android
Old 12-20-2011, 12:12 PM

Default Are there different versions of the Galaxy Player 4.0?

Hi,

I'm looking for the Galaxy Player with a 4" (800x400) screen and WiFi.

I've come across a lot of different versions, and I can't really sort them out. The product code usually starts with YP-G**.

Does anyone know which is the *best*, in terms of not having it's volume limited, or having the highest capacity?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM

well there are 3 that i'm aware of, the US version, the EU (international) version, and the Korean version. if you can get the EU version you can install the Steve's Custom Kernel which opens the device to be capable of running the Voodoo Control app which will give you the max volume possible, I believe one variant of the Korean version comes in a 16 GB so that would be the highest internal capacity but they all have microSD card slots that support cards up to 32 GB, so the total internal isn't that big a deal.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 AM

Okay, so let me get this straight....

1) US - baseline model
2) Korean - US model with 16 GB internally
3) European - US model with limited volume, but can be bypassed with Steve's Custom Kernel

So if I'm not wrong, objectively speaking, the Korean Model would be the one to get.

Is that right? Any downsides to it? And if not, does anyone know the exact model number?

Thanks again.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdedo View Post
Okay, so let me get this straight....

1) US - baseline model
2) Korean - US model with 16 GB internally
3) European - US model with limited volume, but can be bypassed with Steve's Custom Kernel

So if I'm not wrong, objectively speaking, the Korean Model would be the one to get.

Is that right? Any downsides to it? And if not, does anyone know the exact model number?

Thanks again.
Well, are you sure about limitation volume in EU models with Galaxys?

It exists a 16Gb EU model too, and EU can't be a US model with limitation volume because US doesn't have physical button.

In my opinion, as we said before, we should know if the are real (inside) differences with the EU model (nearly a year old) and the same US model (without physical button)

Last edited by dacari; 12-21-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 PM

There are major differences with the Korean model, they have several things that are only available in korean release models, and there are at least a few differences between US and Eu, the most notable of which is the EU has a physical home button instead of a capacitive touch button and it runs on 2.3.6 instead of 2.3.5 like the US they all use the same audio hardware (same as most of the galaxy S phones), and with the use of Steve's custom kernel (which is based on 2.3.6 android) you are able to install and run the voodoo control app (check the android market description for all it can do) to boost volume levels, the voodoo control app is not supported in the 2.3.5 kernel at the moment (you need custom kernel for it to run).

As for which is best it depends on if your looking for the most built-in stuff (korean model) or the off the bat ability to install a custom kernel and roms (EU model) so you can use voodoo to boost the volume higher then the others are capable of. to me internal capacity is less of a deciding factor since they all have microSDHC slots to support 32GB cards.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:38 AM

Hi Daniel644,

Internal Capacity is "THE" deciding factor for me, followed by "STUFF".

This might sound a bit naive but ->

1) Is the Korean Model display in English?
2) Can you easily download updates and manuals in English?
3) Can things like Android be updated from 2.2.2 to 2.3.6? Or are you stuck with the same OS version forever?
4) Are there any "disadvantages" to buying the Korean Model?

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:27 PM

1. well it runs android so if its not set to english you just need to change the language in the language settings.
2. the only "updates" are versions of android, as for manuals there really unnecessary I never opened mine up.
3. Any new one unless its been sitting on the vendors shelf should be on Gingerbread by now, we are all still waiting to see if samsung will update us to ICS but based on there track record its unlikely.
4. Finding a way to get the korean model would be one also with current exchange rates (based on the original list price when it first went on sale, only price I could find) the 16 GB is approx. 399 dollars US which is nearly double the price of the US 8 GB version.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:20 PM

So basically you can not update android yourself, but you need to wait for Samsung to release an update. That sucks....

From what I can tell, the Korean Model is still being sold (and advertised on Sumsung Korea) with Froyo.

Does Froyo, Gingerbread, or ICS make a huge difference on an MP3 players? Should it be something to consider?

Old 12-23-2011, 05:19 PM

All devices have to have the drivers for it programmed into the core android system, if its a popular enough device some developers with port it to the device. as for the mp3 side of things, you would most definitely want to invest in an app called PowerAMP (i would say it boosts the top volume by about 5-10%, and has the option in the repeat settings to have it so when one album finishes the next album, alphabetically, starts automattically, also you can swipe left to right to change tracks and up and down to switch albums), most apps only require 2.1+ versions of android, so you just need to check that the amp you intend to use as your mp3 player is compatible with atleast froyo.