android
Old 01-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Lightbulb Reading ebooks in SMP 5.0 ?

hi...

anyone read ebooks in SMP 5.0 ? is it good? i'm thinking of skipping buying nook simple touch if i can read on this device.

if anyone has both this player and some eink reader, please could u let me know the difference in reading in both of them?

thanks & regards

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM

I use the SGP 5 to read ebooks. I decided to go with a multi-format ebook reader app rather than the Kindle app or the Nook app. You certainly could install either or both of those. After briefly trying a couple of ebook apps I have Cool Reader installed and that is what I am using. It reads most ebook formats including pdf files. I have epub and mobi book files on my SD card. The app can be configured as you want it -text size, page color, page appearance and so on - it even will read the book to you text to speech. It shows any illustrations in the ebook file. The best part is that it is free at the Android Market.

I don't have a dedicated ebook device so I can't compare in regular use, but from the ones that I have seen in demoed in store displays, there really is no difference except in size. This is, of course, a five inch screen and unless you have it set to a small font you get what is equivalent to maybe half a book page on the screen at a time - which to me really does not matter.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:10 PM

Yeah, I'd pretty much echo what 1776 said.
I have not used a nook or a kindle.
I remember seeing a kindle someone was using on the beach last summer and was really impressed by how easy the screen was to read in full sunlight. (the old version, not the Fire, obviously).
Anyway, obviously the SGP5 is smaller. But I tell you, this little device is so freaking amazing. I call it my micro-tab. I would say I have never been happier with any electronic purchase. I did a lot of research, and I am even more impressed now than I was initially. You've got a camera and video. The ease and sensational quality of watching Netflix (and YouTube), browsing, reading news, playing games and reading books, is just phenomenal.

Add synced email to all your accounts and your gmail, and on-board contacts and calendar synced automatically to google contacts and calendar, and then add free Google Maps AND Navigation, (GPS on board) and then add a good music player with great sound quality which plays FLAC and ogg...plus a lot more. Add Skype and the ability to SMS and phone call when on wifi. Massive amount of good apps for free or almost free. Flashlight, guitar tuner, sketchbook "photoshop lite", barcode scanner, QR code scanner. For $210 and no contracts!? Are you kidding?
Stereo speakers, you get FM radio, an external microSD card (up to 32 GB capacity), and battery life is really, really excellent. The whole thing is just an inch bigger than most cell phones, and still hand-holdable in one hand with thumb able to hit all areas of the screen...but the extra screen area really makes a big difference. The big thing for me is getting this into my pocket or a belt pouch. That's not going to happen with a Kindle or a tablet. This is the electronic value of the century so far.

But I digress. Back to readers. I use the Kindle Reader. And, for free downloads from my local library, I use an app called OverDrive, which is a free ebook reader. You have to sign up for a free Adobe account because it reads in pdf format but otherwise it's effortless. Can vary font and font size, can get a sepia background or white on black. It all works very, very well. And although it's like reading a 5" paperback, it's not all that bad really. yes, I'd prefer to actually have the book in paper format, but when you factor in the convenience of getting a free library book from anywhere in the world and not having to drive to the library to take it back, it's worth it. Obviously the selection of e-books from my library is nowhere near what the library has in hard format, but this will improve, I am sure.

My advice is you'll get WAY more out of this SGP5 than a Kindle Fire but you should definitely get your hands on both and make your own decision.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 AM

I have two good Sony e-ink readers and I have to say that for reading, I prefer e-ink as it is easier on my eyes. My eyes are older though and just don't like backlit screens that well.

That said, I can read on the SGP 5.0 with reasonable comfort, the screen is definitely nice enough for that. I tried reading on a Nook Color in store, my eyes hated it. The SGP 5.0 is quite passable for me, though I don't think I'd ever use it for extended reading. But it is sure nice for checking out cookbooks with color images!

So it really all depends on your eyes and what they like. But there are a number of reading apps to try and ways to customize the appearance of your books, so this device can certainly be used as a reader.

What I love is that I can fit both my 5" Sony PRS-350 AND this gadget in my purse at the same time, so I'm set for playing on the web if I have WiFi access or having a good read if I don't. Best of both worlds.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 AM

thanks everyone for your feedback. i'm still a little bit confused if i should go with buying this or a 7" tablet. Its costing me around 280USD here in Pakistan. Nook simple touch ereader is costing me around 155USD.

I understand that if i want to read for long hours it would not be as good as reading a book or from an eink reader. The maximum which i currently read a book is around 1 hour at night time when i'm at home. However, this might change when i've SMP and can read whenever i get time.

What is a little bit confusing is if i'll be able to watch movies/videos on this as its only 5" and today i've come across COBY's MP977 (7" screen - 8gb) which costs around 130USD, can play videos and read ebooks (but its not touch screen). Also, came across a chinese tablet Ramos W6HD (7", 185USD), its specs look nice plus it has anti-glare which might be good for reading ebooks.

I think what i want is a device which can read ebooks and play videos, internet/wifi and all those other things i can do with my laptop as well.

All this confuses me and i think why not go with a 10.1" notebook which costs around 300USD and can do much more but then the problem of portability arises.

Still confused

Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Portability

Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 PM

The difference between an SGP 5 and a netbook, a 7" tablet, or a laptop is that you can put this into your pocket - it actually does fit in a shirt pocket and take it with you. Of course, if you carry a briefcase all of time when you are out then there is no reason for a smaller player. Yes, you can watch videos, movies, play music, play games, create, read, and edit MSOffice documents with the apps that come on the SGP 5. As to other off brands\ tablets, I would hope that a company like Samsung is going to provide much better support. I got the SGP 5 because I wanted a tablet and not because I want to listen to music. This is a tablet with a five inch screen.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:22 PM

I also use GrooveIP at home on wifi (I have no cell reception). It's small enough to almost feel like a phone. Works well.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
The difference between an SGP 5 and a netbook, a 7" tablet, or a laptop is that you can put this into your pocket - it actually does fit in a shirt pocket and take it with you. Of course, if you carry a briefcase all of time when you are out then there is no reason for a smaller player. Yes, you can watch videos, movies, play music, play games, create, read, and edit MSOffice documents with the apps that come on the SGP 5. As to other off brands\ tablets, I would hope that a company like Samsung is going to provide much better support. I got the SGP 5 because I wanted a tablet and not because I want to listen to music. This is a tablet with a five inch screen.
If i had been carrying a briefcase with me all the time i wouldn't really be needing a tablet, would I? :P

yes portability is the thing here, but i'm just trying to imagine that if i watch movies in this how would they look...like not quality wise but all the characters would look like dwarfs?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 PM

I prefer my Galaxy5 as an ereader over my Sony T1 and Kindle Fire. I prefer the lcd screen and its' ability to adjust brightness, background color, etc. to what I want. I use night mode all the time, day or night. I find it more enjoyable.

I use Aldiko as the predominant reader software but also use Mantano...it will read drm'd books with an Adobe Digital account...and I also use CoolReader a bit just for a change. I like the varied backgrounds...ie, wood, parchment, etc...

It is the perfect mobile reader for me. It easily fits in my pant's pocket or jacket pocket. I especially like that it is also a very nice wifi device.

I'm very happy with it and haven't touched my Fire or T1 since I've purchased it.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:00 AM

I just tried Cool Reader, seems confussing. No "home" page (like your books on a shelf or even listed). I have 4 books in my Kindle folder, it did not find any, but if I opened that folder it would open 1 book in it (gave errors on the other 3). All were same extension. I saw no way to organize it in settings. Sticking with Kindle Reader for now (until I find more books).

Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 AM

I don't think CoolReader reads mobi or Kindle files.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:30 AM

I considered the Kindle Simpletouch for a short while due to the screen and battery life. Ultimately the SGP4's multiple capabilities won me over. I've been happy reading e-books on it with the Overdrive app I got from my public library. I haven't bothered to try any other E-reader apps on it yet, since Overdrive is working well. I use Overdrive's nighttime screen option (white text on black page) all the time but, the sepia option is nice too.

So that's the SGP4. I imagine that the SGP5 would work just as well for this. The 5 definitely has the better layout of physical buttons and ports but, I appreciate the portability advantage of the 4. Either one is more pocketable than other e-readers. Pocketable means you'll always have books with you when you want them.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 AM

The SGP 5.0's screen is about a 1cm narrower than my Bookeen Opus. It is very readable but, I too prefer the e-ink for reading. I do read books on the SGP though while wait for services or people...not bad. My preferred non e-ink is the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

The SGP is like any PDA I have use to read off of. A couple of paragraphs at a time the difference with the SGP and a PDA or my Bookeen is the page flipping is much fast and to find info is much easier and faster too.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:09 PM

hmm i'm getting nook simple touch for reading books (have a LOT of books that i would like to read) and have ordered SMP .... will watch videoz and stuff on it and maybe more...will see what else it has to offer for my individual needs

Old 01-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljan View Post
hmm i'm getting nook simple touch for reading books (have a LOT of books that i would like to read) and have ordered SMP .... will watch videoz and stuff on it and maybe more...will see what else it has to offer for my individual needs
Good choice!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Good choice!
Thanks

Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 PM

The Nook and Kindle Apps cannot seem to access the external SD card. Aldiko and Cool Reader can. Also, Cool reader can read it out loud.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM

I can't get Cool Reader to recognize the 4 Kindle Books I have (4 free downloads). Is there a method to get it to see them?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:24 PM

I'm confused by all the different ebook formats. I've been buying ebooks from ereader.com for about ten years. I haven't found any Android app other than theirs that will read their books. Have I overlooked something?