android
Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 PM

Question Apps that are not compatible???

I tried downloading an app today from Android Market and I got a message before the download that the app was not compatible with my device (new US SGP 5). Why? The requirements listed for the app are a lower system version.

Later I tried downloading another app (a newspaper app) and got the same message but then it started downloading and installed and works fine.

I have downloaded and installed several apps successfully. Why would an app be not compatible?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2011, 11:34 PM

all kinds of reasons, most the time is if the app has known compatibility issues with the hardware of the device (even if its good enough to run it doesn't mean it doesn't have a conflict with some hardware), also lots of the launchers are incompatible with these players and that may be software thing. samsung has some apps blocked (like the voodoo control app), but if you root your player and get the "applanet" (warning applanet lets you install paid version for free which is illegal and is against site rules to talk about, but it is a good workaround for the blocked apps which is why I mention it) alternative market you can try to find it there.

Last edited by Daniel644; 12-26-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 PM

Maybe there's some code in there that interacts with the specific phone features, for example. I know the Google Car Home thing isn't compatible with the SGP and I assume that's why. I guess Samsung Android products have a custom launcher, and custom music/media players instead of the Android defaults, so that might create complications.

Just a guess!

Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 AM

There are certain FM Radio apps that are tied to specific chips, so not all will work.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM

I got that message with GO Launcher at first, but once the developer added compatibility for Players, it's not good. You can usually find an .apk at the developers site (or Google search) and try it, if it's really not compatible, it won't work.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:09 AM

I have another Android device that I've used LCD Density Changer so everything will use the full 480x800 resolution (you need root for this). Many applications in the Market see this LCD pixel density and say they're not compatible with it and refuse to load.

I simply use LCD Density Changer to change it to the old value, install the app, then set it back. I've never had any problems with any application I've loaded.

The rumor I've heard is that 480x800 is a "tablet" resolution, not a "phone" resolution and some developers don't want their applications to be loaded on tablets so you have to fool it into thinking it's a phone, even if it is a phone.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:02 PM

The app that was incompatible was a game - Brothers in Arms2 - a free app that is according to the listing extremely popular. It just surprised me that such an app would be incompatible.

My SGP5 is brand new and I do not intend to root until I have had it for awhile.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
The app that was incompatible was a game - Brothers in Arms2 - a free app that is according to the listing extremely popular. It just surprised me that such an app would be incompatible.

My SGP5 is brand new and I do not intend to root until I have had it for awhile.
Gameloft, the company that makes the game, has been known to limit what they allow their games to install on through the Market. It may be less of a hardware issue and more likely due to them focussing their efforts on getting the game working on select devices. It is entirely possible that the free game apk could be sideloaded and it would work just fine but...

Old 12-27-2011, 03:51 PM

Even on their website after plugging in the Player as device, it comes back with:
Sorry, Brothers In Arms® 2: Global Front Free+ HD is not available for your phone at the moment.