android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 01-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default What do I think about the SGP5? Well, let's see...

I decided to write down what I think about it after a few weeks of VERY heavy use, so why not share it with you all?

The most important thing I noticed about it out of the box... The music player SUCKS. The stock one that comes on it, at least. It was laggy and not all that intuitive. Luckily, the plethora of apps out there are a godsend. I've tried and liked a lot of them, including TTPod, Cloudskipper, Cubed, Google Music, and Rockbox. I'm sticking with Cubed for now. My only problem is that none of them are all that accessible without unlocking the screen. Cubed can be accessible, but not without a bit of a hassle.

In my experience so far, the only thing it had trouble running was a game from Glu Mobile called Frontline Commando. Besides that one app, all of it has been pretty smooth. Particularly Netflix. I've watched hundreds and hundreds of episodes of various TV shows on it since Christmas Eve. It looks wonderful, and it runs quickly, even with Facebook messenger and testPlus running.

Something I was apprehensive about was the touch buttons. I sometimes have problems accidentally pressing tactile buttons, but I've actually found them to be not too bad. If my finger slips off the screen and touches one of them, it doesn't register, which prevents most of my accidental presses. Then there's the actual tactile buttons, power/lock and the volume rocker, and I actually end up pressing those accidentally more than the others. Go figure.

And, on to my favorite part of the player... The battery life. Almost no matter how I use it, it lasts me at least one day. Most of the time two. It's brilliant.

Conclusion, with the right tweaks and customization, it's an awesome player. Throw in a 32GB card, and you have an amazing player, throw in Google Music, and you've got your entire collection in your pocket almost anywhere you go. I think I'm falling in love with Android.

Last edited by steinburger1109; 01-11-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM

Lucky you - the 4.0 has half the size battery, I can get maybe 3 hours of heavy gaming if I am lucky. I would love to have that battery life, to bad I couldn't stand a 5" screen.
Anyway, good summary, about flcommando, it seams to work fine on my 4.0, weird.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 PM

I agree. Not sure what you mean about not accessible without locking the screen. You mean without unlocking it? Yeah the player doesn't stay in lockscreen mode for more than 5 seconds, so you can't really use lockscreen widgets. I love all my music, so in shuffle mode I never need to look at anything.

"Couldn't stand a 5" screen", what's that about? (too big for your pocket?)... You must have 20-20 vision

The thing I like about the player most is it does EVERYTHING my phone does (other than make/receive calls while I drive to and from work), faster, bigger, and better. I can drop my VM $25 phone service and save at least $15/mo. with a cheap Paylo plan. With wifi service at home, work, airports, hotels, I see no need for 3G data anymore.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimaniac View Post
Lucky you - the 4.0 has half the size battery, I can get maybe 3 hours of heavy gaming if I am lucky. I would love to have that battery life, to bad I couldn't stand a 5" screen.
Anyway, good summary, about flcommando, it seams to work fine on my 4.0, weird.
The battery was the biggest reason I got the 5 instead of the 4. I was a little apprehensive about whether or not it would fit in my pockets, but it does, and I love it.

I'll give the game another shot, but the one time I tried it it stopped running within a few seconds of starting it. I have three other games by the same devs, and they work fine. Maybe it was a rare occurence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
I agree. Not sure what you mean about not accessible without locking the screen. You mean without unlocking it? Yeah the player doesn't stay in lockscreen mode for more than 5 seconds, so you can't really use lockscreen widgets. I love all my music, so in shuffle mode I never need to look at anything.

The thing I like about the player most is it does EVERYTHING my phone does (other than make/receive calls while I drive to and from work), faster, bigger, and better. I can drop my VM $25 phone service and save at least $15/mo. with a cheap Paylo plan. With wifi service at home, work, airports, hotels, I see no need for 3G data anymore.
You're right, sorry. Typo. I love my music, but sometimes I feel like some Hatebreed or Chimaira when up comes some Holst. Times like those, I liked when I could change the song without looking at the screen or even taking it out of my pocket with my Zune.

Same. I think I've only used my cell once or twice since getting this.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Hatebreed, Chimaira, Holst... man I must be old, never heard of any of them... mine are closer to Electric Prunes, Doors, Simon and Garfunkel...

Old 01-11-2012, 02:07 PM

Main reason I stayed away from the 5.0 us because I developed "huge device that can't fit in my pocket phobia" from my old PSP, and I guessed that since I had a 4.3" screen on that, a 5" screen would never do. The other reason was because the 5.0 used to cost $40 more, witch was out of my budget (I'm 15). I really didn't know it had a bigger battery at the time anyway, and if I had a chance to buy it again, I would go with the 5.0.
BTW; my vision is 20/20, lol!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hatebreed, Chimaira, Holst... man I must be old, never heard of any of them... mine are closer to Electric Prunes, Doors, Simon and Garfunkel...
Haha Hatebreed and Chimaira, fair enough... But Holst:

Trust me, you aren't older than he is.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Absolutely agree. I love my SGP5. With the 5" screen it does most things better than the phone did them and still fits nicely in my shirt pocket.

I dumped my phone and don't miss it. Add a no contract MiFi hotspot in your car or whatever and for $20 a month you have full mobile connectivity. If you are really cheap (as I am) you can let the MiFi lapse periodically and re-up when you are going to be traveling or otherwise need it.

I also find Google Nav on the 5" quite nice. Be sure to enable Traffic Layer.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post
Absolutely agree. I love my SGP5. With the 5" screen it does most things better than the phone did them and still fits nicely in my shirt pocket.

I dumped my phone and don't miss it. Add a no contract MiFi hotspot in your car or whatever and for $20 a month you have full mobile connectivity. If you are really cheap (as I am) you can let the MiFi lapse periodically and re-up when you are going to be traveling or otherwise need it.

With what company did you find a $20 mifi hotspot?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 PM

I love my 4.0 but like you said the music player sucks. I don't use it so its existence on the bottom of my homescreen is annoying and I cannot switch that icon to cloudskipper. Another annoying thing is that many apps I had on my ipod touch, their android counterparts do not work on the galaxy player according to the android market and I don't see why they wouldn't for example corus radio app not compatible according to market. If I could find the apk file I bet I can make it work. another app I wanted was adw launcher to get rid of the music app I don't use among other things but it too is for some reason not compatible according to market.

I had no idea the 5.0 had a bigger battery and more battery life. Oh well I was aiming for portability so went with the 4.0. I can't wait for custom roms for the galaxy player so the little things that annoy me will likely disappear and maybe we will see icecream sandwich but I won't use it if there is a significant decrease in responsiveness.

The video format support is awesome and for what formats it doesn't support by default mobo player does support so no more having a lengthy process of converting videos like with my ipod.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
With what company did you find a $20 mifi hotspot?
That was $20 a month. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Device is under $130 though at Walmart, purchased outright. And they have a special deal with Virgin Mobile so that if you purchace the MiFi through Walmart, you get a Gig of data in your 30 days instead of the usual 500Mb. Works for me.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
I love my 4.0 but like you said the music player sucks. I don't use it so its existence on the bottom of my homescreen is annoying and I cannot switch that icon to cloudskipper.
You CAN switch the music player icon on the bottom of the screen to Cloudskipper, or whatever app you like. At least you can on the 5.0 and I doubt that is different. You can't swap the Home/Applications slot down there, but the others are up to you.

Go to Applications. Hit the menu button below the screen. Select Edit. Then drag any app you want regular access to into one of those bottom three spaces.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:02 PM

I find Google Nav NOT a selling feature, since you need wifi to make it work well, but if you do the hotspot thing I'm sure it's great. I find Navfree adequate for off-line use.

I'm "torn" whether to ditch my phone (VM $25 unlimited), and going with the cheappest Pay as you go plan ($5/mo), would save $20/mo.... gee same as hotspot! I can tether to my SGP5 with my phone, but only have once in a month (and that was only to test it). I don't travel much, so don't really see the need for the 3G data (anymore).

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post

Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Default Prepaid Mifi works with SGP5!

Check out the Truconnect Mifi 2200, I've been using it for a couple weeks now. The device is credit card shape and about 1/4- 3/8 inch thick. With charger/removable USB cord included it cost about $90 delivered then $5/month prepaid cancel-able at anytime. Then there is a 3.9 cents per megabyte charge which is automatically deducted from your pre-loaded dollars. You can check the charges real-time at your account online so it's fun to see how the pennies add up.

No more 2 year plan for this dude!

P.S. I also use the Wifinder and DataCounter in conjunction.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulberrySGP5 View Post
Check out the Truconnect Mifi 2200, I've been using it for a couple weeks now. The device is credit card shape and about 1/4- 3/8 inch thick. With charger/removable USB cord included it cost about $90 delivered then $5/month prepaid cancel-able at anytime. Then there is a 3.9 cents per megabyte charge which is automatically deducted from your pre-loaded dollars. You can check the charges real-time at your account online so it's fun to see how the pennies add up.

No more 2 year plan for this dude!

P.S. I also use the Wifinder and DataCounter in conjunction.
Nice option to know about. Same device as the Walmart/Virgin Mobile MiFi I mentioned earlier and cheaper if you are averaging much less than 1/2 a gig per month. I used less than that, last month, but don't yet know if that will be typical. May need to make the switch as I spend most of the time in fixed location WiFi zones.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulberrySGP5 View Post
Thanks. I just ordered one. Can't wait until it gets here and I can try it. With a 90 day risk-free trial and $20.00 off as a promotional deal, I couldn't resist . I got the same price of about $90 by ordering from TruConnect's site and using the promo code CES2012.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 PM

I'm sorry, I don't completely get it: Truconnect is charging $40 per gigabyte of use + $5 per month - so that's $45 for *one* gigabyte in a month. Verizon charges $50 for *five* gigabytes per month, and it's 4G (LTE) and the device costs $49 (with contract of two years). That's $10 per gigabyte.

Verizon 4G is much faster than Sprint 3G and has wider coverage. It is much cheaper if you use the internet a lot.

So, if you use internet only a little and don't mind slow speeds (forget streaming video), Truconnect might be reasonable.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 PM

The funny thing about the 5.0 is that everyone thinks its huge before buying it and isn't portable when it is lol It fits like a glove in my hand and slides easily in any pocket. Other 5 inch tablets are MUCH larger and less portable,like the Latte ICE Smart 5 inch tablet,the sides are much thinner on the 5.0 making it fit inside a pocket easier. Its actually about the same size as a DS Lite in a side by side comparison.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:43 PM

I've had my GP5 for several weeks and it has become my favorite media device. I bought it to use as an ereader that I could carry in my pocket and allow me to read in bed at night without disturbing my wife's sleep.

I love it as an ereader. I use Aldiko, Mantano and Kindle reader...several books in Kindle drm format...ugh...Aldiko and Mantano are Adobe DRM so I can read the epub drm books that I own. I like the reader programs quite a bit and they work very well on the GP5.

As I continued to use this device I came to enjoy it as an web device as much as an ereader. It is just large enough, especially in landscape mode, to check email, browse the web, etc. I did not expect this and it is an added benefit.

I added an 8gb micro sd and have more than enough room for what I use it for.

There are only a couple of things I'm not thrilled with but they are minor. I wish the white, shiny case was black with a less slick feel to it. I wish Kies would see my itunes so I can use the playlists on the GP5.
I also hope Samsung offers ICS for it, because I'm a nerd and want all new thingies, but Gingerbread works fine...just being a geek I guess.

Finding cases for it was a bit of a challenge as well. I wanted a neoprene case that would hold it snugly without being too large. Hard to find but I wound up finding a very nice neoprene case by Dynex that is for a portable hard drive. I fits perfect, is light and not bulky and only cost $8.00.

How long I keep it will depend on what, if anything, comes along that is better in a 5 to 6 inch screen size. I suspect it will be awhile.

I also have a Sony T1 reader which is a very nice device as an ereader but I really wanted color and it is a bit bulky in a pants pocket. I bought a Kindle Fire right after the T1 and love it but it is too large to carry easily and it is my travel internet device...I never expected to buy 3 devices in 6 weeks but there you go. I'll use them especially with the T1 price dropping so much...selling it on ebay will not get much of a return lol.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 PM

From what I can see, it's $5.00 per month, and $3.90 per 100mb. I have wifi at home and office, so the only time I might need 3G is drive to work. I have a 3G unlimited plan with VM ($25/mo) and haven't used more than 100mb in the last month (because I do everything on my SGP5). For me, I can keep my plan (for wifi hotspot ability) but pay $20/mo more than I need to; or I can just get a $5/mo phone and forget 3G data; or I can get this hotspot gizmo and pay less than $10/mo. for all the data I'd use (and usually just $5/mo). The $5/mo phone is probably my best option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
I'm sorry, I don't completely get it: Truconnect is charging $40 per gigabyte of use + $5 per month - so that's $45 for *one* gigabyte in a month. Verizon charges $50 for *five* gigabytes per month, and it's 4G (LTE) and the device costs $49 (with contract of two years). That's $10 per gigabyte.

Verizon 4G is much faster than Sprint 3G and has wider coverage. It is much cheaper if you use the internet a lot.

So, if you use internet only a little and don't mind slow speeds (forget streaming video), Truconnect might be reasonable.