android
Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 PM

Default boot time, file merging with SD card

1. Does Fuze boot time slow down with SD card, by how much?

2. Does albums on the card exist in a separate folder? I browse music through the "Album" folder, are albums from both the internal and external card listed under the same "Album" folder?

3. Does Rockbox improve sq without eq turned on? Does Rockbox improve battery life?

4. Does it matter the Fuze I buy has v1 or v2 firmware. I can install whatever version I want to myself, right?

5. Please suggest some SD card (16gb/32gb) cheap and suitable to Fuze.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

0. The following answers are for the original Fuze, NOT necessarily for the Fuze+ (or Fuze Plus).

1. Not appreciably, unless the database needs to be refreshed.

2. Yes (folder view). Yes (database view), but only if the mp3 tags are correct. Two different ways to browse.

3. I don't know.

4. No, it doesn't matter unless there is a difference for Rockbox. V1 and V2 are different hardware. You install firmware that is specific to the hardware.

5. Pretty much any microSDHC card.

Steve

Old 12-10-2011, 04:39 AM
Administrator

The sound quality on the Fuze in Rockbox is the same without the equalizer on. Battery life is somewhat better with the V2, worse with the V1. You can take a look at the SansaRuntime page for battery benchmark results others have posted. You can take a look at the Rockbox AMS Port page for more information.

Personally I'd say get a V2 if you have a choice. The sound quality is the same but according to saratoga, a Rockbox developer and mod here, other parts of the hardware are better on the V2. The response time in the Sansa menus is fractionally better and the video performance is much better. In Rockbox both are so fast in the menus I can't say I've noticed a difference. If you've checked the runtime page you'll see battery life is much better on the V2 in Rockbox.

The one drawback on the V2 is that USB support is disabled in Rockbox. You have to use the Sansa firmware to transfer files. That causes the database to refresh. There's ways to reduce the data base refresh time but at best it's still several minutes.

If you do use Rockbox there's a way to fill the internal memory so the database doesn't refresh. Some people don't like that method because that essentially make the internal memory static. I just put my absolute favorites on the internal memory and use the card to rotate other songs for variety.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was looking at Sandisc 32gb class4 ($35) or Transcend 32GB class10 ($39), which one do you suggest? considering Sandisc seems to have much better quality than other brands but Transcend is class10 though class4 seems to be enough

Old 12-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Administrator

I shop warranty and price for cards I intend to use in a DAP. I haven't seen any performance improvements with cards higher than class 4 in my Fuze. I've found higher class rating makes a significant difference in how quickly I can take shots with a digital camera and just about none in a player.

If you will be using a card reader to load the card it will load quicker with a higher class rating. If you'll be loading the card while it's in the player you shouldn't see a difference. Everything that happens on the player is slower than the internal speed of the card so you won't see any difference when you're using it to play music or move through the menus.