android
Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Default Best apps for SGP 4.0-5.0

Maybe make this a sticky? Many apps that are more "phone" based don't work, and a lot are more optimized for tablets. Which are optimized for these screens? What are your favorites?

My favorite Launcher is "GO Launcher EX". It's does not appear to be Market supported yet, you need to download from dev site: http://golauncher.goforandroid.com/2...er-v2-68-beta/

I like the default calendar, but added http://www.appbrain.com/app/smooth-c...droid.calendar

http://www.appbrain.com/app/powertut...ich.PowerTutor is great for seeing what's killing your battery. I have Widgetsoid2 brightness widget set to 20%-35%-60%, LCD current draw at these settings goes from 400mW to 500mW to 650mW, the biggest drain if you're not doing much.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/quickpic...ensw.PicFolder runs much faster than default gallery and has so many more options.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/boat-bro...boatgo.browser was my favorite on my phone and looks good on my 5.0, but I need to go back and try others. With this huge screen there may be better options.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/multipic...r.multipicture works well. Very nice to have individual wallpaper on each screen.

What's a good RSS reader app? With my phone I just used Google Reader since I had connection 100%, but need one that stores to SD well. Pulse? Feedly? Suggestions welcome.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try PowerAMP, as it opens the sq & volume up on the SGP 5.0.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 PM

Wikidroyd is a great app. You can download the entire Wikipedia database, and read the articles without an internet connection.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:03 AM

Great idea :

1 - PushDoc : transfer files and folders over wifi i prefer pushdoc because you can drag and drop folders (edit : i now use SAMBA FILESHARING app, it works great).

2 - Go launcher EX : just an awesome launcher (and diva theme for some more transparency)

3 - Android assistant : = swiss army knife : to uninstall/prevent app from starting and do some monitoring

4 - Swiftkey X : great keyboard

5 - PlayerPro : very good player but i needed to download CPU TUNER to avoid some stuttering when i enable BASS in the equalizer (it's a tip because it seems gingerbread doesn't handle well a lot of effects on music).

6 - Antivirus Pro : because i am paranoid

7 - AdFree : to avoid some ads

8 - Androzip : for unzipping or unraring

9 - Sygic : GPS navigation, far far far better than CoPilot (no comparison)

10 - Wireless tether : if you need to tether for any reason.

11 - Maxthon : my prefered web browser after having tested Firefox / Opera / Stock browser. I love the fullscreen thing and the gestures to navigate, and blue is beautiful.

Last edited by n3000; 12-07-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Any advice on a good weather widget?
Can anyone suggest further reading or reviews on apps for moving files over wireless? SAMBA was mentioned here. Pros/Cons? Other apps?

Old 12-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Local wireless? I just use a built in link in File Expert (or FX Explorer), just as fast as a USB connection. I'm using Weatherbug Elite (only because it was a free Amazon app once), but weather apps aren't real useful when traveling with wifi only. Browser links to Yahoo or whoever (m.wund.com) also work well. Raindar is good for radar.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:38 PM

I like using Go Weather. The app is nice and informative and the widgets looks nice.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:57 PM

A friend of mine told me about an app called "AirDroid". It's basically an app that gives you the opportunity to view and sync media from your android to your pc and vice-versa using your wi-fi connection. AirDroid gives your android an IP address that you type in your web browser and, from then, you can manage your device without connecting it to your pc directly via the USB cable. The app is free. This, Tune.In Radio, FM Twoo and PowerAmp are my favorites apps so far.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 PM

Curious if there's anything good in the "Samsung Apps" app. I'm downloading Navfree as we speak... USA maps is about halfway loaded and already at 1gb! (which it gave you the option to just pull one state!) If it's any good I'll have to uninstall my Sygic trial (which is very good).

Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstar View Post
A friend of mine told me about an app called "AirDroid". It's basically an app that gives you the opportunity to view and sync media from your android to your pc and vice-versa using your wi-fi connection. AirDroid gives your android an IP address that you type in your web browser and, from then, you can manage your device without connecting it to your pc directly via the USB cable. The app is free. This, Tune.In Radio, FM Twoo and PowerAmp are my favorites apps so far.

You should take a look at "Kies Air" on the Samsung Apps thing. I'ts pretty cool. After you start it on your SGP4 or 5, you can browse (using any browser) to your SGP4/5, and play music, etc. off of it. I thought that it was pretty neat ...

Jim

Old 12-13-2011, 03:40 AM

I went through a lot of music players and I recently found cloudskipper and it's pretty nice and intuitive (and Free!!!)
Edit: another useful app is no lock to remove the lock screen

Last edited by bbaasje; 12-15-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:36 AM

I'm going to explore Airdroid soon.

I like Wifi Analyzer for graphically illustrating various wifi points in any given area.

I'm using Advanced Apps Killer and the on-board Task Manager. Seems that they each catch some open applications but they are not addressing exactly the same apps issues. I'm still on the fence. I use them both.
I like Autodesk's Sketchbook Mobile! Very cool "photoshop lite" for drawing and working with photos. 10 cents on the market now. Well worth it.

SoundHound is interesting, if nothing more than a party conversation starter. Uses on-board mic to listen to any music source (including singing and humming!) and comes up with potential matches. Database must be quite deep because it does a good job. Free.

Those are my picks so far.

If someone has more experience with AirDroid, maybe start a new thread?

Old 12-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Launcher Pro!!!