android
Old 04-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Default Blinking GPS Icon

You know the one - comes out of nowhere even though you have GPS turned off

For those who reboot to remove it from the notification area (actually started flashing again after i rebooted the other day to stop it ), the cause and simple solution was posted here - http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...ification.html

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-03-2012, 02:00 PM

it happens to me as well. and it appears to only activate when i launch apps that need online access.

but yeah reboot is not necessary, i just go in location and security and turn on all three (wireless networks, GPS, sensor), then turn them all off and the blinking goes away until the next time i reboot the SGP5.. only takes about 5 seconds but it's still annoying..

Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph View Post
You know the one - comes out of nowhere even though you have GPS turned off

For those who reboot to remove it from the notification area (actually started flashing again after i rebooted the other day to stop it ), the cause and simple solution was posted here - http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...ification.html
Thanks for the tip. I'm quite relieved I'm not the only one who has seen this. It hasn't happened very often but just enough to make the 'ol paranoia kick in.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:06 PM

This hadn't happened to me in 3 or 4 months, then was blinking again today. Wouldn't go out unless I rebooted. I hadn't used it in a day or two, and battery typically goes down only 10% in that time. But last night it went from 85% to 30%... obviously the blinking icon causing the drop. Anyone figured which app is causing this? I opened GPS Test and it showed 7 sats, but also said GPS was off... the only app running that relates to GPS was maps... (I kept force closing Maps, but kept turning itself back on, so I'm guess it's the culprit.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat View Post
This hadn't happened to me in 3 or 4 months, then was blinking again today. Wouldn't go out unless I rebooted. I hadn't used it in a day or two, and battery typically goes down only 10% in that time. But last night it went from 85% to 30%... obviously the blinking icon causing the drop. Anyone figured which app is causing this? I opened GPS Test and it showed 7 sats, but also said GPS was off... the only app running that relates to GPS was maps... (I kept force closing Maps, but kept turning itself back on, so I'm guess it's the culprit.
Over on another forum it was narrowed down to google Maps. You can go into Maps, then turn off GPS and close down. but it re-occurs. Even if you do not activate maps. I've just come to live with it. Probably blinking at least half of the time for me. Even if it is blinking, GPS is not necessarily ON. In other words, it's not turning GPS on at least.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:34 PM

On mine I believe GPS was on (even with all GPS indicators off). GPS Test would not see sats if it was off. I'll try turning it off through Maps next time. It does drain the battery at 10X normal rate when blinking. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 PM

So it seems that Google wants to know where we are, by forcing us to turn GPS on even when we don't want to. That's really annoying. Makes me want to never update it again, for fear of them enabling any additional ways to track me.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 PM

It still happens to mine. (has happened 2-3 times in the last two weeks)
Now for some reason it shuts off easy, no need to open maps, I just turn gps on a nd then off again and it has shut it off every time for the last couple of months or so.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM

Mine does it too. Only when I reboot.