android
Old 12-16-2011, 10:15 AM

Default Anyone using a Kindle reader to get Kindle Library Books?

Our local library is offering Kindle books.
Anyone use the Kindle app or other kindle reader apps on the 4.0 or 5.0?
The Kindle App on the market has bad reviews for being an enormous file size on the RAM and the app cannot be deleted!
Ideas? Thoughts?
Thanks...and Seasons greetings to the ABI community!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 AM

I don't read much, but using the Kindle app. Downloaded a few free books and works well. Haven't tried the local library thing. App size really doesn't matter much on these things, 1.5gb space! I have Sygic and Navfree on my 5.0 and I still have 1gb left.... but they do take 1 gb of my spare memory, will be uninstalling Sygic.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A package called Calibre can convert between eBook formats as long as there is no DRM. I have only used to read a couple of eBooks on my PC, but it is highly recommended.

Steve

Old 12-16-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Our local library is offering Kindle books.
Anyone use the Kindle app or other kindle reader apps on the 4.0 or 5.0?
The Kindle App on the market has bad reviews for being an enormous file size on the RAM and the app cannot be deleted!
Ideas? Thoughts?
I can't speak to other platforms but with my SGP 4.0 I've been able to install, uninstall and update the Kindle app.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:06 PM

Update:
I have found the Kindle app works fine, for the usual Kindle books.
For library ebooks, here's what I found:

If your local library has ebooks, they should have instructions for how their system works to get ebooks onto your mobile.
For my library, and others, the key is to download an app called OverDrive (from the market). This lets you actually download books from your local library. (You can't get the books directly from the library's website)

When you get into registering with OverDrive, you are going to need to go out at some point in the process and get an Adobe account, register there, and come back to OverDrive with that username (email) and password. Then complete the OverDrive registration. It's a bit weird and convoluted.

Then...go to your library's online site for ebooks, browse and add books to cart. Checkout your selected books. (nothing happens yet), they effectively go onto a shelf in back of the librarian's circulation desk...you don't get them yet.)

Once you do that, you can go into the OverDrive app, find your local library (and others) on the list, see the books that have been made available by you for download...select them and download them. Now they are on the device, in an OverDrive folder.

Open OverDrive app, find the books, touch the one you want and begin viewing.

The libraries typicaly have a termination date for the "lend" and the book will automatically expire on that day. No need to check the book back in to avoid late fees. Of course, if you decide you don't like the book or do not have time to read it, you can go to your library's website and check the book back in so that someone else can get it. (since they have a limited quantity of "copies" or licenses of the book to lend.)

Viewing on the 5" screen is surprisingly good. Once you figure out the process it works really well. No one at my actual brick and mortar library really knew how to do this so I had to figure it out for myself, more or less. Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:57 PM

Any other good ebook apps that will work with Kindle/mobi files?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 AM

Update:
I also got instructions from my local library on how to make Kindle itself work for library loans...and it does. So now I have OverDrive AND Kindle running. Very cool. At this point my local library (where I am a member) has maybe a hundred books or so. I'm sure if I join another area library and pay an annual membership that I would get access to another library full of free downloads.
Good to have libraries especially when times are tight.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
Any other good ebook apps that will work with Kindle/mobi files?
Why not dl the Kindle app onto your SGP and use that?