android
Old 12-22-2011, 06:39 AM

Default Does powering off-on use up battery more than not?

When i dont need to use my Galaxy 5.0 for half hour or so i power off unit untill i need it again.Every night i always power off.Is this good practice or is it actually using up more battery through the power off-on process?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 AM

If you put it in airplane mode (or just turn off wifi) you're not going to use much battery. I seldom turn mine off, but make sure wifi is off when not in use. However the battery indicator does not appear to be accurate (gets "stuck" draining and charging), and I believe a power off/on resets it to semi-accurate. I think the battery is draining at a "normal" rate either way, but if you really want to know what you have left, it's a good idea to power cycle it.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:29 PM

I would say if more then an hour then shut it off, and leave it off at night even with tcat settings it still pulls about 1% every 1 or 2 hours it sits like that.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The most damage you'll do by powering off (instead or a quick tap to put it to sleep) is wear out the power button sooner. For the night hours when there is no reason to have it running, powering off is always the best strategy. Batteries have a limited number of charge cycles, and any power the tablet consumes when you're sleeping means sooner to a charge cycle.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:32 AM

I guess there isn't a "suspend" or hibernate mode...

Old 12-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Mine loses either zero or 5% in 10-12 hours overnight (why aren't there 1% increments?). I never turn it off except for a reboot. I just make sure wifi is off. Last 24 hours (never powered down):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
I would say if more then an hour then shut it off, and leave it off at night even with tcat settings it still pulls about 1% every 1 or 2 hours it sits like that.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Mine loses either zero or 5% in 10-12 hours overnight (why aren't there 1% increments?). I never turn it off except for a reboot. I just make sure wifi is off. Last 24 hours (never powered down):

get the app "Battery Booster" it will give you 1% increments and it has a settings so when you lock the screen it will automatically switch off the different radios (you can select which ones to turn off) or switch it to airplane mode when the screen is off.

Also I have the 4.0 and looking at your screenshot you have the 5.0 which has twice the battery capacity to begin with so you would appear to lose half as much as people with the 4.0