android
Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Headphones or earbuds for 10 year old?

I ended up purchasing my Son a Sony NWZ-S545 for his 10th Birthday so now I'm after either a set of headphones or earbuds and wanted to get some advice on them as well. I have set of JVC flats which I really like but they are too big for him (he's still on the small side for his age). We also have some Sony childrens headphones but the volume on them is really, really low. I had actually picked up some Skullcandy Ink'd at a really good price but them thought that maybe some JVC Marshmallows would be better. As you can tell I'm a little confused and of course don't want to damage his hearing with earbuds but besides the kids headphones which sound awful, I don't know of any small enough headphones for him. Once again any advice is really appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"We also have some Sony childrens headphones but the volume on them is really, really low."

It is intentionally designed to be that way-90 db/mw-for safety. There are other children's headphones, such as those by Califone. The Califone 2800 is 98 db/mw though, so it doesn't provide the hearing protection that the Sony children's headphone offers. Most of the other children's headphones seem to be designed for those 6 and under.

http://www.califone.com/products/2800.php

Old 12-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Earbuds are definitely easier, that's all I ever used at that age. I think I was about 11-12 when I used my first "adult" sized headphones (Sony Walkman Ear pad style headphones), so you might be able to find something that can adjust to that size, maybe Koss Porta-Pro's?

Personally wouldn't go for IEMs, dont think the isolation is a good idea. Also don't think "kidz safe!" headphones are ideal, better to just have a serious conversation with your child about loud sound and music, and get them to do it right from the get go then to rely on some "Crank it up kid, its safe!" product. Not to mention that a 10 year old would probably take it as a serious insult if he got something meant for a child. If the child was like 2 years old- then sure I'd spring for the safe bet.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Earbuds are definitely easier, that's all I ever used at that age. I think I was about 11-12 when I used my first "adult" sized headphones (Sony Walkman Ear pad style headphones), so you might be able to find something that can adjust to that size, maybe Koss Porta-Pro's?

Personally wouldn't go for IEMs, dont think the isolation is a good idea. Also don't think "kidz safe!" headphones are ideal, better to just have a serious conversation with your child about loud sound and music, and get them to do it right from the get go then to rely on some "Crank it up kid, its safe!" product. Not to mention that a 10 year old would probably take it as a serious insult if he got something meant for a child. If the child was like 2 years old- then sure I'd spring for the safe bet.
YES. Babying your child isn't very helpful and it would be obvious if he doesn't like it either. Children should be given more responsibilities at a younger age.

Apart from that, Porta-Pro's would be a great starter headphone. They're decent for the price, they're durable and they have a long life-span - perfect for all ages. If I were you I would have bought a Sandisk Clip for the same reasons instead of the Sonys.

Recent Marshmallow models have been reported to have greater quantities of bass than before, so I wouldn't get these. I've personally listened to the Ink'd and I was shocked at how shrill the trebles were and how muddled everything was. They also don't last very long - about a month after I listened to my friend's he told me they just died on him. Above all get headphones with decent clarity. People turn up the volume way up simply because their headphones don't offer the clarity that they want at lower volumes.

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Last edited by mbamg; 12-12-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:07 PM

Heh, I remember how much I wanted Porta Pros when I was a kid, but they were just too expensive back then. Now they're like what, 1/7th of the price they were 20 years ago? Still lovely headphones for young people and for starters I think, even trendy. I think.

Ay and no earbuds. They made sense back in the day, but not today. Earbuds are the worst things for music apart from listening through a hands-free phone speaker. Rather get the kids something at least half decent so they have some taste in products.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Portapros are expensive! $40 for that? No thank you. I like the sound of the $10 JVC HAS160 "Flats" better. The $15 Koss KTXpro1 is a decent deal though, as is the Koss KSC75 for around $15. The Sennheiser PX100 also imo sounds much better than the Portapro. I could see people loving the Portapro 20 years ago when there weren't many alternatives, but now there are so many better choices at the same price or less.

There are decent earbuds, like the Yuin ones, and the Sennheiser MX580, MX880, and MX980. I find earbuds more comfortable than IEMs, however IEMs have their place when isolation is needed. I do worry about children wearing isolating earphones though. Even adults need to be extra careful when wearing these while crossing intersections, bicycle riding, etc. I like to wear earbuds and keep the volume low when I am walking around.

I wonder how well the Sennheiser earbuds with model numbers ending with 1 will fit children. They were designed with women in mind, so they might still be too large for a child under 13 or so.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:10 AM

Have to agree with the flats have pairs for my son and Daughter and even got a pair for myself. Fantastic at 10ish a time.

Kids use them with their players and on the in car entertainment system meaning me and the wife can go back to rowing about who's player will be played through the car stereo instead of listening to the kids film sound track!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Porta Pros cost $40 in the US? Weird. Since the manufacturing was moved from US to China, the cost in EU dropped to 1/3.

Still, for children, I'd recommend bassier phones. Young people hear way too much treble, while their bass recognition is limited. So while I can't stand the sound of PPros for very long, people under 20 love the sound. When I was 10, I was all bass and couldn't stand earbuds.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Porta Pros cost $40 in the US? Weird. Since the manufacturing was moved from US to China, the cost in EU dropped to 1/3.

Still, for children, I'd recommend bassier phones. Young people hear way too much treble, while their bass recognition is limited. So while I can't stand the sound of PPros for very long, people under 20 love the sound. When I was 10, I was all bass and couldn't stand earbuds.
I'm rather surprised to hear someone say this. In my experience while people who listen to DAPs are rather accustomed to brighter sound signatures because of the stock earbuds, they wouldn't know the quality that comes from a good headphone/IEM with a bright sound signature. In comparison, it seems mainstream for those who are looking to venture beyond stock earbuds to start with headphones with more bass.

In short, young people these days hear too much bass and not enough good treble and mids.

Turn down the volume when playing music. Your ears will thank you.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbamg View Post
In my experience while people who listen to DAPs are rather accustomed to brighter sound signatures because of the stock earbuds, they wouldn't know the quality that comes from a good headphone/IEM with a bright sound signature. In comparison, it seems mainstream for those who are looking to venture beyond stock earbuds to start with headphones with more bass.
I didn't express myself precisely. What I meant is that hearing range of young people extends further into higher frequencies, i.e. people under 20 hear up to 20 kHz (unless their hearing is damaged), while sensitivity to bass is relatively lower/overshadowed. That's one reason where popularity of bassy sound comes from. The other is, of course, the terrible quality of stock earbuds.

Regardless. Whatever is the reason for bass sound preference, it's just the particular person's taste, and it's nobody else's place to dispute it.

Also, once you're accustomed to bassy sound, it's difficult to go back to shitty earbuds. So next time when shopping, the owner will be looking for higher quality sound and that's a plus too. I don't know how it's in the rest of the world, but here, in the mideastern Europe, I often meet teens on the street, listening to rap music from the phones' hands-free speaker. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to stand it before kicking someone. If those people would use at least some half-decent, bass-heavy earphones, they wouldn't be listening to that noise.