android
Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Default NWZ-S765, How do I select all music files

I use my Walkman for both music and audiobooks. The 'Media Go' program has individual folders for Music and Audiobooks, but the Walkman has a single 'All Songs' folder that contains both my music files and the spoken files. This pretty much kills shuffle stone dead. I can't believe that Sony shipped this player with such a killer fault.

Does anyone have a solution to the problem? The only one I can think of is changing all my music files to the same genre and then select them in the genre folder, but I'd rather not use such a sledgehammer.

Last edited by you_what; 02-17-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you_what View Post
I use my Walkman for both music and audiobooks. The 'Media Go' program has individual folders for Music and Audiobooks, but the Walkman has a single 'All Songs' folder that contains both my music files and the spoken files. This pretty much kills shuffle stone dead. I can't believe that Sony shipped this player with such a killer fault.

Does anyone have a solution to the problem? The only one I can think of is changing all my music files to the same genre and then select them in the genre folder, but I'd rather not use such a sledgehammer.
You mentioned you're using Media Go to manage your audio collection. One option is to tag your music files with a "Music" tag, make a view (the Media Go version of autoplaylists) based on this, and then load the view on your player. You can do this by doing the following:

- Selecting the appropriate track(s) and then right click on them.

- Select "Properties" from the Right-Click Menu. This will bring up an Audio Properties Dialog Box.

- Click on the "Tags" tab.

- In the "Enter tags:" box enter "Music" and then click on the "Add" button. This will add a "Music" tag to the selected files.

- When you've finished tagging your files as "Music", make a view of all of the tracks you tagged as "Music." When creating the view, you may have to select "Custom" for the view type.

At this point, you can sync the view to your player. It will create a playlist on your player that contains only those tracks that you've tagged as Music.

You can also make a regular playlist and copy the tracks from the view into that playlist and then send the playlist to your player. I prefer this option since it doesn't require me to sync my player with Media Go.

When I was using Media Go to manage the music on my player, I not only tagged some tracks as "Music" but I also tagged some tracks as "Instrumentals" to allow me to listen to only instrumentals on my player.

I now use MediaMonkey to manage the tracks on my player, but I've carried this over and used the "Grouping" tag to create autoplaylists of tracks that are music, instruments, and humorous (of tracks that are humorous whether or not they are in the comedy genre, such as some of Jerry Reed's songs).

I hope this helps.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM

Thanks for your detailed reply, I appreciate the time you've taken.

As you suggested, 'View' seems like a better option, and I've been able to set up a view without tagging the files, but it still does the filtering on the PC rather than the Walkman. I'd hoped that Syncing would just move the filter, but it tried to move all the files, and I've got more than the player can hold. I wanted to move selected music onto the Walkman until it was full, and then view only the music that was there (excluding my French tuition files). It seems like basic functionality to me, and I still can't believe that Sony doesn't allow this. This Walkman sounds better, but my 5 year old iPod nano was much better in every other way.

The View I've decided on is <Music AND ( Norating OR GR 3*)>. None of my music was rated, so I just need to rate the music I want to exclude, but rating all the files I want to exclude (at 3*) is going to take a lot of work. I'm not happy with Mr. Sony.

I also use MediaMonkey, but I use it for FLAC files I play through my stereo system. I keep my lossy iPod files in a separate iTunes library, and I've set up Media Go to look at this existing library.

But, all in all, it's still a very poor work-around for a major Walkman fault.

Last edited by you_what; 02-19-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 PM

I haven't had a problem with rating my music since that's how I control what's loaded on my player, no matter which program I'm using. Any track rated 3 or higher is loaded on my player. To refine it further, I've recently taken to using the following ratings:

5 Stars = A favorite
4 Stars = A track that's not a favorite but one I always want on my player
3 Stars = A track that I currently want on my player
2 Stars = A track that I once had on my player but I've removed
1 Star = A track that I don't want on my player
0 Stars = New track(s) that I need to evaluate

I don't view the inability to separate music from non-music tracks on the player via the user interface as a problem. A combination of tagging and autoplaylists allow me to access and organize my tracks any way that I need to.

As an example, I had an issue similar to yours concerning instrumentals. By adding an instrumental tag to the appropriate tracks combined with an autoplaylist that lists only rated tracks with an instrumental tag, I can listen to only instrumentals on my player. In the same way, I'm able to separate tracks on my player by genre, mood, and whether or not they are a parody.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Tags
all songs, nwz-s765