android
Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 PM

Default Getting sound while playing doom on zip

Great hardware, sucky games. Doom is addictive, but why no sound? Am I doing something wrong? Resolution could use dithering. Any solution? What about decent games? Like how about porting stuff from the ppc land onto zip rockbox? n e 1 know resolution of zipo screen?

Don't hate me for my questions. Don't say I suck and need to read faq either. I know it is not a phone. Which is why I want some appz that are good.

Jason

P.S.
I don't understand why the zip isn't in a different forum. I mean unlike clip1, clip2, clip+ really has new screen.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontaylor7 View Post
Great hardware, sucky games. Doom is addictive, but why no sound?
I think the original doom music is some kind of MIDI thats hard to reproduce on an mp3 player, so theres no music. If you mean game sounds, do you have sound set to off in the settings?

Quote:
Resolution could use dithering.
Doom is operated at its native color depth AFAIK so no dithering is required.

Quote:
Like how about porting stuff from the ppc land onto zip rockbox?
You can port anything you like that is open source and will run in a few MB of RAM.

Quote:
n e 1 know resolution of zipo screen?
96x96 pixels.

Quote:
I don't understand why the zip isn't in a different forum. I mean unlike clip1, clip2, clip+ really has new screen.
The hardware is identical to the previous devices aside from the screen, so making a new forum doesn't really make sense.

Last edited by saratoga; 01-02-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I think the original doom music is some kind of MIDI thats hard to reproduce on an mp3 player, so theres no music. If you mean game sounds, do you have sound set to off in the settings?
Yes, as a matter of fact I did!!!! Thanks for the great question and solution. Makes a huge diff.

Quote:
Doom is operated at its native color depth AFAIK so no dithering is required.
I meant anti-aliasing. You can't read ANY words due to lack of it. I know it is lowest of cpu to cut lines but you really cant see anything. It is clear the wad files have higher resolution in them. I guess it needs a zoom button or anti-aliasing.

Quote:
The hardware is identical to the previous devices aside from the screen, so making a new forum doesn't really make sense.
Wow I am shocked it has no more power gpu or not to throw more bits to screen.

Thanks for the info seratoga.

Doom is great. But the Lack of apps and games and movie playing etc leaves me a little empty feeling. I wish I could try a real linux on this thing. I note ipodlinux is dead. Any suggestions?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I meant anti-aliasing. You can't read ANY words due to lack of it. I know it is lowest of cpu to cut lines but you really cant see anything. It is clear the wad files have higher resolution in them. I guess it needs a zoom button or anti-aliasing.
I don't know if the doom engine supports that. I tend to think not.

Quote:
Wow I am shocked it has no more power gpu or not to throw more bits to screen.
This is an mp3 player. There is no GPU. And the screen does have more bits, each pixel on the Clip+ was 1 bit, now they're 16 bit.

Quote:
Doom is great. But the Lack of apps and games and movie playing etc leaves me a little empty feeling. I wish I could try a real linux on this thing. I note ipodlinux is dead. Any suggestions?
Its rockbox or the OF. Porting linux to an mp3 player would be pointless anyway, which is why ipodlinux died. Essentially everything it did ended up working better in rockbox, so people moved over to rockbox.

I remember you asking about doing software development some years ago. You're welcome to port just about anything thats feasible to run on the hardware.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:21 PM

"Porting linux to an mp3 player would be pointless anyway,"

Oh, of course, why on earth would I ever want something different from what already exists? How stupid of me.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
"Porting linux to an mp3 player would be pointless anyway,"

Oh, of course, why on earth would I ever want something different from what already exists? How stupid of me.
Its not stupid to want something else. It is kind of dumb to expect things that don't make sense to exist though. Porting linux is a lot of work, and really pointless in this case, so unsurprisingly, no one has done it.

That said, if you feel differently, get to work on it. Most likely though you'll come around to my view once you've spent anytime looking into it.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 AM

"Doom is great. But the Lack of apps and games and movie playing etc leaves me a little empty feeling. I wish I could try a real linux on this thing. I note ipodlinux is dead. Any suggestions?"
The clip zip PLAYS mpg movies , as good as 96pixels can be

You have a very decent number of aplications on rockbox in my opinion
: fuze v2, clip+, clipzip,LG: mffm15, mffm33, Treckstor ibeatcenso and my car's one!