android
Old 01-04-2012, 11:51 AM

Default How Is The Audio on the Galaxy 4.0/5.0?

I've read a number of reviews that say the audio is pretty bad on the Galaxy 4.0/5.0. If you actually own one, how bad is the audio with unit right out of the box? I'm fairly picky on SQ, anything less than Archos SQ might be a problem. Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Right out of the box the audio is good. It does come with an equalizer pre-installed to fix to your liking,but it of course gets even better after trying the various music apps on the app market. I just tried the PowerAMP app and now I prefer listening to my music on my SGP 5.0 way more than on my laptop and iPod lol it sounds that great.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Try ttpod as a music player.If you like to play with settings this free app has a killer equalizer that got me best sound yet but you have to work at it.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I found it to perform fairly well. Honestly, I have no idea where the claims about it having poor sound quality comes from, particularly when you can tweak it with a HUGE variety of apps.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Sound is great (better than any -phone)! I prefer http://www.appbrain.com/app/%C2%B3/o...kon.rockonnggl as my player of choice. It's equalizer seems buggy so I leave it off and use DSP Manager for equalizing any media on SGP (download from XDA), works fine non-rooted.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 PM

Just to be clear, we are talking about, essentially, the quality of the chipset/sound processing firmware on the device.
I come from a Sansa Fuze, which had really excellent sound quality and was rather spoiled in this regard (given the limitations of mp3 and compressed music in general). The Sansa Fuze had very good detail and presence. I find this perhaps not quite as good. However, this is totally subjective. I have not done any objective comparison or analysis. I have only used the stock player. I prefer not to mess with EQ settings as this is only adding coloration and possibly distortion to the information. I use Normal setting for as flat a response as possible. There are some music programs that seem to benefit from the Cafe setting however. I'm not sure what this does exactly but it seems to add some reverb and "open up" the sound stage significantly. Jazz and quartet stuff sounds particularly good this way.

Overall I'd say that the unit does a very good job of accurately representing sound. I'm not an engineer but I'm an amateur musician and have been avidly listening to music for many decades. (From Aerosmith, to Chet Baker to Brad Mehldau and Pat Metheny to ElTenEleven to Ratatat to Zappa) I think you'd have to be extremely advanced with an exceptional set of ears to find fwith the device itself. And in that case, you're not going to be someone who messes about with mp3 or even FLAC files.
If you're listening to Britney Spears and HipHop, dance, trance or advance romance, you're not going to care much one way or another.

I'm using some Klipsch S4 earbuds. (around $80) Really pretty good for the price. Probably not on a par with $300 Shures but I'm quite pleased with them.

As far as audio out of the integral stereo speakers, that's another story. They are tiny 1/4" speakers so you're not going to be critiquing these for sound quality. They suffice for watching netflix and occasional music playback but they are nothing approaching audiophile quality. Work just fine for "wake to music" alarm clock and video watching, etc.

One cheap solution here lacking any real docks/speakers. I use a couple sets of half-decent computer speakers around the house. Just plug your device in and get decent sound. Not as good as your entertainment center or good analog stereo, but pretty good. You can get these things for free used if you keep your eyes out. Set a pair up at your bed, your workbench, your desk, the kitchen counter, garage...

My advice: go for it. You won't be disappointed. It's an amazing device all around. Almost perfect.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:43 PM

Are you talking these: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE-...5706026&sr=8-1 I may pick up a pair. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
I'm using some Klipsch S4 earbuds. (around $80) Really pretty good for the price. Probably not on a par with $300 Shures but I'm quite pleased with them.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Are you talking these: http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE-...5706026&sr=8-1 I may pick up a pair. Thanks!
That's them. Pretty good. Come with 3 or 4 different silicone tips so you can get a good fit. When you find out what size tips fit you best, go online to Klipsch and order extras of that size. Pretty cheap. They pull off fairly easily and obviously the buds won't work if you're missing one.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:56 PM

The problem I'm noticing is a fairly discernible hiss in the background. It is loud enough to be distracting if you are particular about sound. You can also notice other noises when the processor is working.

I thought there was something wrong with my sound file but then I realized it showed up on all recordings. I am pretty disappointed since this is a media player. I am hoping some solution will present itself.

Otherwise, I love the 5.0. It is like a mini tablet but still fits in your pocket.

I should add that the sound on the stock player is good. If it were not for the hiss I would be very pleased.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 PM

Man you have good ears. No matter what type of "quiet" song I listen to, I can't hear a hiss. I agree the default player has good sound and good equalizer. I've had DSP manager on my 5.0 and played with it tweaking music in Cubed Player, but the default just sounds a bit better. DSP manager does have LOTS of tweaking ability, but not worth the trouble IMO. I like Cubed because of the cool UI, but a music player is to listen to, not watch... sticking with default (although I may use the cube icon).... is there no Music widget?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:37 PM

Just got these in. Sound is great, but tips just don't work in my ears. All 3 sizes don't stay in very well. The OEM earbuds that came with the player seem to fit/stay much better. I don't have them with me, but will see if they will work with these buds. If not, probably going back. They do sound great, but not $70 better if they don't stay in place.

edit: Now that I'm home and have the 2 side by side, the Klipsch are fantastic. I still like the silicone tips that came with the player MUCH better, hopefully Klipsch makes different sizes than the 3 that came with it, none of them stay in my ears well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
That's them. Pretty good. Come with 3 or 4 different silicone tips so you can get a good fit. When you find out what size tips fit you best, go online to Klipsch and order extras of that size. Pretty cheap. They pull off fairly easily and obviously the buds won't work if you're missing one.

Last edited by tcat; 01-18-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughts View Post
The problem I'm noticing is a fairly discernible hiss in the background. It is loud enough to be distracting if you are particular about sound. You can also notice other noises when the processor is working.

I thought there was something wrong with my sound file but then I realized it showed up on all recordings. I am pretty disappointed since this is a media player. I am hoping some solution will present itself.

Otherwise, I love the 5.0. It is like a mini tablet but still fits in your pocket.

I should add that the sound on the stock player is good. If it were not for the hiss I would be very pleased.

The only way i can notice the hiss is if i open up the music app with no music on, and have the volume all the way up with earbuds in. And even at that after a couple seconds of inactivity the hissing will stop. Its EXTREMELY quiet, and just about any player you buy will do this.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regicidal View Post
The only way i can notice the hiss is if i open up the music app with no music on, and have the volume all the way up with earbuds in. And even at that after a couple seconds of inactivity the hissing will stop. Its EXTREMELY quiet, and just about any player you buy will do this.
I tried this with PowerAMP. Even with amplified headphones at full blast pressed against my ears and everything at maximum volume it's dead silent. Could it be something from the GPS or Wifi (I have them turned off)?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp View Post
If you actually own one, how bad is the audio with unit right out of the box?
My opinion of course, but it sounded pretty awful.

As noted in another thread the earbuds sound okay, but because of the flimsy nature of the tips they tend to come partway or all the way out. When they become partially dislodged it obviously changes the direction and the distance of the speaker.

The stock music player is a no-go in my mind. It looks nice enough and its relatively easy to navigate but the EQ presets are one word. No idea what it does just, "Vocal". Okay. Umm, thanks. What does that change on the EQ? No clue. You can easily make your own preset, but otherwise the audio sounds really limp. Max volume is deafening, but the bass and treble are flat right out of the box without some listening and adjusting.

I was really disappointed with the sound quality then I was reminded of what I got an Android device. I swapped the earbuds for a real pair, loaded up Winamp from the Google App Store, and yeah...heaven. It easily beats the sound quality of my iPod with the exact same buds. I'll probably just use the Samsung buds as a travel pair. If they got lost or crushed, who cares?

I'm sure there are better audio players but I'm used to Winamp. Regardless, it curb-stomps the stock player and makes the device sound marvelous. Listening to Yann Tiersen right now. Pretty damn happy.

tl;dr the stock player and earbuds are not worth your time. The device is fantastic.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 AM

Tried about 10 different audio players but i had to part with 5 bucks to poweramp to get really good,full sound with an equalizer that makes a difference.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:40 AM

Wow, all ears hear things so differently. I thought my 5.0 was excellent right out of box. The buds seal and stay in my ears better than the s4's I just bought. The s4's do sound much better. I keep going back to the default player because the equalizer sounds great. "Vocal" is useless, but I have no just vocal music. I still use Cubed as my preferred player. I have never heard "hiss".

Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 PM

I can tell you that the 4.0 with wolfsons DAC and voodoo sound enabled sounds AMAZING, the included earbuds are just plain bad

Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I personally don't like the sq of the IEM's that came with my SGP 5.0, but using one of my HP's it sounds EXCELLENT!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:21 AM

I have owned a Sansa Fuse and Clip (including the new clip) and 2 different Galaxy phones (both with the Wolfson DAC) and the SQ of the 5.0 player with the yamaha chip is not as good as either the Sansa's or my 2 Galaxy phones. But it's not horrible either. It just lacks some 'air' and/or 'transparency'.

The only way I found to get the hiss is to use DSP manager and turn on the 'Virtual Room' feature.

Like others I got the 5.0 to use as a reader/forum browser and for that purpose I really like it. If I intend to listen to music I grab my smaller (4") phone with voodoo sound or my Sansa Clip.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezas View Post
It just lacks some 'air' and/or 'transparency'.
This just reminded me of some of the funny articles I read in Stereo Review when I was younger. They used words like this when something cost a thousand dollars more than another product.