android
Old 12-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

The silent track rules out hardware noises like the internal memory or sd card. I also thought maybe it was something like missing samples that caused very short drop outs in the audio, but that would probably depend on the loudness of tracks. So i'm not sure what the issue could be.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 PM

What most bother me is the fact that nobody else is having this problem and as with original firmware sounds ok, I cannot RMA it to Sansa.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:31 AM

I wanted to tell you that I've tested some of my clicking files in a rockboxed Clip+ with my earphones and they sound great.

I've also formatted my Zip, put the original firmware, rockboxed it again but there's no way... I continue hearing clicks on right channel... So it seems my Zip has something that Rockbox don't like.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Are any of the tracks ripped directly off the CD? Any other encoder or frontend used? CDex, Lamedrop, EAC, iTunes (gasp)? VBR vs. CBR?

Old 01-02-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelugil View Post
I wanted to tell you that I've tested some of my clicking files in a rockboxed Clip+ with my earphones and they sound great.

I've also formatted my Zip, put the original firmware, rockboxed it again but there's no way... I continue hearing clicks on right channel... So it seems my Zip has something that Rockbox don't like.
Long shot, but see if this patched build works any better:

http://duke.edu/~mgg6/rockbox/rockbox-zip-fs12452.7z

Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRockbox View Post
Are any of the tracks ripped directly off the CD? Any other encoder or frontend used? CDex, Lamedrop, EAC, iTunes (gasp)? VBR vs. CBR?
Yes, I've tried different encoders and they suffer the same problem (remember those files play fine on a Clip+ with the same earphones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Long shot, but see if this patched build works any better:

http://duke.edu/~mgg6/rockbox/rockbox-zip-fs12452.7z
Lots of thanks saratoga, I don't know what you've changed, but yes clicks are now fewer (for example in the test files I've uploaded, the first click has disappeared).

EDIT #1: Maybe it's due to some audio settings I've changed, but now all the "original" clicks are back.
EDIT #2: I've tested with "channel config" and even if I swap channels (with dfkt's patched build) or if I only select mono left the clicks still occur on right channel (it may be interesting to say that enabling karaoke eliminates clicks)

Last edited by pepelugil; 01-03-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 AM

Another thing I've detected: If I increase equalizer's precut (lower dBs from 0 to -24) the clicks are more audible (higher volume) with regard to the track sound that if I set equalizer's precut to 0 and decrease Zip's volume.

That is, the clicks could come from the last amplification phase (their volume only seem to be affected by Zip's volume but not by previous precuts or amplifications)

Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
That is, the clicks could come from the last amplification phase (their volume only seem to be affected by Zip's volume but not by previous precuts or amplifications)
This version cuts the mixer power a bit, so it'll be a little quieter, but if theres some problem with the amplifier maybe it'll work around it:

http://duke.edu/~mgg6/rockbox/rockbox-zip_mixervol.7z

Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
This version cuts the mixer power a bit, so it'll be a little quieter, but if theres some problem with the amplifier maybe it'll work around it:

http://duke.edu/~mgg6/rockbox/rockbox-zip_mixervol.7z
Lots of thanks for all your help!!

I see that with this version, volume is limited to -18dB (I don't know if it changes anything else), what I would like to know is if there's any way to change equalizer precut range from it's actual 0 to -24dB to something like +12 to -12dB so I could "amplify" previously to equalizing in order to get the same volume without increasing Zip's volume.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I see that with this version, volume is limited to -18dB (I don't know if it changes anything else),
I only reduced it 5dB.

Quote:
what I would like to know is if there's any way to change equalizer precut range from it's actual 0 to -24dB to something like +12 to -12dB so I could "amplify" previously to equalizing in order to get the same volume without increasing Zip's volume.
You can't compensate for lower amplifier gain by increasing the digital gain. It'll just distort since the digital gain is usually at max anyway.

Edit: if reducing the mixer power doesn't help with the problem, don't bother using this build.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I only reduced it 5dB.
I don't know why, but I cannot go any higher than -18dB.

Quote:
You can't compensate for lower amplifier gain by increasing the digital gain. It'll just distort since the digital gain is usually at max anyway.

Edit: if reducing the mixer power doesn't help with the problem, don't bother using this build.
Thanks for your explanation and your efforts, and sorry, but no, it doesn't help

Old 01-04-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I don't know why, but I cannot go any higher than -18dB.
I must have left another patch in my local check out by mistake. Together I guess it'd really be 24 db reduction. If that big a cap doesn't make any difference, then I have no idea. Theres a lot of things that can be tweaked in the DAC settings, but without knowing what the exact problem is its a needle in a hay stack.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
I must have left another patch in my local check out by mistake. Together I guess it'd really be 24 db reduction. If that big a cap doesn't make any difference, then I have no idea. Theres a lot of things that can be tweaked in the DAC settings, but without knowing what the exact problem is its a needle in a hay stack.
Ok, thank you any way.

Maybe someday a more experienced user will buy a Zip with the same problem as mine, and he'll be able to help you locate the problem.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 AM

I just wanted to say that after using Rockbox Utility 1.2.12 with my Zip those "clicks" seemed to disappear (maybe my mind fooled me, but I could still hear some of them from time to time, but fewer and much more subtle than before).

But after applying some custom themes (now WPS screen isn't changed and I always get default Rockbox screen), those nasty clicks became more frequent and louder again.