android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 02-04-2012, 06:08 AM

Thanks for replies. Good to know that voodoo is integrated on this flash ROM and kernel. I am really enjoying the Wolfson's SQ and thanks to STeVE for this custom ROM and kernel and Supercurio for Voodoo Control. Without them the SGS Wi-Fi 4.0 would be missing out using the Wolfson WM8994 to its full advantage.

I was reading that Supercurio will be implementing the Wolfson's hardware EQ and 3D sound spatializer into Voodoo Control Plus but I haven't heard anymore on that. Has there been any news on that?

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-04-2012, 01:10 PM

Are there any plans to make a ROM for the US version?

John 3:16

Old 02-04-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeppBoy View Post
Are there any plans to make a ROM for the US version?
That would be nice , but Steve would probably need an original US ROM so he has the drivers for the capacitive home button.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:50 AM

SteveS or someone really smart,

Please help me.

My USA YP-G1 was working beautifully with the custom kernel, but tonight I booted to recovery mode just to see it. Unfortunately when I rebooted out it put my Player 4.0 into infinite boot logos.

I can still access Clockworkmod Recovery 3.0.0.5, but now I'm not sure what to do to fix my unit.

I got a copy of the USA ROM from xda-developers forum, but someone said it's not correct. I'm so nervous now. Please, what can I do?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperP View Post

Please help me.

My USA YP-G1 was working beautifully with the custom kernel, but tonight I booted to recovery mode just to see it. Unfortunately when I rebooted out it put my Player 4.0 into infinite boot logos.

I can still access Clockworkmod Recovery 3.0.0.5, but now I'm not sure what to do to fix my unit.

I got a copy of the USA ROM from xda-developers forum, but someone said it's not correct. I'm so nervous now. Please, what can I do?
Well, I've never recovered an Android before, but I found two links that might help you.

You can get the US ROM (and other ROMs) directly from Samsung (Mobile>MP3 Player & Etc.):
https://opensource.samsung.com/index.jsp

Then, if you can boot into Clockwork, here is how to use it:
http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...omplete-guide/

Just change the ROM zip file name into "update.zip" (without quotes), and place it in the root of your SD card (directly in it, not in folders). You should be able to install it from there. Just remember it will take a while, so make sure your battery has a decent charge.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by gupti; 02-05-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Please help me.

1) download odin 1.3 (google it or http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...36&postcount=2) *note* there are later versions of odin, but they didn't work for me; only 1.3 did.

2) download us rom (http://www.4shared.com/file/zhZjh0EY..._us235tar.html)

3) plug in 4.0

4) turn it on holding power and vol down to get it to download mode (not recovery mode). it'll have a picture with the android dude and a triangle sign (i think he has a shovel but can't remember)

5) flash rom with odin

5) now go into recovery mode by holding power on and volume *up* at boot.

6) go to wipe data/factory reset and then wipe cache

7) next boot should have you starting up like the first time you got it

Old 02-05-2012, 01:34 PM

Woer,

Did you personally recover your YP-G1 using that ROM file?

I read on xda forums that it may not be a valid ROM. Is it? Thanks.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:27 PM

Just get the original ROM from which I previously posted. They should work.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Gupti,

Thanks, but what is there seems to be source code packages, and not flashable ROM files.

Anyway, I am just taking it to Best Buy for an exchange now. They will probably exchange it with no trouble. But if they refuse (doubtful), then I will try to fix it myself.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 PM

To SteveS,

Can you please tell me why entering recovery mode (flashed your latest US kernel) caused my YP-G1 to go into infinite boot logo loops?

1) Should we not use recovery if we flash your kernel?

2) And if we need to use recovery, what should we do?

I love your custom kernel and voodoo, so when I get my replacement Player 4.0, I want to have a better understanding of what I'm doing and how to setup things up so I never do this again.

THANK YOU.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
To SteveS,

Can you please tell me why entering recovery mode (flashed your latest US kernel) caused my YP-G1 to go into infinite boot logo loops?

1) Should we not use recovery if we flash your kernel?

2) And if we need to use recovery, what should we do?

I love your custom kernel and voodoo, so when I get my replacement Player 4.0, I want to have a better understanding of what I'm doing and how to setup things up so I never do this again.

THANK YOU.
To answer your first question to me, yes I used that file on mine (u.s. version, 4.0), and it worked perfectly. You plug it into the PDA section of Odin.

As for these questions, it's right in the first post in the notes section for each kernel: "NOTE: Don't use ROM Manager: it's a modified version of CWM so it won't work correctly". If you enter recovery mode, you'll get boot loop'd.

I use android commander to back up everything on my device.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Gupti,

Thanks, but what is there seems to be source code packages, and not flashable ROM files.
Whoops, sorry. Please forgive my negligence.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woer View Post
To answer your first question to me, yes I used that file on mine (u.s. version, 4.0), and it worked perfectly. You plug it into the PDA section of Odin.

As for these questions, it's right in the first post in the notes section for each kernel: "NOTE: Don't use ROM Manager: it's a modified version of CWM so it won't work correctly". If you enter recovery mode, you'll get boot loop'd.

I use android commander to back up everything on my device.
Well, I already exchanged at Best Buy, so that's done. New unit sitting here, ready for setup. Too bad, I guess I could've just fixed it myself. Oh well.

Regarding CWM -- the language in the first post is what confused me. I didn't know that "ROM Manager" referred to Clockwork Mod Recovery mode. I thought it was maybe something else.

For now I'm gonna stay with stock firmware.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Well, I already exchanged at Best Buy, so that's done. New unit sitting here, ready for setup. Too bad, I guess I could've just fixed it myself. Oh well.

Regarding CWM -- the language in the first post is what confused me. I didn't know that "ROM Manager" referred to Clockwork Mod Recovery mode. I thought it was maybe something else.

For now I'm gonna stay with stock firmware.
ROM manager IS NOT Clockworkmod Recovery. Is an app used in conjunction with clockworkmod recovery to flash things without rebooting.

Sorry to hear what happened to you, but flashing firmwares is always a risky operation because if an error happens, it result always in a bootloop. To minimize risks you should flash only with full battery and without an external microSD inserted.
However, your device was recoverable. Galaxy players like galaxy S phones are very hard to permanently brick, in most cases can be unbricked easily using download mode and odin.
As someone told you, you could have entered download mode and then flash with odin the image posted above.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Thank you, SteveS.

This was a good learning experience for me. I appreciate everyone who gave me info and help. Hope you all have a good day.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM

Hi Steve, thank you for all your developing on the galaxy player 4.0 and I love your kernel. But do you plan on adding ext4 support (or voodoo lag fix) to your kernel? It would be awesome to use ext4 file systems because rfs is slow and gets slower the more you use it.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:03 PM

The lagfix would nice, but it might be hard to add. I wish I could help, but I only know some Python, and I think the Android kernel uses Java.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Doesn't it already support ext4?
https://github.com/SteveS84/Galaxy-P...master/fs/ext4

The link above lets me think it does, but how can I be sure? I tried to list the module with modprobe but it just didn't work. Isn't there a way to make modprobe work on android? Or is there an equivalent?

Btw, if it doesn't support it, shouldn't it be easy to add with menuconfig?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaph View Post
Doesn't it already support ext4?
https://github.com/SteveS84/Galaxy-P...master/fs/ext4

The link above lets me think it does, but how can I be sure? I tried to list the module with modprobe but it just didn't work. Isn't there a way to make modprobe work on android? Or is there an equivalent?

Btw, if it doesn't support it, shouldn't it be easy to add with menuconfig?
Ther kernel supports ext4 but it is not enabled by default. He needs to enlable it.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
STeVE's Kernel 2.1 for YP-G1 USA only (thanks sandro87 for testing)
-Based on Original XXKPQ Kernel
-Added Voodoo sound patches
-Added ClockWorkMod Recovery: you can flash zip updates, backup/restore the whole rom, mount storage on recovery and more
Hi SteveS,

Maybe you should change the part about clockwork recovery mode, because just entering recovery mode will "brick" the device into endless boot logos. That's what happened to me -- all I did was enter recovery to see what it was, and then I was bootloop'ed. (please see Clarification below)

I'm about to flash your kernel onto my new Player 4.0, because the difference in sound quality is worth it, but I am always fearful of accidentally holding Power+VolumeUp too long, which puts you into Recovery and then you're bootloop'ed, and have to totally reflash the ROM etc. :-/

Any way to fix that?

CLARIFICATION: actually now that I think about it, I didn't actually use Power+VolUp to enter Recovery that time. I used some reset app that gave me the option of resetting into Recovery. Does that make a difference? If I do use Power+VolUp in your kernel, would it safely enter Recovery and not bootloop my unit? Thank you for your help.

Update: flashed SteveS kernel to my new unit. OMG, the sound difference with Voodoo really is amazing. What a killer mp3 player this thing is after the hack. Samsung seriously needs to have it this way by default.

Last edited by TapperP; 02-08-2012 at 05:32 PM.