android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 03-02-2012, 05:59 AM

I now use PlayerPro and Audio FX widget alongside Voodoo Sound and the sound quality is sublime. It's like listening to music on my Hi-Fi and the SQ is up there with my Sony X1060 and Cowon J3. I only use Audio FX widget for the virtualizer.

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 AM

PowerAmp full version is on sale right now for $1.99 for 48hrs for anyone interested. Got mine.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Thanks! The second app I've purchased (in 1.5 years on Android). 1st was GrooveIP for $1.99 at Amazon a year ago, and now this! My other 150 free apps are great without having to pay.

edit: Sound is great... UI not so much. Widgets are bad compared to Cubed. I find the Play buttons way to large (and not real crisp looking). Too much info on the widget. Sound is what counts though! I'll probably keep both on my SGP5...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol View Post
PowerAmp full version is on sale right now for $1.99 for 48hrs for anyone interested. Got mine.

Last edited by tcat; 03-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
edit: Sound is great... UI not so much. Widgets are bad compared to Cubed. I find the Play buttons way to large (and not real crisp looking). Too much info on the widget. Sound is what counts though! I'll probably keep both on my SGP5...
I've come to the same conclusion. I think I'll be keeping both if I can get Cubed to work again. Interestingly enough, Poweramp works despite my current situation...

Old 03-04-2012, 02:37 PM

Cubed seems to use the internal media player for some things. I had an album art issue a while back and had a hard time figuring out what the problem was. I ended up deleting folders in android/data/com.android.providers.media/albumthumbs and once I directed Cubed to directory filter/external/ext_sd only, art seemed to be OK after that. If you uninstalled Cubed, be sure to get rid of the rockon folder too. Just wish PA would work on the UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
I'm having a little issue with Cubed. Since this morning, the only thing it identifies is something called "assets" and doesn't play. Anyone have a clue? I have tried wiping the cache using Titanium Backup, uninstalling, reinstalling, all to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? Rockbox detects the music, the stock player just crashes...

Old 03-04-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woer View Post
Both PlayerPro and Poweramp have it. You can set next/back to "Long press" of the volume buttons or to "double/triple press". In PlayerPro, there's a setting to have just shaking the phone play the next song.
Where's the option in Poweramp to set that up with the volume buttons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperP View Post
Poweramp is OK, I even bought the unlocker for $5.

However since then I have noticed it uses a lot of CPU time; generally between 20% and 30% or more. Even with the equalizer off it uses at least 10% - 20%. I have also found that the stock player uses 0% CPU, and with Voodoo installed the sound is awesome already. Given the 4.0's lesser battery life, I don't use Poweramp now. Too bad I paid for it.
I noticed this too, it's a drag but I can still get a couple of days' worth of playing out of it before I have to charge it.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM

I really like cloudskipper, its free and feature packed. The only thing I have noticed is that when I turn the eq on, the music starts to skip. This is a shame as the sound is vastly improved over the stock sound. I've emailed the developers and have not received a response back and was wondering if you guys have encountered this problem and/or know of a work around.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM

I found same issue and dumped it for poweramp.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM

poweramp does the same skip thing as cloudskipper for me it doesn't happen too often anymore though so i stick with the free cloudskipper. lately though I have been using winamp and an equalizer app just called equalizer. it seems to be quite similar to cloudskippers equalizer in sound quality and effects.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I still get the occasional skipping with PowerAMP as well,... That's a main reason I still miss my iPhone.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 AM

Does anyone know if PowerAmp has a feature to level the volume between tracks? I looked through the settings and didn't see anything.
When I play it in shuffle mode, one track is sometimes lounder than the next.
Otherwise, I'm loving PowerAmp.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 AM

I also wish they had this but i cant find any kind of volume leveler in the app

Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol View Post
Does anyone know if PowerAmp has a feature to level the volume between tracks? I looked through the settings and didn't see anything.
When I play it in shuffle mode, one track is sometimes lounder than the next.
Otherwise, I'm loving PowerAmp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
I also wish they had this but i cant find any kind of volume leveler in the app
There is.....it's called ReplayGain. You just need to have all your files properly scanned and tagged with ReplayGain first.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

PowerAMP decided to stop being able to verify its license this morning after oh, five days using it. I absolutely loved it. Well, I'll put up with this a few times (uninstall, reinstall) but any more times, I'm just gonna go back to Cubed and Rockbox and be happy.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM

I've actually been enjoying N7 the past few days. Even after buying PowerAmp, I think I like the UI and sound quality better. The UI on Cubed is still the best, but can seem to navigate better on N7, and SQ is better than Cubed IMO.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I still get the occasional skipping with PowerAMP as well,... That's a main reason I still miss my iPhone.
Changing the setting in "audio buffer size" doesn't improve the skipping?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
There is.....it's called ReplayGain. You just need to have all your files properly scanned and tagged with ReplayGain first.
So where do you find this and how do you go about it?All my music is already in my 5.0.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM

Are there any free music players that allow folder browsing? I'm shocked that the built-in music player doesn't (it's the first mp3 player/PMP I've ever owned that doesn't) allow this. Winamp's Pro version, $4.99, uses this as a selling point. Really? I'm supposed to pay $5 to use the folders that I've already taken the time to set up and add to the player?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM

The "N7" I mentioned does folder browsing.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 PM

Apologies for reviving a slightly old thread, but I just recently downloaded Cubed player on my new-ish Sony F806, and holy crap it's sonically heads and shoulders above anything I've tried. That includes Neutron, PlayerPro, Poweramp, Winamp, and even Sony's stock player which some users say sounds the cleanest of anything.

The Cubed player is noticeably more open and spacious sounding, with great detail. It's just excellent, and really furthers the enjoyment I'm getting with my F806 and Fitear TG!334 iem's.

I'm finding the features a bit limited though, with no ability to manually scan through a track, let alone even displaying the track time, or elapsed time.

But because of being so impressed by the sound, I emailed the developer to ask about any future feature development... Unfortunately he got back and said that any work on it has been on hold for a while, with no plans to pick it back up. But he was glad to hear I'm enjoying the sound so much.