android
Old 03-17-2007, 06:12 AM

Default Working SonicStage alternative for NW-S series

Finally after few days of googling I found a working and a much more pleasant to deal with alternative for Sonyís unfortunate (and persistent) SonicStage venture...

This is a tiny plug-in for WinApm that is much more user friendly, stable and compatible with music library organized with WMP-11.

According to the author it works with both protected and unprotected players. I can only confirm that it works with my NW-S205F. As far as I know this is the only alternative to SS, excluding File Manager that only work with NW-E series.

So, here is what you need to do:

Step 1: Download and install free Winapm player.
Run it and let is import all your music info. It does not copy files, just creates a database. Close Winapm after importing it done. Make sure you EXIT before moving on.

Step 2: Download ML_sony, a tiny plug-in for Winapm.

Somehow forum restriction won't allow me to post direct link to the file, so google "ML_sony" and link to the file should be in top 3 results. Its part of soundforge projects. ML_sony is a tiny (49K) zip file with text instruction and a DLL file needed for the plug-in to work.

Step 3: Setup your Walkman to work with ml_sony plug-in
Connect your NW-S series player to your PC. Open the Walkman storage drive (in my case drive J. You will notice two folders under this drive - "NWWM" and "OMGAUDIO". The latter contains your music files already transferred to your walkman through SonicStage assuming that's what you have been using. Backup your "OMGAUDIO" folder in case you need to revert back to the original settings (I just created "copy of OMGAUDIO" folder in the same walkman drive and copied everything from "OMGAUDIO" to this backup folder). Then, delete the original "OMGAUDIO" folder. Create a new folder. Name is "OMGAUDIO". Enter the newly created "OMGAUDIO" folder. Leave this window open.

Step 4: Launch Notepad application from start menu. Go to file > Save > Browse to the newly created "OMWAUDIO" folder under the walkman drive > In file name field type 04CNTINF.DAT and click save.

Step 5: For unprotected players (those that accept playback of unprotected music files [example mp3's]) launch notepad once again. Click File > Save As > Browse to the same "OMGAUDIO" folder mentioned above > in file name field type NOCODE.TXT then click Save.

Step 6: Copy ml_sony.dll file (contained in ml_sony.zip) and paste it to ProgramFiles/Winamp/Plugins directory

Step 7: Walkman still connected to your PC run Winapm. In my case it asked if it could manage Walkman Media Device. I clicked yes. It then appeared on list of media sources in Winapm library window. From this point on itís a matter of selecting songs/playlists already imported into Winapm and sending them to Sony Walkman Drive. (this drive is also likely to appear as a USB-drive location. Make sure you send it to the one with Sony Walkman label). After all your files are sent, click on the Sony Walkman under devices list in the same window and click APPLY.

That's it. I have been using it for few days now. Works like a charm for me. Hope this alternative suits your needs as well.

A quick note: I am a user of intermediate PC skills. Therefore, I cannot guarantee this will work for you, nor can be held liable for any outcome of above mentioned instructions. So, make sure you backup your original OMGAUDIO folder in case this solution does not work for you.
Good luck and hopefully Sony will come in terms with its customers after witnessing our tireless efforts in bypassing SS

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-14-2007, 07:12 PM

Thanks for alternative. SonicStage only works on two of three XP PCs for me.

BTW, I have been using a small Java app on my NW-E005F. It has worked solidly for me and fits entirely on my player. Here is the link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nwe00xmp3man/

It is open source and has a very small footprint unless you want to add audio conversion capability to the application. You copy the files to your player and you can run this from Macs, Linux, Windows, wherever you have a Java engine. The audio conversion uses ffmpeg.exe to convert audio if you so choose.

It has been very stable for me. The only issues I have run into have been related to the partial MP3 support of the NW-E005. The player does not support all bitrates and all sampling rates, so you need to convert files (mostly audiobooks) to a standard format. This software even though Java runs much faster getting audio to my player than SonicStage.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:27 AM

IpaqMan, can you please help me with the Java solution you found. I downloaded the file from the website you reference, but there are no instructions on how to install or use it, and I have no idea what to do with it. Can you help, please?

Old 04-24-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork2win View Post
IpaqMan, can you please help me with the Java solution you found. I downloaded the file from the website you reference, but there are no instructions on how to install or use it, and I have no idea what to do with it. Can you help, please?
As I remember it, you copy the jar file to the root directory of the Sony along with FFMPEG file and the OMGAUDIO directory from the zip file. You can have two OMGAUDIO directories but you have to keep renaming them (one for the Java app and one for Sonic Stage). To operate, you double click the Java app. Then you select files to download and then press the diskette symbol at the bottom right to WRITE the audio to the Sony.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 PM

'voidMP3FM' was the solution for me..

Right years ago I got the Sony NW-E005, Soundstage was a horror story and I found this awesome and simple freeware: it stopped working when I upgraded to Vista but seems to work for me now I'm on Windows 7!

The voidMP3FM website is down at the moment so I've hotfiled it for anyone struggling to access it...hope it works for you...

Last edited by skip252; 02-07-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: link to unknown software removed

Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Welcome to ABi

I've removed the link to the software mentioned. I've no idea what it contains and see it posted in several other places in a google search. If someone needs it they can find it elsewhere.

This thread is several years old and anyone who still needs a Sonicstage alternative should have found it by now. Please notice the date on any other threads before you post in them. If there is other information you wish to relate open a new thread rather than opening one this old.

Also please check the last time the last poster was active. You can do that by clicking one the members name in the post and looking at their public profile. If someone hasn't been here for an extended period of time and doesn't have email notification setup then it's unlikely they will ever see your response.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Heh, another NecroThread-mancer,...nice one!!!