android
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 PM

Perhaps I should clarify...

Higher number class cards mean faster data transfer. Without actually measuring the read/write speed of the SD card, we can only say generally that the card is functioning as expected, reading and writing data.
A class 10 card should read/write considerably faster than a class 2 card. Class 2 cards have generally been found not to be fast enough to reliably do HD video. Class 4 cards might be fast enough for HD video in some devices, but most HD video devices seem to achieve their best results with at least class 6 cards. Up until recently a number of 'no-name' branded cards labeled as 'class 10' or even 'class 6', when measured for read/write speed, were found to be unreliable for the speeds for which they had been allegedly classed. In other words, false advertising was happening.

So you may be happy with your SD card for its capacity, but could be unaware of whether what you bought is what you actually paid for.

In order to satisfy for yourself whether your card is reading/writing at the speed for which it was classified, you can download a free, open-source application (in windows, anyway) called CrystalDiskMark that will test your SD card's true read and write speeds.

http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...k/index-e.html

That said, if you are satisfied with your SD card's performance, it really doesn't matter what the tests say, eh?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2012, 07:16 AM

I just want to add that any testing should be done with a card reader to get accurate results and not in a device like the SGP. A device can have a lower read/write speed than the card and it will affect the results of the speed test. Also, something to keep in mind when buying a card is to look for the SD Association's logo. Manufacturers that put that on the card will adhere to the SD Association's guidelines of minimum speeds for the different classes of cards.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I'm in the USA, and that's a great deal. Me, I'm gonna test a 64gb micro sd card in mine soon -I hear it works excellently.
Have you had the opportunity to try the 64gb card yet? I would suspect that it won't work due to addressing the one extra bit in going from 32gb to 64gb (35bits vs 36bits). It probably would be able to read/write the 64gb as a 32gb, but not use the upper (or lower if reading top down) half.

Anyhow, just curious if anyone popped a 64 in one and what did they (it) see?

George

Old 01-31-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeP1111 View Post
Anyhow, just curious if anyone popped a 64 in one and what did they (it) see?

George
I'm curious too. If it works, then how much memory space is there? A 32gb card will have 29gb, so does the 64gb one have 58gb?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post

Higher number class cards mean faster data transfer. Without actually measuring the read/write speed of the SD card, we can only say generally that the card is functioning as expected, reading and writing data.
The Class speed ratings on SD cards primarily relates to minimum write speeds. A card may attain higher sustained write speeds than it is rated for but it should should not go lower.

Quote:
Class 4 cards might be fast enough for HD video in some devices, but most HD video devices seem to achieve their best results with at least class 6 cards.
Generally speaking, yes but to put things in the proper context, there is no function on an SGP (at least the US and Intl. models) that comes close to needing a write speed of 6MB per second. Even if just for playback, you are generally looking at fairly low bitrates because of modern video codecs. You can of course benefit from a higher spec'd card when transferring files between device and PC but that is about it.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Here are my results. I don't think the application is open source though, because it installed a strange extension to Google Chrome, and I don't remember it asking me if I wanted to in the installation.
Attached Images
File Type: png SD_benchmark.PNG (31.5 KB, 16 views)

Old 02-02-2012, 01:52 PM

How long did the test take to finish? Was it quick?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 PM

I wasn't aware of the time, but it was pretty slow. I used the default setting and it took me (I'm guesstimating) around 10 minutes for the full test. It probably takes longer than that, though.

Last edited by gupti; 02-02-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic View Post
I'm curious too. If it works, then how much memory space is there? A 32gb card will have 29gb, so does the 64gb one have 58gb?
Approx. 59.4GB would be correct because a 320GB hard drive is really 297GB would mean 32 would be 29.7 and multiply by 2 for doubling card size.

Most forums report that the trick to get the 64GB cards to read is to put them in the device then have the player reformat the card the reason very few have tried it though is that currently the 64GB cards are 4-5 times the cost of a single 32GB class 4, so is having the capacity all in one card really worth more then twice the cost of 2 32GB ones?

just checked prices 157 for sandisk 64GB vs 30 for sandisk 32GB class 4, so yeah 5 times the price.

Last edited by Daniel644; 02-03-2012 at 04:51 AM.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:21 AM

It's too expensive now, but it could be that by the end of the year, they'll be under $100. (maybe wishful thinking?) If I recall correctly, the 32gb card was $200 when it first came out and then took about a year to get under $100.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:21 AM

Huh... Memory that costs almost as much as the device... There's dedication - or addiction, one.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupti View Post
Here are my results. I don't think the application is open source though, because it installed a strange extension to Google Chrome, and I don't remember it asking me if I wanted to in the installation.
You can also use H2testw 1.4 to test the read/write speed AND the capacity (there is a lot of fake cards, especially on ebay).

Old 02-06-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
Most forums report that the trick to get the 64GB cards to read is to put them in the device then have the player reformat the card
You can also use windows (with special partition tools) or linux. Or windows 98... Since windows XP, microsoft imposed a 32gb limitation on fat32 partitions: it will read them, but not format them. It's not based on the fat32 limitations (which is about 2TB).

Old 02-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic View Post
It's too expensive now, but it could be that by the end of the year, they'll be under $100. (maybe wishful thinking?) If I recall correctly, the 32gb card was $200 when it first came out and then took about a year to get under $100.
Quote:
Huh... Memory that costs almost as much as the device... There's dedication - or addiction, one.
Not too long ago Worst Buy had a sale on a 64gb micro SDXC card for $99, and I missed getting one. Even at that price it's a little too expensive, but I wanted it. I really hope the pricing drops soon, I'm getting antsy,...

Old 02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just settled for another class 4 32GB.....arrived today, so tomorrow I'll have to fill it. If I saw $99 for a 64 GB, I'd be tempted though...lol

Old 02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I just settled for another class 4 32GB.....arrived today, so tomorrow I'll have to fill it. If I saw $99 for a 64 GB, I'd be tempted though...lol
Yeah, what a bummer!!! I should have grabbed it before they sold out online. I hate the store, but currently it was a good deal.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah, what a bummer!!! I should have grabbed it before they sold out online. I hate the store, but currently it was a good deal.
For the most part, I can carry enough music on a 32GB card, but a 64 would be nice for the SGP so you had room for videos....I've got less than 10GB of tunes now on the card in my 5.0, but a whole lot of videos.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
For the most part, I can carry enough music on a 32GB card, but a 64 would be nice for the SGP so you had room for videos....I've got less than 10GB of tunes now on the card in my 5.0, but a whole lot of videos.
I have over 300gb of mp3's bro, so I WANT capacity. I mean, maybe 100gb belongs to my wife & oldest son, but that still leaves me with 200gb. I like to carry most, if not all, my tunes with me. I never know if I might feel like hearing "Fly Like An Eagle" or whatnot.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I have over 300gb of mp3's bro, so I WANT capacity. I mean, maybe 100gb belongs to my wife & oldest son, but that still leaves me with 200gb. I like to carry most, if not all, my tunes with me. I never know if I might feel like hearing "Fly Like An Eagle" or whatnot.
300gb Damn, people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I have 24gb's.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
300gb Damn, people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I have 24gb's.
Don't worry, you'll catch up!!!