android
Old 12-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Default SGP says sd card is blank randomly

Every once in a while my galaxy player 4 will start scanning the sd card randomly then coming to the result of blank sd card or unsupported format. This sd card has all my music and a few apps on it. Most apps are actually on the devices storage. I have to restart the device then everything goes back to normal but I would like this to stop happening because it is really annoying.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 AM

???
have you formatted the SD card on the computer or on the device itself (big difference)
which class card is it, brand, size etc?

Old 12-11-2011, 11:13 AM

its a sandisk class 4 and I just put it in the device itself and worked from there. Can't format on the computer I don't have a card reader

Old 12-11-2011, 12:47 PM

Do you have another card that you can use in the SGP, just to rule out that it has something to do with the card slot?

Last edited by Ceramic; 12-11-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:12 PM

I have one in my phone but its 4 gb and has my phone stuff on it. I tried it for a few minutes it seems to work but I would have to test longer which I can't do since my phone does not work without the card. I just moved all the apps that were installed to the sd card to the internal memory and haven't had the card blank issue all day. I will have to wait a little longer and see if that fixed it. Maybe the card is too slow to keep up with apps compared to the internal memory.

Last edited by mikee; 12-11-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:50 AM

well I don't think it's the read speed of class 4 which is the problem, I think it's the card itself.
The galaxy player isn't MicroSDHC designed, its compatible, but not designed for it (just MicroSD) so the HD isn't important. The next class would be a 10 but there would be no difference as the reader can only read as fast as it does now.
having it formatted on the device itself is good, as all your settings are optimized for the device.
It must be the card, the device works with other cards so the reader is intact.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaasje View Post
The next class would be a 10 but there would be no difference as the reader can only read as fast as it does now.
Just a small correction, the next size up is the Class 6.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:35 PM

I haven't had the issue in a few days however i have noticed that the media scanner randomly starts once in a while right after unlocking the device but doesn't come up blank. I wouldn' expect a faulty card from sandisk they make pretty good stuff. I havent tried any other cards ill probably buy a 32 gb card after christmas.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
Just a small correction, the next size up is the Class 6.
thnx for the correction, (I knew about that) however, when you go to the store, anyway where I live, they jump from 4 to 10 (why I don't know prob b'cause it's all outdated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I haven't had the issue in a few days however i have noticed that the media scanner randomly starts once in a while right after unlocking the device but doesn't come up blank. I wouldn' expect a faulty card from sandisk they make pretty good stuff. I havent tried any other cards ill probably buy a 32 gb card after christmas.
you can turn that off if you want
and use no lock to remove the unlocker
and cloudskipper for your music

Old 12-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaasje View Post
thnx for the correction, (I knew about that) however, when you go to the store, anyway where I live, they jump from 4 to 10 (why I don't know prob b'cause it's all outdated)
It's cuz Class 10 is the fastest, so it has that appeal. Class 4 is pretty much the fastest that most players read and write, so it has that appeal as pretty much the best for media players. Everything higher than Class 4 is wasted potential in most players, and those getting faster cards are either ignorant and would buy those regardless of if other options were around or want the fastest for other uses. At least, it seems that way to me.

Anyway, back to the thread. Sandisk is good, but that doesn't mean you can't have a faulty card. I've never had issues with my Sandisk card, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did. Stuff happens.

You can format the card through your player (or at least you should). I always just did mine through my Sansa e260 using Windows Explorer, right click, Format. Though, I assume you can always use things like the SD Association's formatter.

Basically, the player should act just like a card reader.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:12 PM

I basically just unboxed the card and put it straight in the player since I bought both the card and the SGP at once and it did what it had to to get the card working. I do want it to still scan when I add mew music so the player sees it

Old 12-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh, don't take my post as a "you should format it first." You shouldn't have to. I'm just saying, if you continue to have problems, a lot of time formatting helps, and just so you know, you don't have to go out and buy any card reader.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
It's cuz Class 10 is the fastest, so it has that appeal. Class 4 is pretty much the fastest that most players read and write, so it has that appeal as pretty much the best for media players. Everything higher than Class 4 is wasted potential in most players, and those getting faster cards are either ignorant and would buy those regardless of if other options were around or want the fastest for other uses. At least, it seems that way to me.
You raise a good point. I get somewhere in the neighbourhood of 12MB per sec when copying large (300MB+) files from the computer to the 8GB Class 6 micro-sd in my SGP 4 via USB. If I copy the same file to the internal SD (over the same USB connection) it tops out at about 3.5MB. Does that mean that the faster micro-sd is only useful when copying data to and from a PC?