android
Old 03-20-2012, 03:15 AM

Lightbulb Thank u so much! But...

First of all, thank u so much for this hard work

I'm using rooted us version galaxy player 5.0

And i checked my firmware and it was

Gingerbread(of course) 2.3.5

Do i have to update to 2.3.6 to flash this Rom?

(or is it even out there? 2.3.6 firmware?)

I am not talking about rom here, but firmware

Second of all, i changed my model of my galaxy player which is YP-G70
to GT-i9000 by using root explorer to play modern combat
Do i have to set the model name back to YP-G70 to flash the rom?

Thank u!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 AM

Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leee View Post

The ROM and firmware are the same thing. You update the firmware by installing the ROM. The point of installing this ROM was because Samsung does not offer an official 2.3.6 update.

Although, having used this ROM for a while now I don't think its worth the hassle. I saw no significant improvements and the new rom did not come with ThinkFree Office like the stock one did. I actually went back to stock because I missed having that app.

Good news is that the fine people over at XDA are working on Cyanogenmod 7(gingerbread) and Cyanogenmod 9(ice cream sandwich) for our devices. If I were you I would wait for those.

Edit: I forgot to say that you do not need to rename your device before installing. However, when you install the ROM it will go back to it's original name.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I also don't think it was worth the hassle. But hell, I did it, and I'm just gonna leave it lol

Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
I also don't think it was worth the hassle. But hell, I did it, and I'm just gonna leave it lol
I'm leaving mine with this setup now too. If my Galaxy Tab gets ICS, which I think it will at some point, then if I like that I might try doing the CM9 on the SGP 5.0. But at this point, I'm happy with the SGP the way it is.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:21 AM

Default Ummm..anyone?

Thanks for answering my last question..

The thing is .. I have decided to wait for

Ics version or watever and i am using

Us version 5.0

Okay.. My question is i saw that this Rom thing,
3.0 release, one of its features was wifi using GPS
Or spmething? Does that mean i can use wifi anywhere

Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezhacker View Post
The ROM and firmware are the same thing. You update the firmware by installing the ROM. The point of installing this ROM was because Samsung does not offer an official 2.3.6 update.

Although, having used this ROM for a while now I don't think its worth the hassle. I saw no significant improvements and the new rom did not come with ThinkFree Office like the stock one did. I actually went back to stock because I missed having that app.

Good news is that the fine people over at XDA are working on Cyanogenmod 7(gingerbread) and Cyanogenmod 9(ice cream sandwich) for our devices. If I were you I would wait for those.

Edit: I forgot to say that you do not need to rename your device before installing. However, when you install the ROM it will go back to it's original name.
Do u Have any idea when will that rom come out?

Btw, i'm using player 5.0 us version..

Also, are the procedures same? I mean, flashing Rom procedures..
Even though the rom is different.. Is it same?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leee View Post
Do u Have any idea when will that rom come out?

Btw, i'm using player 5.0 us version..

Also, are the procedures same? I mean, flashing Rom procedures..
Even though the rom is different.. Is it same?
There is no time frame for when the rom will be done, the developers at XDA work on it in their free time. If you want to stay up to date with the development progress then keep checking here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1423

There is already a working alpha of CM7 and CM9 ROMs but they are still very buggy and not ready for daily use. The steps to install these ROM are different since they require clockwork mod to be already installed. When the XDA developers make the ROMs stable, I might come back here and post a new "How to" thread.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

There is already a working alpha of CM7 and CM9 ROMs but they are still very buggy and not ready for daily use. The steps to install these ROM are different since they require clockwork mod to be already installed. When the XDA developers make the ROMs stable, I might come back here and post a new "How to" thread.
It would be appreciated by many, I'm sure.....

Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The ROM and firmware are the same thing.
If you're an old computer guy like me, expect to be confused when the kids start talking about "replacing the ROM" without opening it up and pulling chips out.

They should call it firmware but I guess that's not a cool term.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
If you're an old computer guy like me, expect to be confused when the kids start talking about "replacing the ROM" without opening it up and pulling chips out.

They should call it firmware but I guess that's not a cool term.
haha yeah, I always thought it was kinda weird that we call it ROM when it's really not much different than OS partition on a hard drive. I think the term became popular from when people would copy old video game cartridge ROMs for use on an emulator. Devices today are not so "read only" anymore.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 PM

Coming over from another thread on the camera problem. Can anyone try Google Goggles and see if the camera is normal or reversed with the 2.3.6 firmware?

TIA

Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Still reversed.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:42 PM

I registered/joined here today for the sole purpose of saying thank you to SanchezHacker for your marvelous post/tutorial/pics/links....just everything in one neat package!

I just got the SGP 5.0 earlier today I already have a SG2 E4GT (Sprint) & SGT 10.1. The first thing I usually do is root & XDA, as informative as it is, has way too much info going on at one time that can make a sane person feels nuts so I appreciate you for what you did here.

I knew for a while I wanted the player but I figured I could manage just fine with my other 2 devices. I realized as wonderful as these devices are, I need my phone to be a phone first and last an entire day. Using it for media/games wasn't cutting it any more (I'm a heavy user). My tab; well, I just didn't feel comfortable using it on public transit. Its better suited for home or any indoor use.

I also upped my firmware simply because you made it so easy. I haven't had the player long enough to notice if it made a difference but that's ok. You saved me the headache of doing this later down the rode. I am a member (same name) of many Android (various) forums and didn't expect this to be so easy with my first Google search (root 5.0).

Again....a big thank you!!!!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
I registered/joined here today for the sole purpose of saying thank you to SanchezHacker for your marvelous post/tutorial/pics/links....just everything in one neat package!
Thanks ScandaLeX, glad the guide helped. May I ask what ROM version you installed? XDA Developer "eng_matt" posted a new version (v3.5) of the ROM just last night, but he didn't update his main page so I don't think most people saw it. I haven't personally tried it yet but it looks like he made some good improvements, you can find it here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=225

Also more info here too:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=223

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=219

Not sure why he broke it up into different posts, maybe he will update the main page later.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:17 AM

Just joined to add my thanks, and thanks to eng_matt.
3.5 is working for me, without wipe. (edit: was on 3.0 already).

Last edited by nooboff; 04-21-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks ScandaLeX, glad the guide helped. May I ask what ROM version you installed? XDA Developer "eng_matt" posted a new version (v3.5) of the ROM just last night, but he didn't update his main page so I don't think most people saw it. I haven't personally tried it yet but it looks like he made some good improvements, you can find it here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=225

Also more info here too:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=223

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=219

Not sure why he broke it up into different posts, maybe he will update the main page later.
This pic is the same one after rom'g from your 1st post and this new version I did earlier this afternoon when I came across it on xda. Not sure what's different cause everything looks the same to me.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Don't look build number name , that's mean nothing. I forgot change the name . Because this V.3.0 name added by me settings.apk smali parts inside and I must decompile settings.apk for name changes. I don't want to work again settings.apk for name changes. New version have big changes.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you read through the thread eng_matt posted on ABi, he outlines the changes, and there are a fair amount of them.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
If you read through the thread eng_matt posted on ABi, he outlines the changes, and there are a fair amount of them.
I got my player 4/18/12 -- rooted & upgraded to 2.3.6 from 2.3.5 that same day BEFORE even using it do anything and then this newer version which I did yesterday morning. Some of you have had your players for some time; I haven't so I've no idea what the previous differences were from out the box til now in regards to those changes.

Reading his outlined changes mean nothing to me. Again, I've just gotten my player & have not used it long enough from one version to another to be able to tell for myself the changes in relation to my player. Maybe if I had this thing a couple of months stock, then I'd be abe to tell.

Hope that's clear. I do read before tinkering. I've been reading many forums long before I got this thing & knew I wanted a rom which would hopefully give me better battery life--so far that hasnt happened.