android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 PM

I bought this case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gala...item4ab27af235 It's "almost" rubbery, has nice "gripy" knurl on sides, curls slightly around front (you see no white or chrome from front). I sandblasted mine so glossy side is matte.

I saw this thread for one of our other questions: http://androidforums.com/captivate-t...-galaxy-s.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
There are only a couple of things I'm not thrilled with but they are minor. I wish the white, shiny case was black with a less slick feel to it. I wish Kies would see my itunes so I can use the playlists on the GP5.
Finding cases for it was a bit of a challenge as well. I wanted a neoprene case that would hold it snugly without being too large. Hard to find but I wound up finding a very nice neoprene case by Dynex that is for a portable hard drive. I fits perfect, is light and not bulky and only cost $8.00.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey mikee, try a different launcher. I have used Launcher Pro since nearly day 1 with no looking back, and it has allowed me to completely revamp my homescreens. They are now 5x5 with the dock, all of it completely changeable with a simple long press.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 PM

I've tried Go Launcher EX and AWD Launcher so far,but I stuck with Go Launcher because of the vast amount of themes.I have a habit of downloading way too many themes and since there are so many that I like for it,I keep adding more and more lol

Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
I've tried Go Launcher EX and AWD Launcher so far,but I stuck with Go Launcher because of the vast amount of themes.I have a habit of downloading way too many themes and since there are so many that I like for it,I keep adding more and more lol
Nice. Have you seen/tried any WP7 themes for it? I need to get Launcher 7 or a WP7 theme for another launcher on here eventually, if only for the novelty.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 AM

I agree GO is the best. I never understood the value of "Themes" in launchers. I use Mulit-Picture Live wallpaper so I can put "my theme" on each each screen. I just download transparent icons from images pages and replace most of the icons anyway. GO is smooth and has great animations between screens and app drawer. And Back-up and Restore is flawless.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwatch View Post
That was $20 a month. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Device is under $130 though at Walmart, purchased outright. And they have a special deal with Virgin Mobile so that if you purchace the MiFi through Walmart, you get a Gig of data in your 30 days instead of the usual 500Mb. Works for me.
This is new to me. So get the hardware for $130, and then it's a no-contract monthly fee: $20 for 500megs?
And you place this hardware device anywhere you want, like in your car or at your friends place?
And it's receiving/transmitting 3G to the networks side and wifi on your personal side?
That's amazing. And what's coverage like? I assume you'd have to go to virgin Mobile website and check their national coverage maps...

Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulberrySGP5 View Post
Check out the Truconnect Mifi 2200, I've been using it for a couple weeks now. The device is credit card shape and about 1/4- 3/8 inch thick. With charger/removable USB cord included it cost about $90 delivered then $5/month prepaid cancel-able at anytime. Then there is a 3.9 cents per megabyte charge which is automatically deducted from your pre-loaded dollars. You can check the charges real-time at your account online so it's fun to see how the pennies add up.

No more 2 year plan for this dude!

P.S. I also use the Wifinder and DataCounter in conjunction.
$5/month is a fee to use the device or prepaid data?
Which carrier is operating the 3G? Verizon? AT&T? What's the coverage like?
thanks

Old 01-13-2012, 12:50 PM

http://www.truconnect.com/plans/ Looks like $5 PLUS $3.90 per 100.... although I see this in an article about them: "For example, using 250 MB of data in a month would cost just under $15: the $5 monthly charge plus $9.75 for the data."

Just don't buy it if you live in Montana: http://www.truconnect.com/coverage/

Says I have solid blue at my house (but I get NO bars with Sprint or AT&T). Pretty sure they're using Sprint. Be nice to get feedback from actual users with 3G speed tests. If they are adequate for GrooveIP, this is the way to go!

Last edited by tcat; 01-13-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM

Most of the secondary cell company no contract/pre-paid plans contract with Sprint for their data coverage - and Sprint has the smallest coverage area of the "big 4". Where Sprint does cover it provides good data reception, but if you travel across the country there are a lot of holes in their coverage area. 250 mb of data is very limited - fine for email or an occasional web page, but don't try streaming - and look closely at the agreement terms as many of these companies forbid streaming and will cancel coverage if discovered.

Looking at the Truconnect website, they are on Sprint data network and apparently they don't care about streaming because they are charging by the mb. if you use a gigabite of data a month look at Virgin Mobile Broadband - it will come out cheaper and you can stop service for months that you do not plan to use the service and reactivate it when you need it. This is good for those traveling, especailly RVers.

Last edited by 1776; 01-13-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:06 PM

Default More on TruConnect mifi

Good comments regarding the TruConnect prepaid plans, I agree with all especially that it is not for everyone as the data charges could defeat my purpose. For example, I need to pay attention not to leave the little bugger turned on at home. Once when I turned on the SGP5 it's wifi connected to the TruConnect instead of my house wifi!

I haven't traveled yet with it but around town here I mostly use non-data intensive apps and I find the charges very reasonable. For example, 4 cents if I go check weather, road traffic and emails. I use Skype video calls from home a lot and they are a real data gobbler so would never use mifi for that unless something really special and I would keep it brief.

Re: $5/month, it is just for the privilege of having the network available when you need it, then data is charged at 3.9 cents per MB. And yes, it is the Sprint network. Coverage has been good around everywhere I go (Seattle area) but haven't taken it traveling yet. TruConnect has a "no-questions asked return policy". My plan is to inactivate the plan if it turns out that I don't use it around home for months on end and then reactivate when I travel. Especially if they jack up the $5/month.

Re: battery life. I haven't tested exhaustively but seems very adequate similar to a cell phone. I got over 6 1/2 hours on standby (had to push the power button every 1/2 hour to keep it awake). Talktime varies depending on signal strength/distance from cell towers as I understand it. I bought a spare battery for under $5 so if it goes dead I can pop in the backup.
It recharges to full in less than an hour. I wish it had a battery-level meter but carrying the extra battery is no problem.

(GrooveIP works great but I still carry my little $7/month Tracfone for emergencies)

Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
This is new to me. So get the hardware for $130, and then it's a no-contract monthly fee: $20 for 500megs?
And you place this hardware device anywhere you want, like in your car or at your friends place?
And it's receiving/transmitting 3G to the networks side and wifi on your personal side?
That's amazing. And what's coverage like? I assume you'd have to go to virgin Mobile website and check their national coverage maps...
Yep, that is pretty much it. Actually you can get the Hardware at walmart.com (for Virgin Mobile) for $99.88 currently. VM and Trueconnect both apparently use the Sprint network, so you can check the Sprint maps for your areas. From running the numbers it looks like if you use significantly less than 400 Mb per month True connect will come out cheaper for you. Above that and you'll clearly be cheaper with the flat $20 for your monthly Gigabyte.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the Truconnect info. Sounds ideal for me. Before I got my sgp5 I was only using 200-300mb per month with my unlimited VM plan... I use less now. I pretty much use wifi whenever I can.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Thanks for the Truconnect info. Sounds ideal for me. Before I got my sgp5 I was only using 200-300mb per month with my unlimited VM plan... I use less now. I pretty much use wifi whenever I can.
Just remember that talk time (over GrooVe IP) will now also be data usage where voice and data were separate on your old VM plan. I don't talk a lot but VOIP talk time doesn't seem to add up very fast.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Nice. Have you seen/tried any WP7 themes for it? I need to get Launcher 7 or a WP7 theme for another launcher on here eventually, if only for the novelty.
Nope,I've never been a fan of the Metro UI on WP7 lol

I even use Go Keyboard and also Go Locker,although the Google's Android Market says that its not compatible,I used App Planet to get Go Locker instead and it works fine.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:00 AM

I used (and loved) launcher pro, but recently switched to zeam, witch has much less features, but has the same basic feel and look. It also is much more smooth and responsive (very light on ram usage).

Old 01-14-2012, 01:07 PM

I also use GO Notifications which also says not compatible... developer sent me link to .apk and works fine. All I wanted was K9 unread in my dock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
Nope,I've never been a fan of the Metro UI on WP7 lol

I even use Go Keyboard and also Go Locker,although the Google's Android Market says that its not compatible,I used App Planet to get Go Locker instead and it works fine.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 PM

My SGP is close to replacing my PSP 2000 for emulation purposes. Well the PSP has its own games that I love,but I got all the GBC,GBA,NES,SNES,Genesis and PS1 games that I used to play on the PSP to play fine using various apps on the SGP

I'd rather carry games on the 32GB MicroSD card inside the SGP instead of the 8GB Memory Stick Pro Duo card inside the PSP that I'm too lazy to upgrade,a 32GB MS Pro Duo card STILL costs $80 and the price is no longer dropping lol

Last edited by Lagoo56; 01-15-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimaniac View Post
I used (and loved) launcher pro, but recently switched to zeam, witch has much less features, but has the same basic feel and look. It also is much more smooth and responsive (very light on ram usage).

how did you get it to work market says not compatible

Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM

You go to the developers site to see if there's an .apk there, if not search for it. Or email the developer from the contact link and he should send you a link to it. Just put it on your card and click it. It will install just like going it from the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
how did you get it to work market says not compatible

Old 01-24-2012, 08:51 AM

sweet I found a copy on rapidshare and it stalled and worked just fine so I don't know what android market's problem is with the galaxy player