android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 01-24-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
Ok, now kernels are attached to the OP so you can download them. For the ROM, as it's a big file, I'm currently evaluating other options...
Well, if you have the storage space, you can drag the ROM into your Dropbox Public Folder, then copy the Public link and put it in the OP.

This can also be done with Ubuntu One, by choosing to publish the file.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 AM

I just flashed Steve's US kernel yesterday for the Voodoo support. I had a little difficulty doing so because I didn't realize I needed the Samsung USB drivers installed for Odin to properly recognize the device. I'm the type that doesn't install drivers unless I absolutely need to. Windows recognizes the internal and external space without the drivers so I never bothered.

Anyway, between the instructions on post #1 and post #89, I was able to get it working. I wanted to post a combination of those instructions to make it dead simple for people looking to flash their US SGP 4.0's to the Voodoo enabling US kernel:

Installing the US kernel for Voodoo sound support:

Before flashing the kernel, the Samsung USB drivers must be installed (Windows x86 and x64). [Download Link] (Daniel644's link)
(Odin won't recognize the device otherwise)

Download Odin 1.85 here. (Daniel644's link)

ODIN flash instructions:

1) Download the right kernel for your player (EU or USA version)
2) Extract the zip file. Inside there is a tar flashable with ODIN
3) Put your player in DOWNLOAD MODE (With the device powered off press simultaneously Power button, menu button and volume down button until a green android symbol appears)
4) open ODIN and connect your player via usb
5) in ODIN window select PDA and choose the packet tar you want to flash. (must use the .tar file, do not extract the .tar)
6) Make sure Re-Partition in unselected (OR YOU WILL BRICK THE DEVICE)
7) Press start and wait for the end of the procedure (don't disconnect the device until flashing is complete or you will brick the device)

Old 01-27-2012, 05:15 AM

Hi everyone,

OK, I'm a total newbie. Never owned an Android device before, but have used hacks on various other devices in the past (i.e. iPad, PSP etc.) so I'm open minded about this sort of thing. Right now I know nothing about hacking Android, or what custom Kernels and ROMs provide.

So, I'm getting a 4.0 Player (USA) tomorrow, and have some questions:

1) If I use the US Kernel posted, will I lose any functionality (i.e. capacitive buttons)?
2) Aside from the Voodoo audio fixes, what else will be gained/changed?
3) What exactly is the difference between a custom Kernel and ROM?

Thank you! :-)

Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperP View Post
Hi everyone,

OK, I'm a total newbie. Never owned an Android device before, but have used hacks on various other devices in the past (i.e. iPad, PSP etc.) so I'm open minded about this sort of thing. Right now I know nothing about hacking Android, or what custom Kernels and ROMs provide.

1) If I use the US Kernel posted, will I lose any functionality (i.e. capacitive buttons)?

1. no lost capacity that i've seen.
2. for the US kernel, I believe Steves said the only thing he did was add the patches to support voodoo, and a little boot logo.
3. read here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...=ROM-VS-Kernel

Don't forget to install the voodoo control app after putting on the kernel (note: this cannot be done thru the standard android market you need to download the apk to your computer and transfer it to the root of your player, then use the file browser to find it and run it)

Old 01-27-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I updated the OP with some more details, I hope this will answer your questions

Old 01-28-2012, 12:54 PM

Thank you very much for the replies. I have another question, and hopefully it's not too out of place in this thread.

What is the best way to root an SGP 4.0?

I read about a PC app called SuperOneClick that can root devices. Would that work for my SGP 4.0? If not, a link to instructions would be especially appreciated. I'm very new to Android, and don't want to do anything stupid.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much for the replies. I have another question, and hopefully it's not too out of place in this thread.

What is the best way to root an SGP 4.0?

I read about a PC app called SuperOneClick that can root devices. Would that work for my SGP 4.0? If not, a link to instructions would be especially appreciated. I'm very new to Android, and don't want to do anything stupid.
yes it works, see post #89 on page 5 of this thread for the links.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 AM

What likelyhood is there that a version for the Korean model will be forthcoming?
Perhaps there is a way already out there that I am unaware of?

Appreciate the work SteveS.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:04 PM

After installing Steve's US kernel so I could use the Voodoo control app, I have some questions about the Voodoo control app itself, that I don't think has been asked in this thread.

Does the app have to be run each time the player is turned on to use the sound adjustments or does it even have to be running in the background for it to work?

Does the Voodoo control app cause the SGP to drain the battery faster? Or is it more a case of what settings are used? I would imagine significantly increasing the analog level would drain the battery more. The sweet spot for me on this setting with my headphones is -5 or -6 db with the sgp volume set to around 18 or so.

I must say that the FM radio adjustments that the Voodoo control app makes makes a huge difference in the sound, much more so to me then the mp3 playback (192-bit playback mostly).

Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfewalker View Post
After installing Steve's US kernel so I could use the Voodoo control app, I have some questions about the Voodoo control app itself, that I don't think has been asked in this thread.

Does the app have to be run each time the player is turned on to use the sound adjustments or does it even have to be running in the background for it to work?

Does the Voodoo control app cause the SGP to drain the battery faster? Or is it more a case of what settings are used? I would imagine significantly increasing the analog level would drain the battery more. The sweet spot for me on this setting with my headphones is -5 or -6 db with the sgp volume set to around 18 or so.

I must say that the FM radio adjustments that the Voodoo control app makes makes a huge difference in the sound, much more so to me then the mp3 playback (192-bit playback mostly).
I would suggest using the "Map Volume Keys Hack" it basically maxes the SGP volume scale then gives you analog control above that, gives you a nice smooth volume curve.

I should preface this part by telling you that my use is almost always using the music at full volume going into the aux in of my car CD player.

at -5 db I doubt you will see any increase in drain. @ 0 db which I use, I see about 5-10 percent more battery use then before.

the app runs in the background and automatically kicks in anytime headphones are plugged in, so baring a force close NO you don't have to turn it on everytime, it runs in the background so don't ever stop the app with any task managers or you will need to relaunch it.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:34 PM

I just wanna say thank you to SteveS and all the people who were helpful in this thread!

Last night I successfully rooted my 4.0, applied the custom kernel, and installed Voodoo control. Having a great time using my fancy hacked player!

I am continuously amazed (as a former iPod Touch user) at all the cool things this device can do.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 AM

I received my SGS wifi 4.0 today but I was wondering how do I identify if I have the US, EU or Korean model?

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II

Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
I received my SGS wifi 4.0 today but I was wondering how do I identify if I have the US, EU or Korean model?
The US model has a capacitive home button and I think it only comes in the 8GB format.

The Korean model has an antenna that can be pulled out to watch TV (but only in Korea), and has a physical home button.

I think the EU version has a physical button and comes in multiple formats, but I'm not sure.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM

I have followed Steve's instructions but now when I start my SGS Galaxy S 4.0 the boot process just loops.

All I get is the Samsung Logo and a blue Android at the corner with "Steve's Kernel" written underneath and it just repeats all the time as if the boot is in loop. I cannot switch it off. I also get "USB Device not Recognised" pop up at the bottom of Windows 7.

This is the message I get on Odin:

Added!
Odin v 3 engine (ID:5)
File analysis
SetUpConnection
Initialization
Get PIT from mapping
Firmware Update start
zImage
NAND write start
RQT_CLOSE!!
RES OK !!
Completed
All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

According to Odin everything went fine except that the USB device is not recognised and boots in a loop.

Have I bricked this?

UPDATE!!

I now have it working!! I had to install steves10.tar and now it works but now my Galaxy S is now called Galaxy Player in the boot logo. Is this normal?

Only problem I have now is that when i connect my SGS wifi 4.0 to Kies to update firmware I am presented with this message: "your device does not support software upgrading via kies"

Last edited by Artmuzz; 02-01-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I have followed Steve's instructions but now when I start my SGS Galaxy S 4.0 the boot process just loops.

All I get is the Samsung Logo and a blue Android at the corner with "Steve's Kernel" written underneath and it just repeats all the time as if the boot is in loop. I cannot switch it off. I also get "USB Device not Recognised" pop up at the bottom of Windows 7.

This is the message I get on Odin:

Added!
Odin v 3 engine (ID:5)
File analysis
SetUpConnection
Initialization
Get PIT from mapping
Firmware Update start
zImage
NAND write start
RQT_CLOSE!!
RES OK !!
Completed
All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

According to Odin everything went fine except that the USB device is not recognised and boots in a loop.

Have I bricked this?

UPDATE!!

I now have it working!! I had to install steves10.tar and now it works but now my Galaxy S is now called Galaxy Player in the boot logo. Is this normal?

Only problem I have now is that when i connect my SGS wifi 4.0 to Kies to update firmware I am presented with this message: "your device does not support software upgrading via kies"
Wait a second... the kernel in this thread is not for the Galaxy S, that's a phone. This thread is only for the Galaxy Players which are not phones.

Also, for Kies, you need to go into Settings and change USB mode to Kies mode. Then it will work.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:15 PM

No, the Galaxy S wifi is not a phone. It is a PMP without the phone. My SGS wifi 4.0 connects to Kies fine. The problem is that when I check firmware update it tells me my device does not support firmware upgrading via kies.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
No, the Galaxy S wifi is not a phone. It is a PMP without the phone. My SGS wifi 4.0 connects to Kies fine. The problem is that when I check firmware update it tells me my device does not support firmware upgrading via kies.
What he was talking about was you had said "Galaxy S" ,in your previous post, which is a t-mobile phone when you meant "Galaxy S wifi 4.0" which is the PMP.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 PM

I successfully flashed my SGS WiFi 4.0 using STeVEs custom ROM and Kernel and downloaded Voodoo Control Plus 3.0.5.2. The difference in SQ is awesome but I have one question. When I select Kernel Module options, I get this:

In green text: No need to load module:
Built-in-Kernel Voodoo sound: v10

In red text: Device or Kernel version not supported: not a problem if your kernel already support Voodoo Sound
Name: YP-G1
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G1XXKPN

In green text: Superuser is available
Superuser permissions granted

I try to select "Load sound driver" but nothing happens and I try to select "Load driver at boot" but again nothing happens.

So does this mean STeVEs custom kernel is not supported and that even though Voodoo Control Plus loads on my SGS wifi 4.0 (YP-G1) I am not getting the full advantage of the Voodoo control Plus on the devices DAC?

Please advise

Old 02-04-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
I successfully flashed my SGS WiFi 4.0 using STeVEs custom ROM and Kernel and downloaded Voodoo Control Plus 3.0.5.2. The difference in SQ is awesome but I have one question. When I select Kernel Module options, I get this:

In red text: Device or Kernel version not supported: not a problem if your kernel already support Voodoo Sound

I try to select "Load sound driver" but nothing happens and I try to select "Load driver at boot" but again nothing happens.

So does this mean STeVEs custom kernel is not supported and that even though Voodoo Control Plus loads on my SGS wifi 4.0 (YP-G1) I am not getting the full advantage of the Voodoo control Plus on the devices DAC?

Please advise
If you can choose settings like "map volume keys hack" or set "volume limit" then your good, loading voodoo on a non supported kernel will just give you a message that "this kernel is unsupported" or something like that.

Lets put it this way, dude you are over analyzing things, i've been running this for over 2 weeks and never saw that menu till I went searching for it just now.

If when you plug something into the headphone jack the little voodoo icon shows up at the top of your player then your GOOD, stop digging thru meaningless menus, for the record mine said the same thing, and I know my voodoo is working because I saw what it would do (or better wouldn't do) before having steves kernel.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:

Please advise
It's Ok, the module needs to be loaded only on kernels which doesn't have voodoo included, but as my kernel has voodoo integrated, there's no need of external modules