android
Old 02-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Default What keyboard are you using on your SGP?

I started out using Swype. I really wanted it to work. But regardless of what options I enabled or disabled, the predictive text drove me nuts. Invariably when I made a mistake (or the predictive engine made a mistake) and I needed to backspace, it would add the mistaken text to the RIGHT of my cursor! Any attempts to delete the dangling attached errors would just compound the problem and I'd end up with 2, 3, 4 versions of the "mistake text" stuck to the right of my cursor!

Finally I just quit using Swype and reverted to the stock keyboard. Which is marginally better. But it lacks haptic feedback and the predictive text on this is really stupid. It constantly chooses the wrong words for me...it actually enters the wrong word after I have typed exactly what I want...I then have to go to the highlighted options to select what I already typed in the first place! Also, it doesn't understand that the contraction for " I am" is "I'm". Not an option. Also, even though I try to add "I'm" to the dictionary, it won't accept it! Even if it doesn't change the text on me, the predictive aspect really just sucks. it usually requires all but the last letter or two to be typed before it can even begin to approximate anything approaching correct. And it's not "learning over the last month either.

I'm pretty frustrated. Any other options out there that folks could recommend that won't leave me frustrated as described above? Are you guys having problems with the stock keyboard as well?
Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-14-2012, 04:24 PM

I use Go Keyboard,it works well for me,although I turned off key correction,punctuation suggestions and auto complete,pretty much everything so it operates as a regular keyboard and I like the themes for it.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My Samsung keyboard has haptic feedback. And I disabled Swype.....not into that.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:51 PM

I like Swype reasonably well. I have had some of the problems that Blackdog mentioned. You just have to get used to watching the line above the keyboard that shows what predictive is trying to do and add things to your dictionary pretty often at first. Swype does pretty well most of the time with its prediction. Not sure I use "I'm" that often but it does surprisingly well with apostrophes and other punctuation most of the time. Is it frustrating sometimes? Well yeah, but I sometimes get frustrated trying to type on my PC keyboard.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 PM

I installed Hackers Keyboard and FlexT9. I use FlexT9 most of the time for emails etc. because it has speech to text and I'm lazy. I like the Hackers Keyboard but it takes up to much screen room on the GP5 that I mostly use it with larger tablets (just barely makes it with a 7 incher but nice with the 8 and 10s)

Regards - John

Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 PM

I usually use Swype, and it worked great at first, but after that, it stopped predicting well. Probably me just being sloppy with the keyboard, but it's still fine. I find it most annoying when typing something irregular, such as an email address or a few words in another language.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM

I'm using SwiftKey X. Not free but I picked mine up when Google had their 10 cent Android Market sale a few months back. The neat thing about it is that not only does it's predictive engine learn from what you type but you can also give it a head start by allowing it to scan through your Twitter, Gmail and Facebook accounts (full disclosure, I didn't do that but I appreciate the option.)

Once you get going it is pretty good about figuring out what you want to say next. It is downright creepy sometimes. It does have a haptic feedback option but I turned it off.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 PM

I use the Swype keyboard and ignore the predictive text and I have not really had a problem. I tried the stock keyboard but it did not have the same haptic feedback (if it had any at all) as Swype does and I like the feel that I have touched the key that I want. I use it strictly as a regular keyboard, letter by letter, and I don't "swype".

Old 02-15-2012, 08:10 AM

I'm trying Swiftkey. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 AM

GO Keyboard is pretty great and it's free.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

FWIW graffiti is also available. (Where you draw the characters with your finger or stylus) I find that interface pretty nice also.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:03 PM

So far Swiftkley seems really good. Worth 4 bucks.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
So far Swiftkley seems really good. Worth 4 bucks.
4 bucks... it better be amazing! I can't imagine needing more than GO Keyboard and it's free.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:42 PM

SlideIT Keyboard - I am testing it at the moment. So far happy with it.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Still using Swype, I type 3X faster with it than any others. Seldom gives me wrong output. You just have to figure out how it thinks and press the right word if it looks like it's going to do something wrong. Its so much easier to fix an error on my SGP5 than on my Optimus-V. On the V it doesn't even give you the sliding tick thing to easily move to the letter you want to correct. I have all the others from free Amazon apps, but have not even tried them on my Player.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:46 PM

Yeah- with Swype on my SGP 5.0, any deleted text or mistakes get "attached" to the RIGHT of my cursor and any attempt to delete THAT ends up with the error being duplicated....sometimes 3 or 4 or 5 copies of the bad text. Totally buggy.

Anyway, the fiasco continues as I am now the owner of $4 useless Swiftkey which does not work in landscape mode for the standard/stock Samsung email client app. Swiftkey gave me a stock email response. Checking their webpage errors reports I see several users complaining about various problems with Swiftkey on Samsung Galxy devices. Here's my statement of my problem to them:

On Samsung Galaxy Player, Gingerbread 3.5.0, there are some REAL problems in landscape mode! In gmail, the problems do not appear to be that serious- (however gmail does not give me Contacts, so that's pretty useless.)

First, there is almost no text-field real estate to actually see the text I'm typing. Within the narrow slice of visible text field, the cursor is usually not even visible. I have to scroll up or down to find the cursor and text...and then do it again in
a few seconds.
The REAL issue is that after I type a line of text and
hit ENTER, it disappears! Each line is apparently deleted when ENTER is hit and I go on to the next line. When I scroll up to view what might be at the top of the text field, I see a long series of
"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX". When I go back to portrait mode, this
"XXXXXXXXXXXX" text is not visible.
If I go back to landscape mode and type something, I can't see the text at all. And now there are more"XXXXXXXXXXX" at the top. It also partially deletes my signature line at the bottom and the cursor is down in the signature line with no prompting from me. It's just absolutely useless to work in landscape mode. It should be clear that landscape is the preferred mode when doing a significant amount of typing, Obviously this is a major flaw. I feel like I spend the money for something that is completely broken.

So, I'm still looking for something other than Samsung keyboard, or Swype. Looks like I'll try GoKeyboard next. Unbelievable...feel like I'm beta-testing.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Go Keyboard looking very, very good. Should have tried this first. Lots of options and controls. Seems tight. Works on the SGP in landscape mode! Many downloadable "themes" available if that seems important to you.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:47 PM

Yeah, GO Keyboard is pretty great. :-)

Sorry about you losing the 4 bucks, but everyone has bought an app they regret at some point. And at least it's just 4 bucks. No biggie.

Also, you should try to get a refund. You have a legit reason for one!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 PM

I just came across a keyboard that is very much like a real computer keyboard - letters and numbers on the same keyboard display along with punctuation with the shift key. It is called Hacker's Keyboard and is available at the Market for free. It is not fancy but it has settings for vibration feedback and various other features. It is worth checking out. I just downloaded it and am trying it out.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Email back from Swiftkey tech team said they have had major problems with the complexity of Samsung's native email client app and are continuing to try to remedy it. However, the only help I got was that they recommended that I get another email client.
I like GoKeyboard and I don't think I'm going to go back to Swiftkey. Live and learn.