android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 01-17-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
You may want to check the the start of the thread

(Steve updated his entry and it now includes a ROM for the US release.)
the last update i'm seeing was about 10 days ago and that was the addition of a KERNEL for the US version (which adds support for voodoo) but the ROM (which gives you honeycomb statusbar icons, transparent notification pane, ICS windows effects and CRT screen off animation) is only listed only for the EU version.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
the last update i'm seeing was about 10 days ago and that was the addition of a KERNEL for the US version (which adds support for voodoo) but the ROM (which gives you honeycomb statusbar icons, transparent notification pane, ICS windows effects and CRT screen off animation) is only listed only for the EU version.
You are right, my mistake. The difference (ROM vs Kernel) wasn't clear to me, plus I was only looking for voodoo support.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Hello, I am looking to install steve's custom kernel and was curious as to what benefits it has in addition to getting the sound up to an appropriate level. From what I understand then, my device will be rooted? Any type of information is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
ROM, are you sure? there is only the Kernel for the US the ROM can't be used on the US because the US has a capacitive Home button and the EU has a Physical button and the ROM is for the EU version.
Can someone please explain why the ROM would not work with a capacitive button? Thanks.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupti View Post
Can someone please explain why the ROM would not work with a capacitive button? Thanks.
The ROM contains the "drivers" and the drivers are different between the capacitive and physical buttons, it has already been tested and confirmed that it loads on the US version and everything seems to work except the home button.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:46 PM

Oh, ok. Is there any other way to get the ROM features with the US version?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 PM

Not unless you know how to compile your own build, right now where just sitting back waiting for someone to do it for us.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Ok. Do I need to have my SGP rooted to install this kernel? I'm just really worried of bricking my device, since I have it from the US.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Ok. Do I need to have my SGP rooted to install this kernel? I'm just really worried of bricking my device, since I have it from the US.
not sure on that one, but it super easy to do:

first download and install USB drivers from here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961956

second follow the superoneclick method here: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66748

if during rooting it asks any yes or no questions say yes (I think there was one)

as for flashing the Kernel I used Odin 1.85 from this link : http://hotfile.com/dl/141079601/fb98...v1.85.rar.html

Rooting takes about 10 minutes give or take, i'm brand new to Android and did it within the first 6 hours of having opened the box my player shipped in, if you follow the directions its pretty hard to screwup. It is literally just hit the giant button that says ROOT and just choose yes on any prompts that follow till it says its done.

Flashing the kernel, well lets put it this way, I think it takes longer to reboot from the flash then it does to flash.

The only thing that goofed me up for a minute was winrar sees the .tar (kernel) as a "unzippable" file do not unrar, use the .tar in odin as described and you should be fine, I know I am.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:

first download and install USB drivers from here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961956

second follow the superoneclick method here: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66748

if during rooting it asks any yes or no questions say yes (I think there was one)

as for flashing the Kernel I used Odin 1.85 from this link : http://hotfile.com/dl/141079601/fb98...v1.85.rar.html

Rooting takes about 10 minutes give or take, i'm brand new to Android and did it within the first 6 hours of having opened the box my player shipped in, if you follow the directions its pretty hard to screwup. It is literally just hit the giant button that says ROOT and just choose yes on any prompts that follow till it says its done.

Flashing the kernel, well lets put it this way, I think it takes longer to reboot from the flash then it does to flash.

The only thing that goofed me up for a minute was winrar sees the .tar (kernel) as a "unzippable" file do not unrar, use the .tar in odin as described and you should be fine, I know I am.
Ok, thanks for the info! I already modified things in the past, such as my iPod and my Wii, but not a "smart" device. This should be easy.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the info! I already modified things in the past, such as my iPod and my Wii, but not a "smart" device. This should be easy.
It was easier then doing my 4.2U Wii softmod.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:58 PM

Hey Steve, the links to your Kernels and ROM are broken, since Megaupload was taken down. Can you fix them?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Hey Steve, the links to your Kernels and ROM are broken, since Megaupload was taken down. Can you fix them?
US 2.1 Kernel mediafire link: http://www.mediafire.com/?gnrprc507v1f80z

Old 01-22-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:

Thank you so much for the short version! I followed your links and even though my knees were shaky that was incredibly easy. Much thanks!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:57 AM

Uploaded the kernels in fileserve. ROM uploading in progress...

Old 01-22-2012, 09:04 AM

Upload to fileserve completed. New links available in the OP!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
Upload to fileserve completed. New links available in the OP!
Fileserve locked down so you can only download files you uploaded, might I suggest mediafire, they seem to be one of the less likely to do this.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Fileserve locked down so you can only download files you uploaded, might I suggest mediafire, they seem to be one of the less likely to do this.
Another way (if worst comes to worst) is linking the kernels and ROM to a personal cloud.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 AM

Ok, now kernels are attached to the OP so you can download them. For the ROM, as it's a big file, I'm currently evaluating other options...

Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 PM

Default megaupload was closed...

what can i do now? i have crashed my player, i would use cyanogenmod, than its crashed...

F*** SOPA!