android
Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 PM

Default Increasing Battery Time?

hi...

is there a way to increase the battery time on SMP 5.0? I've lowered the screen brightness and keep closing the programs that i'm not using but still i feel that the battery time is low oh and i'm also using wifi on it as well...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2012, 05:21 PM

There is a thread on that here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=66131
But you are on the right track with most of what you are doing. Programs may be "open" in the background without sucking battery, so closing some things doesn't help much. You may want to check and see what is using battery after some time unplugged to see what is actually using battery that you can shut down. (Menu>Settings>About Device>Battery Use

Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

About how much time do you get? Using it 50/50 media and wifi/gaming, I never dip below 40% before I go to sleep and plug it in. I recommend elixir 2 and Android Assistant as two good battery monitor/management apps. I would also stay away from apps that tout better battery life.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM

cputuner to control scaling, turn off/on airplane mode, etc.; tegrak to undervolt it; gemini app manager for blocking apps from starting automatically and running in the background

It was awhile ago now, but I think I used to lose about 10% overnight, maybe a bit more, on my 4.0. Now if I pull it off the charger a few hours before bed, I wake up to see it still at 100%. The difference is drastic. I get better battery life despite having it overclocked to 1.3ghz (which has higher core and internal voltages than the default at 1.0ghz).

Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 PM

I power down my SGP 5 completely when I am not using it. There is no real reason to keep it on if you are not using it. Power on takes all of maybe 20 seconds. If you are using it then whatever you are using is consuming battery power and the biggest drain appears to be the display. You have it to use it. Don't worry about having to recharge the battery. Plug it in overnight (power off) and it recharges by the morning.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 PM

I keep my 5.0 in sleep mode whenever I'm not using it,it doesn't even lose any battery life while being in sleep mode so I don't bother fully turning it off unless I'm going to charge it from dead to full. Mine gets two days worth of use,mainly for music and videos and some Zenonia which I have a habit of playing now. I keep the display all the way at 100% all the time,yet still get alot of usage out of this thing. I always clear the ram memory after I'm finished using an app before putting it in sleep mode so it uses no power thus it doesn't lose battery life by being in sleep mode.

Last edited by Lagoo56; 02-24-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 AM

thanks everyone for the suggestions. i'm currently using advanced task killer and have now installed Gemini App Manager as well but CPU tuner is not working, saying that phone has to be rooted for it to work...

Old 02-25-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljan View Post
thanks everyone for the suggestions. i'm currently using advanced task killer and have now installed Gemini App Manager as well but CPU tuner is not working, saying that phone has to be rooted for it to work...
You should probably Superoneclick that sucker

Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
+1 on that, its so easy to root it makes no sense to be part of this forum and not have rooted.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Definitely. It's so easy to root it, why the hell not, even if you don't really plan on using it besides for overclock/underclock reasons.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
+1 on that, its so easy to root it makes no sense to be part of this forum and not have rooted.
I have no idea why people are afraid of rooting and think their devices will brick lol Installing a ROM has a higher chance of bricking a device only IF done wrong and not like the instructions said for it to be installed.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I have no idea why people are afraid of rooting and think their devices will brick lol Installing a ROM has a higher chance of bricking a device only IF done wrong and not like the instructions said for it to be installed.
My 4.0 player was my first android device ever and I had it rooted within a few hours of first unboxing it thanks to this forum. Now as for my new Razr Maxx (have had it a little over 2 days) i'm thinking i'll wait till it gets the ICS update later in the year before I do it, just to make sure there are no major defects with the phone since rooting voids the warranty.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
My 4.0 player was my first android device ever and I had it rooted within a few hours of first unboxing it thanks to this forum. Now as for my new Razr Maxx (have had it a little over 2 days) i'm thinking i'll wait till it gets the ICS update later in the year before I do it, just to make sure there are no major defects with the phone since rooting voids the warranty.
Ah but there is also an unroot button for Superoneclick so the warranty is never really voided

Old 02-26-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam11 View Post
I have the Player 4.0, my first Android device. I was hoping that it could replace my old Palm Zire PDA.

However, on the first day, I noticed that the battery was draining much too quickly, up to 20% usage per hour when browsing the web with Wi-Fi. The battery did not even last the whole day.

At first I thought I had a bad battery, but then I did some research on Android battery management and ran a few tests. With the settings below, I was able to reduce the battery usage down to about 1% per hour on standby.

These settings worked for me, but you should first do a search on "Android battery life" on the web and do your own tests.

My first test was to turn off all non-essential features and measure the resulting battery usage. Here are the settings I used:

Settings > Wireless and Network > Wi-Fi settings.
Wi-Fi off.
Network notification off.

Settings > Wireless and Network > Wi-Fi settings > Menu Button > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy.
When screen turns off.

Settings > Wireless and Network > Bluetooth settings.
Bluetooth off.

Settings > Sound.
Silent mode on.
Vibrate never.
Audible selection off.
Screen lock sounds off.
Haptic feedback off.

Settings > Display > Brightness.
Automatic brightness off.
Slider at lowest setting.

Settings > Display > Animation.
no animation.

Settings > Display > Screen timeout.
1 minute (or less).

Settings > Display.
Power saving mode on.

Settings > Location and security.
Use wireless networks off.
Use GPS satellites off.

Settings > Applications > Samsung Apps.
Notification off.

Settings > Accounts and sync.
Background data off.
Auto sync off.

Settings > Privacy.
Backup my data off.

Task Manager > RAM tab.
Press the Clear memory button.

Wallpaper - Do not use Live Wallpaper.
(Edit: I removed the tip about setting an all-black picture as the wallpaper. That's not necessary for an LCD screen. Thanks electron.)

Internet > Menu button > More > Settings > Enable plug-ins.
On demand. (This turns off Flash. Tap something if you want to see it.)

Install the Power control widget to easily turn Wi-Fi on and off:
Home screen > Menu button > Add > Widgets > Power Control.
No other widgets are installed.

With these settings, the battery usage is reduced to about 1% per hour on standby, and I can then selectively turn on the features I need.

For example, for web browsing, I use the power widget to turn on Wi-Fi.
Before putting it back into standy, I use the Power widget to turn Wi-Fi off, and then the Task Manager to clear memory.

With these settings, I've gotten over 40 hours on standby from one battery charge, with light internet usage.
I turned off everything he lists here except live wallpaper, I also did not clear my memory and went with a low brightness but not all the way down like he said. I also do not have the power control widget, I use battery booster, which can be set to switch into airplane mode on screen lock and my 4.0 has not dropped 1% battery in over 4 hours of the screen being locked doing nothing, will report back in the morning if it loses any over the rest of the night or not.

I think these plus the airplane mode on lock are the biggest help:

Settings > Applications > Samsung Apps.
Notification off.

Settings > Accounts and sync.
Background data off.
Auto sync off.

Settings > Privacy.
Backup my data off.

I use to lose about 1% every hour or so when locked in airplane mode before I made the tweaks above

Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 AM

Why does the 4 show 1% but the 5 shows 5%? Do you get that with 2.3.6?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I just did a little while ago. Learning as I go.....

Old 02-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
Why does the 4 show 1% but the 5 shows 5%? Do you get that with 2.3.6?
don't know, my new Razr showed like 10% increments till it dropped to like 35% then would move in 5% increments, but I put "circle battery widget" on it and it gives me 1% increments.

Well final tally with the settings from before lost 2% worth of battery on my 4.0 over 12-14 hours of just sitting screen locked doing nothing.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
i'm not sure what you mean by that

---------------

what is the advantage of rooting when the player is already doing what i want it to do...

Old 02-26-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
CPU tuner is not working, saying that phone has to be rooted for it to work...
Quote:
what is the advantage of rooting when the player is already doing what i want it to do...
so you installed cpu tuner for no reason, or because you wanted to have an app that doesn't work?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woer View Post
so you installed cpu tuner for no reason, or because you wanted to have an app that doesn't work?
Fascinating question, that......