android
Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 AM

Help Does the clip+ or clip zip last longer with rockbox?

Hi!

I am interested in buying a sansa clip+ or a sansa clip zip. The only thing that bothers me is the poor reliability of both devices. A lot of amazon reviews says that their clip+ or clip zip stopped working all of a sudden.

I don't know if it is a software or a hardware issue. So does anyone have had any problems with a rockboxed clip+ or a rockboxed clip zip? Does a rockboxed clip+ last longer than a clip+ (with the original firmware)?

I love rockbox! I used it on my ipod nano 1st gen and I also want to use it on my new mp3-player.

I hope somebody can give me an answer

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I think you should stop reading Amazon reviews and start reading the Clip section here at ABi. While there are a number of problems reported, bear in mine that people who have problems are more likely to post than people who are happy with the product.

My original Clip bought in 2007 is still working fine. As is the one bought in 2009, the Clip+ received at Xmas 2009, and the Clip Zip received at Xmas 2011.

One common problem is missing songs caused by use of the USB setting Autodetect (we call it Autodefect). You should pick MSC or MTP and stick to it. I know that this has frustrated some users.

I doubt that the players last longer if you are using Rockbox. In fact they might last a shorter time. Why? Because there is more stuff (like games) in Rockbox than the original firmware, so some people may spend more time handling the player, thus wearing out parts (eg the touch pad) sooner, or maybe being more likely to drop the player. But I haven't noticed any sign of that.

Steve

Old 01-26-2012, 12:41 PM

Love the title ... I know I "last longer with rockbox"

IMHO it does last longer if you just use for music playback. I think this because previous tests (read around the rockbox forums) and you can tweak out all the needless crap that wastes battery life on the original firmware.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

I got about 4 hours longer with the same playlist in rockbox verses the Sandisk software on the clip+.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floweb View Post
I am interested in buying a sansa clip+ or a sansa clip zip. The only thing that bothers me is the poor reliability of both devices.
I bought a SanDisk Clip+ in 2010. It is reliable.
Quote:
A lot of amazon reviews says that their clip+ or clip zip stopped working all of a sudden.
My Clip+ has never stopped working all of a sudden.
Quote:
I don't know if it is a software or a hardware issue.
Perhaps user error, rough handling, or just a lemon.
Quote:
So does anyone have had any problems with a rockboxed clip+ or a rockboxed clip zip?
I have no problems with my rockboxed Clip+.
Quote:
Does a rockboxed clip+ last longer than a clip+ (with the original firmware)?
I think it might. Rockbox seems to provide longer battery runtimes. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaRuntime#Results.

Less charging means that the battery might last longer—uses up cycles at a lower rate for cycle durability.
Quote:
I love rockbox! I used it on my ipod nano 1st gen and I also want to use it on my new mp3-player.
Then I see no reason why you should not buy a Clip+ and rockbox it.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:43 PM

Forgot to answer your other stuff, I’ve bought both new and refurbished clips and never had a problem that I couldn’t work out. They’re all still running after years, IIRC the oldest is around 3 years. I’ve gotten more than my moneys worth out of them ... Very good little players and rockbox does make them great

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A simple solution for a frozen Clip is a quick reset. Easy to do and often fixes an occasional glitch.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Wow, thank you all for your answers! These were very helpful!

I am definitely gonna buy a clip+ or a clip zip

Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Rockbox Developer

When I read the title I thought "last longer in bed"