auto reboot and F. reset time selected. Couple of min later i got a green pass and it rebooted. I thought i was out of the woods but it rebooted and rebooted...........

I tried flashing it 3 times with the same results each time. I can enter CWM recovery and download mode but thats it. Any suggestions on what else to try or something i've missed?
Thanks in advance Michael.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:10 PM

"UPDATE" After reinstalling The samsung usb drivers i finally got the laptop to recognize the SGP. I reflashed with odin. After another successful green pass, it rebooted. The problem now is that it reboots to CWM recovery mode

I can use volume keys to move up and down the menu but i can't enter anything with the power key. All I can do is hold down the volume down key and power key to get back to download mode or hold down just the power key and it goes to samsung logo and then right back into CWM recovery mode.

So in essence, it's booting to CWM now every time????????

Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc7 View Post
Hey guy's I have a SGP 4.0 rooted and STeVEs Custom Kernel installed with the help of you all in these forums. Here lately i have been getting an itch to try the new Stratus rom from the XDA forums.

Realizing i may need a backup i decided to use CWM recovery to do an nandroid back up. I read where you may get bootlooped just entering it with STeVEs rom but also read contradicting posts where no one had problems and a couple where it had been fixed. I decided to gamble and go for it. I had no problems getting in nor getting my backup. Going out, it rebooted.....and rebooted......and rebooted ect.

I then followed Daniels suggestion in #172 post above. I got the tar file Loaded in PDA of Odin3 v1.85 with only auto reboot and F. reset time selected. Couple of min later i got a green pass and it rebooted. I thought i was out of the woods but it rebooted and rebooted...........

I tried flashing it 3 times with the same results each time. I can enter CWM recovery and download mode but thats it. Any suggestions on what else to try or something i've missed?
Thanks in advance Michael.
My instructions said that after flashing back to the stock ROM you HAVE TO REBOOT INTO STOCK RECOVERY and wipe cache and factory reset to get it to boot. By the way there are much newer and better kernels and ROM's then these "first drafts" by SteveS, you really should check out the development pages over at xda http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1423

Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 PM

Thanks for your quick reply Daniel. I'm not able to get into stock recovery mode. If i hold down the up volume key and power key, it takes me into CWM recovery mode. Even after i flash and get a green pass with odin.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 PM

"UPDATE" "FIXED" Daniel you have been super helpful with my questions since diving into this android world and i so appreciate your time and patience with a noob. What i did was let it boot up into CWM recovery mode then used volume keys to go down to wipe cache and factory reset, then just on a wild guess i tried the soft keys to select it.

The home key did just that. After it performed the task, it rebooted and hung at the samsung logo for what seemed like forever. The a haptic vibration and then (a site that made me want to cry) i was right back to the home screen like it came from the box! Once again I thank you. Michael

BTW, I'm thinking CWM Recovery mode and Stock Recovery mode are two different animals. Maybe there not and my noob way of thinking is just way off???

Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc7 View Post
"UPDATE" "FIXED" Daniel you have been super helpful with my questions since diving into this android world and i so appreciate your time and patience with a noob. What i did was let it boot up into CWM recovery mode then used volume keys to go down to wipe cache and factory reset, then just on a wild guess i tried the soft keys to select it.

The home key did just that. After it performed the task, it rebooted and hung at the samsung logo for what seemed like forever. The a haptic vibration and then (a site that made me want to cry) i was right back to the home screen like it came from the box! Once again I thank you. Michael

BTW, I'm thinking CWM Recovery mode and Stock Recovery mode are two different animals. Maybe there not and my noob way of thinking is just way off???
If you had flashed the particular ROM I was talking about (the so called "stock rooted") via Odin you would have been back to stock recovery reflashing SteveS (or any other kernel for that matter) you would get CWM.

I am currently running the TerraSilent 1.1 kernel which is based off Klins R3 kernel which is based off of Steves Kernel, it has support for ext4 file structure, so you can convert from rfs to ext4 which boost scores in the quadrant benchmark test by atleast 50% and I use No Frills CPU to overclock to 1.2 Ghz which will allow you to almost double your quadrant benchmark over stock, Check out Stratus ROM its what I've been using as of late, and the sound quality is AMAZING!!!

One other piece of advice, AVOID the CyanogenMod builds (or built froms) for now they have way to much that needs to be worked out to be a daily use item, and will cause you some issues if you don't have proper FULL BACKUPS (not just CWM backups)

Old 09-04-2012, 09:13 AM

hopefully someone can help
I seem to be in aminority, but I was unable to flash the kernel (big red failed in odin). I now find myself in the position with a message on screen saying "firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again"
I am unable to get past this message and when trying Kies , there is no connection.
Have I completely bricked my player, and is there any way to get it back working?

thank you for any help and advice given

Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM

Can you go into recovery mode on the player (hold power+up button when you power the device on)? If so, do a factory reset from there.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM

thanks for that
all i can get on the screen is a phone symbol and a monitor symbol and a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it between the symbols. underneath is the following -
"firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in Kies & try again".

still failing to get anywhere in Odin on 2 different machines with different USB cables.
I installed Kies, but it would not connect. I have ordered a USB Jig so hopefully that may help, but I am still open to suggestions

thanks again

Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme101 View Post
thanks for that
all i can get on the screen is a phone symbol and a monitor symbol and a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it between the symbols. underneath is the following -
"firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in Kies & try again".

still failing to get anywhere in Odin on 2 different machines with different USB cables.
I installed Kies, but it would not connect. I have ordered a USB Jig so hopefully that may help, but I am still open to suggestions

thanks again
the monitor to yellow triangle is typically a forced download mode but i've never seen it with "firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select recovery mode in Kies & try again" before, usually when this happens to me I just unplug and replug the usb to reset the odin connection and flash again, I have yet to see anyone bork there 4.0 to a level requiring a JIG, I know a few have ordered them, but we solved the problem before it arrived.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:29 PM

I can access Odin but get the following message and a big red fail when trying to flash Steves' kernel using PDA only, does this help make any sense?
if i press power, menu and down I get theproper warning message and an option to volume up to continue or volume down to cancel restart phone. either press gets me back to the previous mentioned screen
thanks
Graeme

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> zImage
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Old 09-05-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I can access Odin but get the following message and a big red fail when trying to flash Steves' kernel using PDA only, does this help make any sense?
if i press power, menu and down I get theproper warning message and an option to volume up to continue or volume down to cancel restart phone. either press gets me back to the previous mentioned screen
thanks
Graeme

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> zImage
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
Are you sure you have a 4.0 and not like a 4.2 or something?
Power plus volume down should put you in download mode, there shouldn't be ANY CHOICES to be made on the player at this point, just plug to computer and flash through Odin.
Power plus volume up would take you to RECOVERY MODE and that has a choice to restart phone but that is the WRONG mode to be in to flash with Odin, why are you pressing the menu button in your key combinations?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:30 PM

Hi Daniel
you have no idea what an idiot i feel, it is indeed a 4.2. I should have looked on the box, but as I ordered a 4.0 from amazon that is what I assumed that I received and in my haste to customize I went ahead and tried to flash the 4.0 kernel. Now, it seems that I have an expensive brick as I cannot find any kernels or stock roms for the 4.2.

thanks for your help anyway

Graeme

a lesson learned, the hard way

Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Hi Daniel
you have no idea what an idiot i feel, it is indeed a 4.2. I should have looked on the box, but as I ordered a 4.0 from amazon that is what I assumed that I received and in my haste to customize I went ahead and tried to flash the 4.0 kernel. Now, it seems that I have an expensive brick as I cannot find any kernels or stock roms for the 4.2.

thanks for your help anyway

Graeme

a lesson learned, the hard way
Yeah I don't know of anything yet, keep an eye over here http://forum.xda-developers.com/foru...423&order=desc and maybe one will come soon.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 AM

thanks for your help
sorry for wasting your time with wrong info

graeme

Old 09-12-2012, 03:03 PM

just got a stock kernel from XDA , and this has worked for me. looking forward now to some use of the 4.2 and hopefully some custom roms in the future.
if anyone is in the same predicament with a 4.2, it is worth a trip to the XDA forum.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Hi guys,long time lurker here.
I actually own a clip zip rockboxed which,for my finances is totally worth and i am pretty happy with it.
But i am considering to buy a bigger mp3 player in the future,but at the moment the only player where is possible to bypass it Dac and Amp completely is the Galaxy S3,which is way out my budget and i don't need a phone.
So i am asking this thread specific because it seems among the more experienced out there and Head-Fi.
There is any of those Galaxy players where it is possible just it as digital transport,given modifications?
The 3.6 and the 4.0 have changeable battery,micro SD slot port,they are Android (don't like Apple very much).So if some XDA developer already has found a way to make those players do send digital out from the micro USB it will be the perfect portable hi-fi music player for me,but at the moment i did not found anything reliable.
Any help is appreciated
Thank you guys

Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T800 View Post
Hi guys,long time lurker here.
I actually own a clip zip rockboxed which,for my finances is totally worth and i am pretty happy with it.
But i am considering to buy a bigger mp3 player in the future,but at the moment the only player where is possible to bypass it Dac and Amp completely is the Galaxy S3,which is way out my budget and i don't need a phone.
So i am asking this thread specific because it seems among the more experienced out there and Head-Fi.
There is any of those Galaxy players where it is possible just it as digital transport,given modifications?
The 3.6 and the 4.0 have changeable battery,micro SD slot port,they are Android (don't like Apple very much).So if some XDA developer already has found a way to make those players do send digital out from the micro USB it will be the perfect portable hi-fi music player for me,but at the moment i did not found anything reliable.
Any help is appreciated
Thank you guys
First off, this has NOTHING to do with Steves kernel or ROM and there for doesn't belong here, it should be its own thread.

As for your question, not that i'm aware of.