android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 02-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

PowerAmp and Rockbox are all I need.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2012, 06:21 PM

Poweramp and equalizer app stacking are all I need

Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Poweramp and equalizer app stacking are all I need
+1 Once you try these two together,there is no going back to using just one.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM

doesn't poweramp have a good equalizer built in?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 AM

yes and i use it to get excessive brightness out but the equalizer app has great virtualizer and bass boost that i layer on top of what poweramp does.I dont use the equalizer app for anything but this.Cant explain it but both together really give you a great sound you dont get if you shut off equalizer app.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Poweramp is OK, I even bought the unlocker for $5.

However since then I have noticed it uses a lot of CPU time; generally between 20% and 30% or more. Even with the equalizer off it uses at least 10% - 20%. I have also found that the stock player uses 0% CPU, and with Voodoo installed the sound is awesome already. Given the 4.0's lesser battery life, I don't use Poweramp now. Too bad I paid for it.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
yes and i use it to get excessive brightness out but the equalizer app has great virtualizer and bass boost that i layer on top of what poweramp does.I dont use the equalizer app for anything but this.Cant explain it but both together really give you a great sound you dont get if you shut off equalizer app.
What equalizer app are you guys talking about? I searched on marketplace and there are tons of them.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperP View Post
What equalizer app are you guys talking about? I searched on marketplace and there are tons of them.
https://market.android.com/details?i...VxdWFsaXplciJd

Old 02-17-2012, 02:05 AM

I officially redact my statement where I said Songbird was the best. Poweramp is where it's at. I bought it this week after being really impressed during the 2 week trial

Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 AM

Had same experience and finally deleted songbird

Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM

Has anyone done a comparison between Power Amp and Player Pro?
I read through this thread and it seems like Power Amp might be the way to go. I'm a little concerned about this volume issue. Is it still a problem or has it been fixed in an update?

Thanks all, great forum you have here.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 PM

if PowerAmp had coverflow it would be the ultimate music app, but it will always be my player of choice, because of the lockscreen, swipe controls and pause on unplug / resume on headphone plug in allows me to only need to turn the screen on if I want to skip tracks or albums as I drive.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM

Tried both and poweramp had better sound so that became my way to go.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol View Post
Has anyone done a comparison between Power Amp and Player Pro?
I read through this thread and it seems like Power Amp might be the way to go. I'm a little concerned about this volume issue. Is it still a problem or has it been fixed in an update?

Thanks all, great forum you have here.
I've been doing this. There might be a little more fidelity in PlayerPro, but I have a hard time believing it matters. They both sound pretty good.

PlayerPro is louder at a given volume setting than PowerAmp (with Direct Volume Control turned off). PowerAmp was louder (at a given setting) before I turned off DVC, but I didn't want to hear any volume spikes. For more on this, see http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=68278

PlayerPro shows almost all of my album cover art correctly with no input from me. There are a few albums that have some really strange covers, I haven't looked into this issue. Most of the time, the screen is off when I'm listening to music.

PowerAmp (once you turn on cover art) shows some of them, confuses others. I did not download cover art, maybe that would be better.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parchping View Post
I've been doing this. There might be a little more fidelity in PlayerPro, but I have a hard time believing it matters. They both sound pretty good.

PlayerPro is louder at a given volume setting than PowerAmp (with Direct Volume Control turned off). PowerAmp was louder (at a given setting) before I turned off DVC, but I didn't want to hear any volume spikes. For more on this, see http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=68278

PlayerPro shows almost all of my album cover art correctly with no input from me. There are a few albums that have some really strange covers, I haven't looked into this issue. Most of the time, the screen is off when I'm listening to music.

PowerAmp (once you turn on cover art) shows some of them, confuses others. I did not download cover art, maybe that would be better.
i use this app to get album art https://market.android.com/details?i...cnQudHJpYWwiXQ..
then just set poweramp to prefer infolder image

Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Player Pro sounds a lot more accurate to me on the low end in some cases. The song where I really noticed it was Ice Cream by Battles, and it was clear the first time I tried Power Amp (having used Player Pro first). If anyone has it, try it in both and see what you think. Pay particular attention to the end of the song. I tried two different headphones (Klipsch S4 earbuds and Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones), and the difference between them with each was obvious.

That said, the majority of songs I listen to I don't notice a difference naturally.

Also I think the Equalizer app is tied to Player Pro's equalizer because they have the same settings and you can't adjust Player Pro's internal one when Equalizer is running.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parchping View Post
Most of the time, the screen is off when I'm listening to music.
Speaking of that, I think I remember seeing mention of a player app that would allow you to skip forward or back in your playlist by double clicking the volume rockers with the screen still off. Can't remember what it was or find it now, but that would be very handy. Anybody know of a player app that gives player control beyond volume with the screen still off?

Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post
Speaking of that, I think I remember seeing mention of a player app that would allow you to skip forward or back in your playlist by double clicking the volume rockers with the screen still off. Can't remember what it was or find it now, but that would be very handy. Anybody know of a player app that gives player control beyond volume with the screen still off?
Both PlayerPro and Poweramp have it. You can set next/back to "Long press" of the volume buttons or to "double/triple press". In PlayerPro, there's a setting to have just shaking the phone play the next song.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 PM

Thanks Woer. Unfortunately, I am very fond of free Apps. Anybody know of any freebie Apps have these features?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm having a little issue with Cubed. Since this morning, the only thing it identifies is something called "assets" and doesn't play. Anyone have a clue? I have tried wiping the cache using Titanium Backup, uninstalling, reinstalling, all to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? Rockbox detects the music, the stock player just crashes...