android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy Player Series

Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM

You've had Truconnect a few weeks now, how's it working out? Getting real close to buying this thing. Plan on just leaving it my car, pretty much the only time I don't have wifi. Do you really see a need for keeping a phone? Does it have an app that shows what you're using real time?

So you can confirm it's $5.00 plus .039 per mb (the $5 can not be used for usage), this does not agree with an article I read about, but that was a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulberrySGP5 View Post
Good comments regarding the TruConnect prepaid plans, I agree with all especially that it is not for everyone as the data charges could defeat my purpose. For example, I need to pay attention not to leave the little bugger turned on at home. Once when I turned on the SGP5 it's wifi connected to the TruConnect instead of my house wifi!

I haven't traveled yet with it but around town here I mostly use non-data intensive apps and I find the charges very reasonable. For example, 4 cents if I go check weather, road traffic and emails. I use Skype video calls from home a lot and they are a real data gobbler so would never use mifi for that unless something really special and I would keep it brief.

Re: $5/month, it is just for the privilege of having the network available when you need it, then data is charged at 3.9 cents per MB. And yes, it is the Sprint network. Coverage has been good around everywhere I go (Seattle area) but haven't taken it traveling yet. TruConnect has a "no-questions asked return policy". My plan is to inactivate the plan if it turns out that I don't use it around home for months on end and then reactivate when I travel. Especially if they jack up the $5/month.

Re: battery life. I haven't tested exhaustively but seems very adequate similar to a cell phone. I got over 6 1/2 hours on standby (had to push the power button every 1/2 hour to keep it awake). Talktime varies depending on signal strength/distance from cell towers as I understand it. I bought a spare battery for under $5 so if it goes dead I can pop in the backup.
It recharges to full in less than an hour. I wish it had a battery-level meter but carrying the extra battery is no problem.

(GrooveIP works great but I still carry my little $7/month Tracfone for emergencies)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
So you can confirm it's $5.00 plus .039 per mb (the $5 can not be used for usage), this does not agree with an article I read about, but that was a while back.
I've had mine for about a week and I've been charged $3.90 for 100Mb of usage. So yes, it's 0.039 cents per Mb. It's confusing to me since on the TruConnect site it says it's 3.9 cents per Mb. At this point, I wouldn't change the $10.00 top-off amount that's automatically charged to something higher since it's non-refundable.

tcat, I believe that you had mentioned in a previous post about speed tests. Does this have to do with using an app like SpeedTest to test how fast the connection speed is? My linkspeed using MiFi is 54Mbps, but when I use SpeedTest to test it, I get very low test results. Not sure what I may be doing wrong.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:36 PM

Yes, Speedtest speeds (from your SGP). 54Mbps seems really fast, I didn't think a 3G network would be faster than 2-3Mbps. I typically get 600-900kbps on my VM network.

You have to top off $10 per month, or can you top off $5 per month, or just top off as needed? So the least you can buy are 100mb chunks? So that would be $8.90 with the $5 fee? I could see not even using 50mb, so is it possible to have a $6.95 monthly bill? Or if you use zero, a $5 bill?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic View Post
I've had mine for about a week and I've been charged $3.90 for 100Mb of usage. So yes, it's 0.039 cents per Mb. It's confusing to me since on the TruConnect site it says it's 3.9 cents per Mb.
100 mb usage and you were charged $3.90. That is exactly 3.9 cents per mb or 0.039 dollars ($0.039) You were charged correctly and exactly at the rate the website states.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 PM

One thing that is a little annoying is that you don't seem to be able to charge the WiFi2200 without it being on. Leaves open the possibility of accidentally connecting to it instead of the home WiFi if the device is charging and you are not paying close attention. I found an app (SSID Notify) that will let me put different icon in the notification bar depending on which network you are connected to. This helps, but it would be nice if you could just have it off when charging if you wanted.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 PM

My plan is to leave it in my car full time. Just charge it with the car charger. Is it also micro USB?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 AM

Yes, in fact the power cord for the WiFi2200 DOES charge the SGP5. So it is a cross compatibility win.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:29 PM

Default Truconnect Mifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
You've had Truconnect a few weeks now, how's it working out? Getting real close to buying this thing. Plan on just leaving it my car, pretty much the only time I don't have wifi. Do you really see a need for keeping a phone? Does it have an app that shows what you're using real time?

The $5 can't be used for data charges i.e. it is purely for the privilege of having the cellular network available for your usage whether you use it or not. Think of it as a cover charge, and all you do is go in and watch but don't dance :>)

The Mifi2200 has been working just fine. We had a power outage for a bit here and it was reassuring to know that I had it available if I wanted to check any news on the web etc. Power came back up soon so didn't need it.

Regarding the cell phone, yes, I will keep my little cell phone (Tracfone $7 per month) because it is much faster when time is of the essence although for longer calls, say from a restaurant, I might opt for GrooveIP or Skype to make a call.

Also in regard to a real time data usage monitor, Truconnect doesn't come with one specifically that you can watch on your android device so I downloaded a free app and compared the Megabytes charged to my Truconnect website account (which you can access any time of course to see your charges but they lag behind maybe an hour or so sometimes I think). The charges were point on, exactly what I show on my app on the sgp5. The free app is DataCounter Widget V1.5.7 (can't vouch for the Pro version, haven't tried it). They round up the megabytes charged but that had insignificant impact on my charges.

Look forward to hearing more of everyone's comments and happy to hear that the charger for the Mifi2200 will charge the sgp5, I hadn't had the guts to try it yet.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
sweet I found a copy on rapidshare and it stalled and worked just fine so I don't know what android market's problem is with the galaxy player
Some apps are coded to look for the model of device and if it doesn't recognize the model of the device the installer comes with the unsupported message which it passes to the Market to display.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:42 AM

I bought A GTab 7.0 and returned it for the 5.0 player. I didn't like the 'tablet' interface, or the larger size. I still wanted a hand (as in one) held device and one that had an interface like a phone. And that's what I got with the 5.0. As a bonus the battery life is much better on this Wifi only device compared to my phones.

The Wifi reception is not as good as what was on the GTab 7 but it's a little better than on my Droid Charge.

SQ is not as good as on the Charge/Fascinate (or of the Sansa players) but it's not bad either.

In short I really enjoy it and don't regret the purchase at all.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezas View Post
Some apps are coded to look for the model of device and if it doesn't recognize the model of the device the installer comes with the unsupported message which it passes to the Market to display.
Elaborating... I believe that this is because the developers want to try to mitigate people saying "THIS DOESN'T WORK RAWR" because an app was developed for a device with higher capabilities.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 AM

Many have a cell radio permission, I wonder if that's what make some unsupported. I've found that any I apk's I find at Mediafire work fine, but won't be recognized or updated at the Market. No biggie, just search for a newer update later.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:59 PM

I use 3G Watchdog to keep track of my data usage on TruConnect and a good thing too, I'm using alot more mb than I thought I would. One thing I don't like about TruConnect's plan is that when my account is deactivated for a time, any credits/money on my account expires after 60 days if not reactivated and it's my loss and their profit. The time limit should be no less than 120 days, IMO.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 PM

Default Fire up the mifi talk again please

Hello, I'm looking to get a hot spot, and I read all the discusions on here so far about what people do. I am looking to see if we can get another discusion again to see if there is new info about what people are doing to get wifi on there SGP's. I am not sure about the truconnect thing, it doesn't seem like a good deal, I'll probably need 3-5 gigs a month. I did just get back from t-mobile, they have a hotspot you have to buy for $175 and then get a monthly plan ranging from 1.5 GB for $25, 3.5 GB for $35, and 5 GB for $50. I guess I can do the $35-$50 thing a month for 3.5 - 5 GB of 4G compared to truconnect 3G. My question is does anyone know of a cheaper way I can get wifi other than free hotspots. I need to buy my own because my work doesn't offer wifi, and I want to get on the internet on my SGP. So, any help from people and their wifi/monthly service plans-set ups are appreciated, thanks.