android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Marketplace > Deals

Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

All I know is I love the sq of these things, and they sound great with any player I have. The Pro700mk2's are slightly more picky, and they HATE my iPods - even the Rockboxed ones. I do like the ATH's, but I wish they were a more universal fit - like the CHP-2500's.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
All I know is I love the sq of these things, and they sound great with any player I have. The Pro700mk2's are slightly more picky, and they HATE my iPods - even the Rockboxed ones. I do like the ATH's, but I wish they were a more universal fit - like the CHP-2500's.
The best part about the CHP-2500 is they're only $25.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Trade you my blue JVC's for them! Devil1.gif

Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Trade you my blue JVC's for them! Attachment 11482
Don't make me have to kill you Marv,...

Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
The best part about the CHP-2500 is they're only $25.
Yup. I try not to compare headphones to other headphones too much, its very hard to do. But I can easily say that these are well worth the $25 investment.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
M50 doesn't have as much bass, but they're much more composed, especially in the higher volumes. And they actually have some mids, the 2500's don't seem to have much, and the highs on the 2500's are very very sharp. Though I still need to give mine some burn in time.
Is it at high volumes you feel highs are very sharp? I don't feel it. I use around 75% of volume and i found highs much controlled. Not something that gives fatigue after sometime. i have around 5 hours on headphones and i haven't burn it.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Redneck Moderator

Well at high volumes then the lows turn to utter crap and the entire frequency response begins to distort horribly. The highs fatigue me through all volumes. But this is right out of the box, I have not burned them in yet.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Well at high volumes then the lows turn to utter crap and the entire frequency response begins to distort horribly. The highs fatigue me through all volumes. But this is right out of the box, I have not burned them in yet.
The sound became much smoother and control after burn-in for me.

BTW, I think I'm going to order the $30 Panasonic RP-HTF600-S soon. Users on Head-Fi are comparing them to the HD650 and claiming that they are bass monster. One person said they're better than the MK2 even.

This should be a nice competitor to the CHP-2500.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Redneck Moderator

From the simple pictures on amazon the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S look much higher build quality over the 2500's. I'll leave my 2500's burning in with music. Give them a few days then I'll listen to them again.

I'm looking for some cheap headphones that I can mod to my custom 'hard hat' which I plan on building with fiber glass. I am a construction worker and I would use these daily at work in extreme environments. This is a work in progress and so far its just into the design phase but will be quickly stepping to the next step. Part of the design is finding some good sounding drivers.

Ruger M77 , Howa 1500 , Czech Republic 452-2E
Ruger .22 Single Six, Springfield Armory XD-9 , Springfield Armory XD45ACP
2007 Elite Archery Synergy

Gamo CFX, Gamo PT80
Large Rock

Need your headphones fixed or something soldered? Syndrome's Soldering Service

Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a pair of the Pannys as well. I like the Cortex better. The only thing I like about the Panny is the earcups are bigger and the headband is closer to your head so they dont looks as stupid. The cable is asininely long. I also don't get the bass monster performance from them. I relegated them to TV watching. I don't think I would call the build quality "much better". maybe marginally better. The thread starter over at head-fi is crazy with the hyperbole and neglects to mention any of the cns of his items. I have bought the Panny and a pair of Philips she3580 IEMs just to get my impressions and compare them to his. I would say scale it back about 40% from what he claims and you have a good idea of how they really are. As for all of the other responders...Head-fi is notorious for FOTM hype. With all that said I think the Panny is worth $30 but if you want bass monster spend the extra $20 on a pair of xb500. No comparison, Sony kills it. IMHO the Cortex beats it too. Now if I could put the oblong cups of the Panny on the Cortex I would be thrilled...oh wait...then they would be the Monoprice DJ cans

Aimran, by all means, get them and give your feedback. I am curious too. I did buy mine second hand. maybe somebody swapped the drivers or did something else to them to taint the sound. It should be noted that I am not the only one that holds this opinion if you read through that whole thread. any detractors get dismissed though so I didnt even bother to post in it much.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I might give it a try for the heck of it. I needed a cheap light headphone, but the CHP-2500 was too heavy and much bigger than I thought as it turned out. I am still thrill at the SQ of the Cortex though. Reading through the thread about the Panny, it sounds like it lacks highs, something the Cortex has.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

the panny is a bit more trim fitting and looks better on the head. Functionally I like cans that fold but they almost all look dumb on your head.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
Head-fi is notorious for FOTM hype.
I think I'm not going to buy the Panasonic because I bought the Thermaltake Isurus because it is the FOTM over there, and while is a nice IEM, I just compare to my Altec Lasing UPH606 (rebranded SuperFi 4), the Isurus got destroyed in every aspects. So I think I'm not going buy into the FOTM anymore.

I think it comes down to if you are already happy with the SQ of your headphone, you are more likely end up disappointed when you get a new headphone.

EDIT: It is worth noting I only have about 40 hours of burn-in on the Isurus though.

Last edited by aimran; 01-13-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Since I had them sitting here I decided to try swapping the earpads of the panny onto the cortex. They fit but loosely. About what I expected. The panny is slightly oblong so it goes around my ear better. Also interchangeable with the popular Beyer velours. I am going to use the panny pads for a while and if they work out I will order some of the nicer velours.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

HTTP://WWW.nuclearfuzz.com/idvsego/p...rtex/comp2.jpg

Old 01-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Do the Bayer velours fit correctly, or are they loose/bigger?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I am assuming they are a bit bigger since reports are that they fit the panny perfectly. I listened to the cortex with the panny pads for about 45 minutes last night with no issues though.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You guys should try the angled drivers mod. It's a simple mod and will work with any earpads. Basically what you do is stuff foam or anything under the rear side of the earpads (the side facing toward the back of your head). The logic behind this is this will angle the drivers more toward the natural position of your ears.

The result is wider soundstage and overall SQ. I've tried this on the CHP-2500, and the soundstage, mids, and even lows improve.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Administrator

I've tried different ways to raise the pads on headphones and what works really well is using different thicknesses and placements of electrical cable. I started using cable after seeing how dfkt did it here. I've tried different thicknesses of junk cable I had laying around and have experimented some with a few headphones with various levels of improvement...or not.

Using the cable gives me a consistent thickness that doesn't squash down over time. I learned the hard way to cover the sharp ends left from cutting when I nicked a pad on some cheap 'phones I was playing around with. Other than that I haven't had any downside to using cable.

I found that I mostly get comfort rather than sound improvements. It did open out some very closed sounding Senn HD 280 and made them much more comfortable. Not a night and day difference but enough to make the 10 minutes I spent doing it worthwhile.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't think this mod works well for headphones with cups that cannot rotate. It probably add more discomfort for those headphones.