android
Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Default Anyone know how to stop music player?

I can't figure out how to stop the music player other than to pause, then use "task manager" to exit program.

Is there a better way to do this?

Help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Hit Pause. You can kill it with task manager but it's not necessary.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM

Forgive me, as I am new to the android world, but will hitting pause cause player to use battery or degrade other processes because it's still technically running? Will it just drop off on its own from non-use (not hitting play for example)?

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:10 PM

Once you stop the music (pause, or exit if there is one), the app should stop using any power. The android system is smart enough to turn things on and off to maximize resources. Lots of folks believe that using task killers just increases battery drain due to apps having to restart (and many restart anyway), and the task killer app itself running...

Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Once you stop the music (pause, or exit if there is one), the app should stop using any power. The android system is smart enough to turn things on and off to maximize resources. Lots of folks believe that using task killers just increases battery drain due to apps having to restart (and many restart anyway), and the task killer app itself running...
Tcat - I just installed a task killer because I read an article that said it helps decrease battery drain. If this is not the case, then I will uninstall it. I do see that there are apps running when I look at the Task Killer list that I did not start. I very much want to conserve battery power - delete Task Killer???

Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Also remember, using the back arrow to exit programs will exit them most if the time, while pressing the home button may just put it on standby. FWIW, I use the on board task manager to kill my apps if they are using CPU. If they aren't, though, I just leave them.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM

And just because it shows up in the task killer, doesn't mean it's running. Look at the % it's currently using (not history). The built in "Task Manager" will show you what apps are actually running. "Active applications" on left top menu... you can "exit all" from there. No need for ANOTHER task killer to kill battery. Long press screen, add application "Task Manager"... I have mine in my dock. GO Launcher also has a task killer built-in.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:48 PM

A couple of questions/comments:

1 I have been running Advanced Task Killer Free as well as the stock Task Manager. Sometimes one or the other will show an app active. they don't seem to agree 100% of the time. For the most part, I think the stock Task Manager does a god job. If I don't see much advantage to Advanced Task Killer Free in the next week or two, I'll probably uninstall it.

2 It does seem odd that the music player does not actually have a STOP.

3 It would be good to see a list of active apps (such as on the Task Manager) or on the pull-down bar...and be able to hit one to open it. It feels strange, after switching to a second app, to get back to the first app by finding the icon and starting it from scratch again. (sort of like you have active applications/programs in tabs at the bottom of your Windows PC desktop. It's minimized, it's running...you just click it to get the program on full screen again.

4 Overall, I am finding the 2500 mAh battery on the 5.0 to be very capable. Takes quite a lot of use to knock it down. Even with GPS and wifi on! I'm very happy with this. Many mobile devices have serious problems with battery life and power management.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:07 PM

I don't think you need ATK, the built in one seems fine (if you have to kill something). Many apps don't have "stops", they just stop when you don't use them. Many apps START automatically, but generally they are not doing anything other than waiting for you to do something.

Long press your HOME button and your recent apps will pop up (as well as a task manager link), you can click any to start where you left off.

Battery seems good, just not real accurate at letting you know where it's at.