android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 02-09-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperP View Post
Hi SteveS,

Maybe you should change the part about clockwork recovery mode, because just entering recovery mode will "brick" the device into endless boot logos. That's what happened to me -- all I did was enter recovery to see what it was, and then I was bootloop'ed. (please see Clarification below)

I'm about to flash your kernel onto my new Player 4.0, because the difference in sound quality is worth it, but I am always fearful of accidentally holding Power+VolumeUp too long, which puts you into Recovery and then you're bootloop'ed, and have to totally reflash the ROM etc. :-/

Any way to fix that?

CLARIFICATION: actually now that I think about it, I didn't actually use Power+VolUp to enter Recovery that time. I used some reset app that gave me the option of resetting into Recovery. Does that make a difference? If I do use Power+VolUp in your kernel, would it safely enter Recovery and not bootloop my unit? Thank you for your help.

Update: flashed SteveS kernel to my new unit. OMG, the sound difference with Voodoo really is amazing. What a killer mp3 player this thing is after the hack. Samsung seriously needs to have it this way by default.
The only tested way to enter CWM recovery is booting with Power+VolUp+Menu keys. Don't use external apps! The kernel passed through a long beta test period on xda forum and no problems where reported by other users. Also on my player I didn't experience bootloop even if I flash updates regularly with CWM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 AM

OK, good to know that. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 PM

Okay im confused.As a 64 year old and new to this i have a USA version of samsung galaxy player 5.0.I want the voodo sound but not sure if its available for this player or not.I guess what im saying is i need step by step instructions to make this work without bricking my player.Can you help me on this? thanks

Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 PM

Thanks Steve it works great.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
i have a USA version of samsung galaxy player 5.0.I want the voodo sound but not sure if its available for this player or not.
The 5.0 uses different hardware so you cannot use the voodo sound with it.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 AM

Any chance that may change in future?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SteveS- View Post
The only tested way to enter CWM recovery is booting with Power+VolUp+Menu keys. Don't use external apps! The kernel passed through a long beta test period on xda forum and no problems where reported by other users. Also on my player I didn't experience bootloop even if I flash updates regularly with CWM.
Mine went into a boot loop when I accidentally went into recovery mode via Power+VolUp (I was holding the phone with the vol buttons in my palm and must have been holding VolUp down). I immediately rebooted without doing anything, and it happened. There's a thread on XDA where a third person had it happen, also. Any idea what the problem could be?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
NO, it could never ever be made to work with voodoo because it is DIFFERENT HARDWARE, it would be like trying to make am ATI driver work for an Nvidia card.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:44 AM

I am trying to flash the US kernel to my SGP 4.0, and have some questions:

1) Do I need to be rooted in order to flash the kernel? I tried before and after rooting, still no success--see next item.

2) When I boot the player in download mode and plug in the USB cable I get the following error message: "USB Device Not Recognized." I have installed Kies and have installed the USB drivers posted on the XDA forums. When I've set USB for Kies mode, Kies will connect to it. In debug mode, I was able to root using SuperOneClick.

3) When I run Odin, with the player in "normal" mode, it will recognize the player, but flashing does not work (which I would expect). In download mode, it does not seem to recognize the player, and when I select PDA and then the tar file, I press Start and immediately get an "All Threads Completed" message, but the kernel is not flashed.

The device isn't bricked. After unplugging the USB cable and pressing the power button, it boots normally, no updated kernel.

From the About Device section:

Firmware Revision: 2.3.5
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-G1UEKI8-CL562400
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.UEKI8

Note that this is my first Android root/patch experience. As such, I realize I'm probably missing a crucial yet obvious step.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by thirdeye73; 02-25-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 AM

Hello every one,

I use SteveS Rom on my GP4, even if I guess Wolfson audio is a good DAC, I'm a bit desappointed by the quality and tint of the high pitched, they aren't very beautiful and sometime very metallic.
I tried with the standard rom, but no changes

Did someone heard that ?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:36 PM

Are you using Voodoo sound ?

Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye73 View Post
I am trying to flash the US kernel to my SGP 4.0, and have some questions:

1) Do I need to be rooted in order to flash the kernel? I tried before and after rooting, still no success--see next item.

2) When I boot the player in download mode and plug in the USB cable I get the following error message: "USB Device Not Recognized." I have installed Kies and have installed the USB drivers posted on the XDA forums. When I've set USB for Kies mode, Kies will connect to it. In debug mode, I was able to root using SuperOneClick.

3) When I run Odin, with the player in "normal" mode, it will recognize the player, but flashing does not work (which I would expect). In download mode, it does not seem to recognize the player, and when I select PDA and then the tar file, I press Start and immediately get an "All Threads Completed" message, but the kernel is not flashed.

The device isn't bricked. After unplugging the USB cable and pressing the power button, it boots normally, no updated kernel.

From the About Device section:

Firmware Revision: 2.3.5
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-G1UEKI8-CL562400
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.UEKI8

Note that this is my first Android root/patch experience. As such, I realize I'm probably missing a crucial yet obvious step.

Thanks,
Scott
An easier way to flash it, easier than the given directions I mean, is to download SGS kernel flasher and point it at Steve's kernel. After that all you do is reboot. No need to go into download mode; no need to even connect it to your computer.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woer View Post
Mine went into a boot loop when I accidentally went into recovery mode via Power+VolUp (I was holding the phone with the vol buttons in my palm and must have been holding VolUp down). I immediately rebooted without doing anything, and it happened. There's a thread on XDA where a third person had it happen, also. Any idea what the problem could be?
That's what I was trying to explain to SteveS, but I did a bad job of it.

USA SGP4.0 boots to Recovery when you hold Power+VolUp, you don't have to also press Menu. It's easy to do accidentally because of the button placement, and with SteveS' kernel it can cause a bootloop. I am very, very careful about turning mine on because of this.

Would be great if this could be fixed someday.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
The 5.0 doesn't have the Wolfsson audio chip. Totally different hardware, so it can't be supported the same way by Voodoo AFAIK.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 PM

@woer: You are awesome! That did the trick, I am now running Steve's kernel. I'm using Rockbox as my player, which was already an improvement over Mixzyng, so I'll see how the Voodo Control sounds in my car tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 AM

Default Kernel flashing doesn't work

I tried to flash my SGP YP-G1 (EU) with the files of Steve. The ROM-flashing was allready successful, but the Kernel-flashing doesn't work by using the ODIN 1.85. Altough i used the flashing-guide by stryfewalker, but after the first run with ODIN and the Kernel the player went into a reboot-loop. After that i'd tried it with SGS Kernel Flasher from the Android Market, it seems that it work, but I have no change in my system control (altough I get a blue StevesKernelBoot-logo). So the result is, that I have no access to Voodoo Control. How can I flash the Kernel right? What did I wrong?
Here my dates:
Firmware-Version: 2.3.6
Kernel-Version: 2.6.35.7-G1xxkpn-cl562447
Buildnumber: GINGERBREAD.xxkpq

Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Are you using Voodoo sound ?
Yes I did and because of this issue, I came back to the original firmware.
But the result is the same...

Last edited by poka; 02-27-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:38 AM

after playing with Klin's Klassic 2.3.6 ROM for Galaxy player 4.0 USA + INTL I decided to try a little experiment, Klin said the only differences are in the kernel and that the rest of the ROM is interchangeable so I just flashed (using Odin 1.85) SteveS EU ROM (yes you heard me right) to my US player and as expected everything worked but the Home button I then put it in download mode and flashed the US 2.1 SteveS kernel and after reboot, boom capacitive home button WORKS. I still want to play with this for a few days to see if any bugs come up, but wanted you all to know about this.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZone View Post
I tried to flash my SGP YP-G1 (EU) with the files of Steve. The ROM-flashing was allready successful, but the Kernel-flashing doesn't work by using the ODIN 1.85. Altough i used the flashing-guide by stryfewalker, but after the first run with ODIN and the Kernel the player went into a reboot-loop. After that i'd tried it with SGS Kernel Flasher from the Android Market, it seems that it work, but I have no change in my system control (altough I get a blue StevesKernelBoot-logo). So the result is, that I have no access to Voodoo Control. How can I flash the Kernel right? What did I wrong?
Here my dates:
Firmware-Version: 2.3.6
Kernel-Version: 2.6.35.7-G1xxkpn-cl562447
Buildnumber: GINGERBREAD.xxkpq
You're not supposed to have any change in your system control. To mess with Voodoo you have to install the Voodoo Control app.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
after playing with Klin's Klassic 2.3.6 ROM for Galaxy player 4.0 USA + INTL I decided to try a little experiment, Klin said the only differences are in the kernel and that the rest of the ROM is interchangeable so I just flashed (using Odin 1.85) SteveS EU ROM (yes you heard me right) to my US player and as expected everything worked but the Home button I then put it in download mode and flashed the US 2.1 SteveS kernel and after reboot, boom capacitive home button WORKS. I still want to play with this for a few days to see if any bugs come up, but wanted you all to know about this.

That sounds awesome ! I hope to try it out myself too, soon. I doubt that there will be many bugs, because other than the capacitive button on the US version, I don't think there is a difference. If all works well, Steve can say that this ROM is works on the US version too.