android
Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 AM

Default Availablity After Being Discontinued

Anyone know where can still get one of these in Toronto? I'm looking for one that's preferably new. I might consider getting one used. That's only if I can't find a new one. I'm also looking into online purchases. So, any suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-25-2013, 08:54 AM

Amazon has factory refurbs & used, and ebay still has some, but you haven't specified which one you are looking for, 4.0, 4.2, 5.0, Eu or USA???

Newegg also has some listed on eBay.

4.2 factory refurb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-YP-G...item460d95d5ab

5.0 factory refurb:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-YP-G...item589dc32b18

Last edited by Tabatha; 03-25-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 PM

Can British/UK versions be used in the United States? Amazon UK has some new 4.2 Galaxies for sale at a cheap price (79 British pounds), especially once VAT is removed for shipment outside the United States. I can charge it using the USB cable, and I assume plugging the USB cable into a plug-in adapter will also work. I'm just not sure what other differences there are where I should be discouraged from buying a UK player if I live in the US. I'd have to assume it would work in Canada, too, if the British standards aren't too different.

I already own a Galaxy 5.0 that I've had for about a year and a half. But I'm concerned the battery will eventually go out. The batteries for that model that I've found online are all over $80 (and the batter is hard to access), so I figure a new player, even with a smaller screen size, wouldn't be that bad of an idea to keep as a spare for the right price. The one I own was a Central American model (sold on Woot), and it hasn't been a problem to use in the United States.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:57 AM

The way VAT works here in EU, it's not automatically removed if shipping is outside the EU and Amazon UK won't do it anyway.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Anyone know where can still get one of these in Toronto?
Could you ever get one in Toronto?

Steve

Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottavio View Post
The way VAT works here in EU, it's not automatically removed if shipping is outside the EU and Amazon UK won't do it anyway.
Amazon UK does subtract the VAT for US customers. I've purchased things from them in the past, and I also put the player in the shopping cart and ran it all the way to the end screen. They took almost ten pounds off the price after subtracting the tax. The total with shipping is only $124 (shipping is about 14 US dollars). I'm tempted at that price, since it's brand new at that price and refurbished units with short warranties and scratches are the same price.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Administrator

A properly refurbished unit isn't scratched. My YP-G1 came from TigerDirect indistinguishable from new. The screen, trim and back all looked factory fresh.

You'll also want to check on that warranty coverage if you bring it into a market other than where it was intended to be sold. You may find the warranty terms to be different than what you think if you try to get service from the US service center. There's been a couple of comments recently from members that bought units intended for overseas and were told the warranty centers in the original market were the ones responsible for any service work.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 PM

As for EU units working in the US, I questioned that in another thread, because I was having a problem with the WIFI quick key not working. I found I had to reboot to get wifi working again if I used the quick key to turn it off, so I did return it for refund. I find I have better luck with factory refurbished electronics of any type, and have never needed to use a warranty service. Both Amazon and links posted earlier have the 4.2 factory refurbs available. I do have one from the Big Outlet thru Amazon that works great and did look New as also stated by skip252 above. Best of luck in your quest.