android
Old 01-24-2009, 09:34 AM

Default "Your Player is Not Connected" Firmware Problem

Well, first of all, hello.

As suspected, I come in need of help with my Zen Vision M: 30GB. You see, as of late, it's been giving me problems. Apparently, the hard drive got corrupted awhile back, and I couldn't do as much as format the disk in recovery mode (Hard Drive Error). So this morning, I decided to turn it on, and it actually reformatted! However, awhile back I deleted the firmware, and need to reload it.

Now, I have the latest version on my desktop, but I'm getting the "please connect your player error" when I try to load it, even though it is very much plugged in. The computer recognizes it just fine, too.

I searched through some older threads and found that resetting the MTP drivers hasn't worked to remedy the problem.

Other information:
Running on XP
Windows Media Player 11 is installed
I have the original discs, and the Creative software is installed
The player has been cleaned up, reformatted, and "firmware-begone-'d" several times
The original Hard Drive is still in it

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 PM

Welcome on ABI! The firmware resides on the hard disk and, when you format it, the player can't be recognized because a firmware isn't loaded. But, if you select the option "reload firmware" from the recovery menu, the player should be recognized by the firmware upgrade package. Did you mean the "reload firmware" function by "firmware-begone-'d"? If so, try to uninstall all Creative software and, if it doesn't help, try to revert back to WMP 10 too. Keep me updated about your progresses... Have a good day!

Old 01-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsn1p3r View Post
Now, I have the latest version on my desktop, but I'm getting the "please connect your player error" when I try to load it, even though it is very much plugged in. The computer recognizes it just fine, too.
Try uninstalling WMP11 (and it's runtimes) and revert back to MMP10.

Quote:
I have the original discs, and the Creative software is installed
This would be the first step I would do; uninstall all Creative software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuybrushThreepwood View Post
The firmware resides on the hard disk and, when you format it, the player can't be recognized because a firmware isn't loaded.
When you do a Format, the firmware is not erased due to the firmware being stored on a seperate partition from the data. Only a Reload Firmware will erase the firmware installed.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-24-2009, 03:52 PM

Well, problem is, I did select "Reload Firmware."

I just rolled back WMP (it went back to 9 for some reason), uninstalled the Creative software and uninstalled the device from Device Manager. I plugged it back in, and it was recognized, but only as an MTP device, and the Zen Vision M does NOT show up in My Computer.

Needless to say, I'm still getting the error in the firmware update.

Thanks for the speedy replies, guys. Also, nice user name, Guybrush. Monkey Island is great.

EDIT: And to add on to my misery, the WMP10 installer says my OS is incompatible. Probably because of SP3. This is very obnoxious, I must say.

Last edited by tehsn1p3r; 01-24-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Try uninstalling WMP11 (and it's runtimes) and revert back to MMP10....

...This would be the first step I would do; uninstall all Creative software.
Exactly what I had already said but unfortunately it seems that neither of these two "tricks" has helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
When you do a Format, the firmware is not erased due to the firmware being stored on a seperate partition from the data. Only a Reload Firmware will erase the firmware installed.
Excuse me for the error: what's the difference between cleanup and format then? I thought that format wiped out all the hard disk contents leaving only the bootloader that isn't stored on the hard disk but on the mainboard flash memory and handles the recovery mode...

Old 01-24-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the speedy replies, guys. Also, nice user name, Guybrush. Monkey Island is great.
I'm very happy to help you if I can! Thanks for the compliment! I grew up with Monkey Island: those games were great, I agree with you!

Quote:
EDIT: And to add on to my misery, the WMP10 installer says my OS is incompatible. Probably because of SP3. This is very obnoxious, I must say.
Try to reinstall WMP 11 now (not any software from Creative) and, if the Zen isn't still recognized, connect it, uninstall the MTP device you speak about and, with the Zen still connected, let the system search for new hardware.

Last edited by GuybrushThreepwood; 01-24-2009 at 06:17 PM.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

tehsn1p3r: Make sure you also have the WMP11 Runtimes uninstalled (Add/Remove Programs; check to show updates) as well before trying to install WMP10. I would install WMP10 (with no WMP11 runtimes) before upgrading back to WMP11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuybrushThreepwood View Post
Excuse me for the error: what's the difference between cleanup and format then? I thought that format wiped out all the hard disk contents leaving only the bootloader that isn't stored on the hard disk but on the mainboard flash memory and handles the recovery mode...
The hard drive is partitioned into 2 partitions. One for 50MB for the Firmware and the rest in another for all of the user loaded data (Music, Videos, Pics, etc.). When you do a Format from within Recovery Mode, the contents of the user partition is erased and the ZVM's filesystem/database re-created to allow for files. A Format does not erase the firmware partition. When you select Reload Firmware from within Recovery Mode, then the contents of the firmware partition is erased; the currently installed firmware.

A Cleanup is sort of like Scandisk for Creaive's filesystem/database. It will correct/repair invalid links or problems within the database.

The Bootloader is stored on the ROM chip (along with Recovery Mode).

I too love the old Monkey Island games.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-25-2009, 01:56 AM

@BobbyRS

Thanks for the exaplanation! As always, you've taught me something! As far as it concerns tehsn1p3r issue, I too believe that installing WMP 10 is better but he says that he can't.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Happy to teach when I can. The runtimes of a newer WMP version can prevent an older WMP version from installing. This is why I said to check for the runtimes being installed.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-25-2009, 09:08 AM

Alright, WMP 10 was installed successfully, but It's still not detecting the Zen in the firmware updater.

Strangely enough, if I plug the Zen in while the updater is running, the "Docked" message appears on the player. As soon as I close the updater, it doesn't display "Docked" anymore. Still though, the firmware loader doesn't see it.

I just now even tried uninstalling the player from the device manager and plugging it back in, but no avail.

Where do I go from here?

EDIT: Okay, I've gotten the firmware loaded on a different computer. Now, I can't transfer anything to it. I haven't used Creative's software, but it's givin me an error that asks me to change my proxy... or something to that caliber. :-/

Last edited by tehsn1p3r; 01-25-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Alright, WMP 10 was installed successfully, but EDIT: Okay, I've gotten the firmware loaded on a different computer. Now, I can't transfer anything to it. I haven't used Creative's software, but it's givin me an error that asks me to change my proxy... or something to that caliber. :-/
Good to hear! This confirms that you might have some kind of problem with the MTP driver on your pc. For what concerns the proxy error, it's related to the internet connection, not to the Zen and honestly I can't even imagine what's causing it... How have you tried to transfer media to the ZVM?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Strangely enough, if I plug the Zen in while the updater is running, the "Docked" message appears on the player. As soon as I close the updater, it doesn't display "Docked" anymore. Still though, the firmware loader doesn't see it.
The docked screen is a result of the driver being loaded or not. When you look at the driver in Device Manager, does it show an error over its entry? When the driver is loaded, the dock screen should show on the Zen. If you disable, uninstall, or if the driver is in an error state, the screen will not show docked on the Zen.

Since the Creative software was installed inititally, it sounds as though the Zen may not be using the standard MTP driver or interferring with the detection of the Zen by the firmware application. The Creative software is known to do this when installed on an already MTP compliant WinXP. I would consider trying another computer to attempt installing the firmware.

Quote:
I just now even tried uninstalling the player from the device manager and plugging it back in, but no avail.
When you say "uninstalling the player", do you mean you right clicked on its entry and selected Uninstall from the options?

Quote:
EDIT: Okay, I've gotten the firmware loaded on a different computer. Now, I can't transfer anything to it. I haven't used Creative's software, but it's givin me an error that asks me to change my proxy... or something to that caliber. :-/
Good!

What is the exact error message? Is this error message coming from the firmware application or a sync manager (like Winamp) when trying to transfer?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 AM

Default Creative Zen wi-fi firmware errors

I have the Zen wi-fi and it has given me fits.

--Some of the errors... goes black and won't turn back on even if fully charged.
--Get the "Your Player is not connected" error
--Get the Windows device driver error.
--Don't know how to access partitioned OS, and reinstall whatever.
--I'm on Win7 64 bit. I think I saw 32 bit on the palyer I dont' remember what OS from the Win device mgr

--How do I access the recovery mode... step by step. I think a read this is where I could have the firmware reload... but how is this achieved when I'm getting the "player is not connected" error?

I'm not a geek so I need step by step. I threw down $250 for this player in 2009. I loaded one audio book and it died after the first chapter. It's been sitting in a box ever since. I see that many have had the driver and dark screen problem.