android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Site Related > MP3 Player News

Old 11-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Why do you even bother making fun of that player? It's like making fun of a quadriplegic retard who things he's the king of the twin universe. That's just evil of you!
I don’t think so; mainly the uneducated make fun of people with disabilities, I don’t see the correlation and that’s just wrong. Think about it, there are plenty of people who buy this crap thinking they’re getting something better when it’s far from the truth and mainly just hype fueled by the sites that censor negative posts in their quest of the almighty ad buck $$$.

Quote:
… if it's more than $50 it's overpriced anyway
While I agree in regards to this player, there are plenty of good players that spending over $50.00 on are more than justified.

Quote:
Everyone with a slice of a brain knows what it is. There really is no need to flame about it. …
While some of posts may be considered flame or posted for a good laugh, I think the people reading this get the idea that there’s just too many snake oil vendors in this business and IMHO these posts are justified ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-22-2012, 09:39 AM

Where can you find a tetraplegic?

Where you left him.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I don’t think so; mainly the uneducated make fun of people with disabilities, I don’t see the correlation and that’s just wrong. Think about it, there are plenty of people who buy this crap thinking they’re getting something better when it’s far from the truth and mainly just hype fueled by the sites that censor negative posts in their quest of the almighty ad buck $$$.

While I agree in regards to this player, there are plenty of good players that spending over $50.00 on are more than justified.

While some of posts may be considered flame or posted for a good laugh, I think the people reading this get the idea that there’s just too many snake oil vendors in this business and IMHO these posts are justified ...
Yeah I only meant that overpricing in regards to this player.

By the way there's one very similar player - Hippo Biscuit, for $99. Also display-less, WAV-only, said to have great SQ. I wonder if it's not the same thing inside. I also wonder if it's not the same thing like a $5 player from ebay inside Ah wait, it can't. The ebay players play mp3

Still, I think it's useless to even bother saying this player is silly. I mean, if someone really wants to believe it's so good and want to buy it, they'll buy it anyway regardless what other people tell them. They even may be happy with it for what we know

Now if it would cost $200, that I'd call evil because then even some reasonable people may think about it for more than 2 seconds.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sansa clip line,...enough said!!!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
All my "inflammatory" posts got deleted from the head-fi thread,...censoring Nazis!!!
I hear ya!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 AM

http://www.head-fi.org/t/599685/altm...0#post_8905834

Quote:
If a Tera Player skeptic with a reputable track record and suitable equipment for RMAA would like to borrow my TP to assess it's measurements, please PM me and we can discuss how to best do this. But even if the `scientific' quantitative test results suck I don't care, as I trust my ears and they're enveloped in sonic bliss every time that the Tera Player sings!
Any takers?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post
My current laptop (my desktop is DOA) can't do the testing,...

Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Administrator

@skamp: I thought you had concluded your setup was sufficient for proper RMAA results http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=94673 I didn't track on all of the back and forth so I can't be sure what your final conclusion was.

Personally i doubt it would make much difference to the ones that are buying this player. The "I only trust my ears" sentiment is so strong that whatever the results they'll look at the price and still let that convince them the TP is better. They'll continue to believe what they do regardless of any objective measurements.

From the same poster that makes the offer to allow testing:
Quote:
But even if the `scientific' quantitative test results suck I don't care, as I trust my ears and they're enveloped in sonic bliss every time that the Tera Player sings!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
@skamp: I thought you had concluded your setup was sufficient for proper RMAA results
My setup is good enough to measure iPods and stuff, but not ODAC-grade hardware. I pointed that out in the head-fi thread for the sake of transparency. I offered the guy to do it, and linked him to my eBay profile so that he can assess how trustworthy I am to ship it back, to a point. I'm a bit skeptical that it will happen though - call me a pessimist!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Administrator

If your setup isn't up to it, it isn't. I seriously doubt results using God's own sound card would make a difference to the "I only trust my ears" people anyway.

If the results weren't great it would be like when the measurements of the HM 801 demonstrated it isn't capable of producing a clean signal. They would then say they preferred the rolled off sound because it was more analog sounding.

If the results show it's producing a clean signal they would just say "told ya so!". Inventing some other reason that one clean signal is different from the next would then be easy for someone that wants to justify the price, lack of codec support and a usable UI .

Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If your setup isn't up to it, it isn't.
FWIW, I just advised him to contact NwAvGuy
I wonder what he's doing these days, btw? No new blog entry since last May.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just find it pathetic how some of the members on head-fi need to make a personal attack. It makes it hard to have a valid conversation. And attacking dfkt? Lol!!! Now that's a moronic azzhole right there.

As mentioned, no matter what the test results would be, the "I can hear it's better so it is" crowd would never accept the outcome. If it did measure wonderfully it would only benefit them. I honestly believe it's been tested & failed miserably.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 PM

I recently joined online forums and I was wondering is there a single objective review on head-fi? There is just so much BS everywhere.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihaitachi View Post
I recently joined online forums and I was wondering is there a single objective review on head-fi? There is just so much BS everywhere.
No!!!

Old 03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchihaitachi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
No!!!
Especially not in regards to the Tera Player.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:13 PM

When things are expensive, people tend to justify their purchases using any means possible.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:21 AM

Partial RMAA measurements of the Tera Player, by its designer:
http://www.tera-player.com/Tera-Player_RMAA.html

Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Looks like exactly the type of thing NwAvGuy was talking about when he said it's possible to do a RMAA test and have the results not mean anything or be misleading. Unless I'm missing something I don't see a load mentioned anywhere in his testing chain. That makes this not mean anything to anyone that actually plans on using any of these with headphones.

That Touch measurement is just weird. I've seen properly done measurements on the Touch 4G that says it produces as clean a signal as any other quality player. No idea what the heck he was doing to get those type results. He says it's possible his is defective in some way. Maybe that's it.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post
Partial RMAA measurements of the Tera Player, by its designer:
http://www.tera-player.com/Tera-Player_RMAA.html
Nothing there that would convince me to buy one...

Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Head-fi.org is a sad sad place. I never knew such a large horde of morons could exist... But the earphone reviews can't be that off can they?!