android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Default new fuze (open box) stiff wheel normal?

I just got a sansa fuze today and I noticed the wheel is a little stiff I can't scroll very fast. My old e260 scrolls quite fast and all the youtube videos I have seen show the fuze scrolling fast through stuff. Is it normal for it to be stiff for a while does it have to be warn in a little or is this a defect?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 PM

I have a e260 and a fuze. The fuze scroll wheel is a little easier to turn than the e260's and the fuze is less "clicky" when you scroll.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:34 PM

fixed!!! rubbing alcohol FTW! I took a q tip and dipped in in alcohol and smeared it all over the wheel and it freed right up you are now right the wheel moves much better than the e260 and whats better is I ended up fixing the problem without any further help.

thanks r605 without you telling me your fuzes wheel moved better than an e260 I would have just suffered like this thinking thats just how it is.

Edit: well It looks to only be a temporary fix then I have to unstiffen it again. I hope its not going to be like this forever.

From experience can someone tell me if these things gum up easy?

Last edited by mikee; 08-04-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:55 AM

The wheel might loosen up, but the few Fuzes I've used were not stiff at all. If you bought it from a retail/brick and mortar store I'd suggest you exchange it for a new one.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
The wheel might loosen up, but the few Fuzes I've used were not stiff at all. If you bought it from a retail/brick and mortar store I'd suggest you exchange it for a new one.
Agreed. FWIW, I have 2 Fuze v2s at my disposal and both scrollwheels are anything but stiff.

Same goes for 4 other v2 Fuzes I purchased on behalf of my mother for her to give to her singing class friends.

All were purchased new, in full retail boxes.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 AM

IT seems to loosen up if I rub rubbing alcohol on the wheel but after a while it stiffens up would it be safe to use some sort of light oil to keep it loose or would that wreck it?
I bought it online at tigerdirect and the reviews for the cheap open box were good so I went for it. But I really can't RMA it because It may take a while to do so and I am leaving the country for 5 months in under a week and I really don't think the rma process will work in under that time

Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Does Sandisk have any official advice for those who have a sticking wheel on their Fuze? Last year the wheel on my Fuze was sticking, and in desperation I took a paper towel and wet it, then rubbed some soap on it. I turned the player upside down, and wiped this wet paper towel on the surface, turned the wheel a few times, then wiped the surface dry before turning the player right side up. I exercized the wheel some more rightside up. I had to do this a few times before the wheel felt like it was turning freely enough. Since then I haven't had a problem with it.

I think some people have tried wd40 and other lubricants, however I am afraid that might damage the player.

Rubbing alcohol has glycerine in it, and that is why it might word decently since it leaves a very thin slightly slippery coating. Perhaps one could try using it like I used the soap water, letting a tiny amount be worked into the wheel without letting too much get into the player.

I am thinking about what else might be used that will lubricate the wheel without damaging the player. I wonder if anyone had success with vaseline?

It would be nice if Sandisk would offer some advice on how to fix this problem without damaging the player.

Last edited by JK98; 08-05-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:09 AM

what about a drop of sewing machine oil I think I have some of that around.

Edit: Won't the residue after using soap make it worse?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"Edit: Won't the residue after using soap make it worse? "

It might if too much is used and it gets on the sensor. I guess it also depends what soap is used. I used a bar of ivory soap. If an oil is too viscous it might make things worse. If a compound can dissolve rubber or plastic, it might damage the player components. At least with a mild soap one doesn't need to worry about it dissolving plastic or rubber.
Some have reported success using WD40, but they only used a tine amount, applyed it to the surface of the wheel with a Qtip, and exercised the wheel. I was too scared to try using WD40.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 AM

I got it going again temporarily using just water from a bottle smeared with my finger over the wheel but it will likely gum up again.

If it gums up again I will try the soap. I have dish soap that I might try.

thanks for all the advice! If you think if anything else that might help let me know here.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:56 PM

ok it gummed up again I tried wd40 which did nothing, soap water worked but it quickly gummed up again after 15 min. I think I am going to go ahead and get rid of rockbox, format it and put my songs back on and just attempt to RMA it with tigerdirect and tell them I have until next thursday and if they can't replace it by then just give me a refund since I will not be around for a few months and an exchange after that date would be pointless.

Gotta say sandisk, you disappointed me on this one. I expected a good product

Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 PM

It's a good product, you just got a dud it's has to happen to someone and it just happened to be you.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 PM

yeah I guess other than the wheel it is the best mp3 player I have ever owned and I was a little frustrated at the time of making that post. However I am much happier now since I called tigerdirect and they said they can send me a new one which I pay for then send this one back and then they refund the money. So I really don't have to go without music.

IF I go into the player in windows explorer and copy the music folder to my computer can I just paste it onto the new sansa or will it give issues you think? I hand picked all 500 songs I have on here and it took 6 hours to find them all and would be a hassle to do it all again.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 PM

I'm not too experienced but it sounds like you can transfer the files like that. You should set up mediamonkey or something similar that way you can set it up to sync everything for you.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 PM

what advantages does mediamonkey have over other media players? I already have too many media player software on my computer WMP, winamp, media player classic, itunes

Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM

I just received my new fuze today and I have to say it is pretty awesome and you guys were right the wheel does move a lot easier than the e200 series. Thanks for all the help without it I would be suffering unknowingly with a defective fuze. This one came with newer firmware by default too 2.01.17 my old one came with 1.0.11 or something like that so sweet.

Edit: the headphones appear to be a bit different too and this one came with a little pouch thinger the old one didn't come with.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I just received my new fuze today and I have to say it is pretty awesome and you guys were right the wheel does move a lot easier than the e200 series. Thanks for all the help without it I would be suffering unknowingly with a defective fuze. This one came with newer firmware by default too 2.01.17 my old one came with 1.0.11 or something like that so sweet.
the other one was a version 1, the one you have now is a version 2, Im pretty sure that 2.01.17 is the first v2 firmware, make sure you update it to latist build(works with rockbox util)

Old 08-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
what advantages does mediamonkey have over other media players? I already have too many media player software on my computer WMP, winamp, media player classic, itunes
A bit OT, but briefly, MediaMonkey has some of the best, most in-depth music library reporting and query tools around. Tons of excellent [safe] scripts, the GUI looks sweet and all around it is a very nice all in one media manger. It is also very well behaved and one can control pretty much all settings on it so it doesn't run rampant over your system settings.

All in all, a very nice piece of software - I encourage you to check it out.

Finally, the MediaMonkey forums are very active and help is always available.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-20-2010, 02:30 PM

I found the wheel on my fuze completely stuck yesterday, I don't know why. I just picked it up and turned it on, everything was fine just hours earlier, went to turn the wheel and nothing, it won't move.
I quickly got an RMA and I'm sending it back to sandisk (in czech republic) so they'll send me a new one. What a disappointment, I didn't expect such a problem all of a sudden. I hope the customer service will treat me well, they have done so until now but they have to be quick with the replacement, I don't want to be fuze-less for a month!
Thankfully, my old creative zen v plus is still working like a charm so I can use it in the meantime, but it's not the same thing as the fuze!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:59 PM

After cleaning the scrollwheel of my Fuze it now moves smoothly, but I think some of the rubbing alcohol has ended up in the mechanism. It's activating the buttons without them being touched when the player's moved. I have to quickly set it to play then put it in hold mode to play anything without it randomly skipping tracks.