android
Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljan View Post
i'm not sure what you mean by that

---------------

what is the advantage of rooting when the player is already doing what i want it to do...

That meant to use Superoneclick to root your device,its supersimple to use. Just enable USB Debugging mode then plug the SGP in and press the ROOT button on the Superoneclick application then after that your device has been magically rooted.

There are tons of advantages to rooting your player.I rooted mine out of the box then was able to get rid of the system apps and other unneeded files that I didn't want so I could free up space,its nice to have full control over the entire device. Also rooting allows usage of many different Android apps,like the Market Enabling app which changes the country on your device,enabling you to get Android apps from the market that are exclusive to certain countries or cell phone services. Theres really no reason not to root.

Last edited by Lagoo56; 02-26-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's next on my list....figuring out which ones I don't need and ditching them.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woer View Post
so you installed cpu tuner for no reason, or because you wanted to have an app that doesn't work?
as it was not working, so i un-installed it

Old 02-27-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
That meant to use Superoneclick to root your device,its supersimple to use. Just enable USB Debugging mode then plug the SGP in and press the ROOT button on the Superoneclick application then after that your device has been magically rooted.

There are tons of advantages to rooting your player.I rooted mine out of the box then was able to get rid of the system apps and other unneeded files that I didn't want so I could free up space,its nice to have full control over the entire device. Also rooting allows usage of many different Android apps,like the Market Enabling app which changes the country on your device,enabling you to get Android apps from the market that are exclusive to certain countries or cell phone services. Theres really no reason not to root.

hmm thanks. is Superoneclick available on xda or somewhere else?

Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljan View Post
hmm thanks. is Superoneclick available on xda or somewhere else?
Don't do it! All it takes is removing one wrong thing and the device is useless, as I have discovered.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Don't do it! All it takes is removing one wrong thing and the device is useless, as I have discovered.
Do you know which file your removed that you needed?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

He deleted the touchwiz launcher, which screwed up some of his stuff even though he uses circle launcher. I'm baffled on it, personally lol but he fixed it.

My recommendation is to just do it. If you're wary of accidentally fucking it up, just don't delete anything. Rioting now can save you hassle down the line if you do want to use an app that requires it like cputuner.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
He deleted the touchwiz launcher, which screwed up some of his stuff even though he uses circle launcher. I'm baffled on it, personally lol but he fixed it.

My recommendation is to just do it. If you're wary of accidentally fucking it up, just don't delete anything. Rioting now can save you hassle down the line if you do want to use an app that requires it like cputuner.
Yeah, I kind of over-reacted when I thought I had ruined the player....lol.
What I highlighted here ^^ is the important thing for those of us still learning what to do and not do.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1776 View Post
I power down my SGP 5 completely when I am not using it. There is no real reason to keep it on if you are not using it. Power on takes all of maybe 20 seconds.
My SGP 4 takes over a minute to power up and yet another minute to rescan the libraries.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
My SGP 4 takes over a minute to power up and yet another minute to rescan the libraries.
If you use poweramp, it has its own scanner, so you can add a .nomedia to the folder your music is in and significantly reduce the time it takes to do the library scans at boot (also if you have in folder album art, it block it from showing up in the default photo Gallery). also with the adjustments I copied from the other thread you can almost eliminate (1% every 6-9 hours of Idle) battery drain when your not using it to the point you don't need to shut it off to save battery.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel644 View Post
If you use poweramp, it has its own scanner, so you can add a .nomedia to the folder your music is in and significantly reduce the time it takes to do the library scans at boot (also if you have in folder album art, it block it from showing up in the default photo Gallery). also with the adjustments I copied from the other thread you can almost eliminate (1% every 6-9 hours of Idle) battery drain when your not using it to the point you don't need to shut it off to save battery.
.nomedia makes the original scanner skip, as well.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
It will skip the actual scanning of media but the scanner still fires up for a few seconds even with a .nomedia at the root of the sd card.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I hardly ever turn my 5.0 all the way off. Sleep mode with all apps shut down and RAM cleared, it doesn't seem to lose any battery even overnight. Once I get down below 40% I'll think about charging it.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 PM

there is no TRUE sleep mode on the 4.0 (holding power button gives 3 options airplane mode, silent mode and power off) just sitting with the screen off the 4.0 burns thru about 1% every 60-90 minutes which is why we turn our 4.0s off at night now with klin's kustom rom and the settings I posted about earlier I can reduce it down to 1% every 6-9 hours but its still a battery drain.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 PM

I have followed everything in the instructions but I still seem to lose 1% in battery every 5 minutes and thats with the screen turned off and that is even with kiln's klassic rom which is supposed to be good on battery life. Do I have a defect battery?

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II

Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 PM

^same thing with my 4.0. Even after scaling back the cpu to 400MHz max.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 PM

Or just put all your music in one folder (I have mine in "MP3") and just check that box to scan (PA lets you select folders to scan, as do most players). Same with Gallery, just have it scan "Pictures" or the particular folders you want. My reboot scan takes about 15 seconds.

I'm not rooted, always get 45-55 hours to 5-10%. I have yet to get more than that, doing almost nothing, wifi off from 9:00 PM to 9:00 AM daily. Not nearly as good as my Optimus-V with a battery (and screen) half the size. No complaints though, the 5" screen is well worth losing juice over!

Quote:

Old 03-04-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blcistheking View Post
^same thing with my 4.0. Even after scaling back the cpu to 400MHz max.
When I used setCPU my battery drained like everything was running with the brightness all the way (even tho nothing was running and the screen was off) so I uninstalled it and got my battery life back. that was back on the stock ROM. Also something that atleast to me it appears that if you just flash from one ROM to another the battery doesn't last very well, what I did was flash back to the Stock ROM (from xda) then do a full wipe from the stock recovery (since CWM seems to cause a bootloop on US 4.0 players, as its done to me and a few others on this forum) then after wiping flash Steves kernel, then Klin's ROM

Last edited by Daniel644; 03-04-2012 at 04:08 AM.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 AM

My battery was sitting at 97% before going to bed. After leaving my Samsung Galaxy wifi (Player) 4.0 on "sleep" for 9 hours the battery is now reading 93%. I then played music continuously for 2 hours and now the battery is at 76%. I have wifi switched off and everything else switched off like what the instructions mentioned. this is not acceptable

I am using Audio FX widget with Voodoo Sound plus and PlayerPro for music listening. i am using SteveS kernel with Klins Klassic 2.3.6 ROM r2.1

IEM - Sony EX310LP, Panasonic HJE900, JVC FXC80, Sennheiser CX300II

Last edited by Artmuzz; 03-04-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
My battery was sitting at 97% before going to bed. After leaving my Samsung Galaxy wifi (Player) 4.0 on "sleep" for 9 hours the battery is now reading 93%. I then played music continuously for 2 hours and now the battery is at 76%. I have wifi switched off and everything else switched off like what the instructions mentioned. this is not acceptable

I am using Audio FX widget with Voodoo Sound plus and PlayerPro for music listening. i am using SteveS kernel with Klins Klassic 2.3.6 ROM r2.1
If you haven't made the changes I listed in post 4, then what you're getting is basically normal for overnight loss and music playing. You could try deleting batterystats.bin to make sure its reporting the percentage correctly, but I would not expect a miracle. At least download and use CPU Tuner to control scaling, turn on airplane mode, etc., when the screen is off. It makes a big difference.

If you did do everything I posted, let me know, and I'll write out explicitly all of my settings in CpuTuner and Tegrak.